Instant Apps be done on Win 10 Mobile

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Google announced instant app on android.

I think google is realizing, apps are lowering their ad revenue.

I like the concept, could this possibly benefit windows 10? Since the app runs in the browser, without install? Can the apps be universalized?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Just because one company tries out an idea doesn't mean all the rest should also jump on it. Microsoft has numerous unique concepts and ideas which fit into Microsoft's strategy and vision and not because they need to copy others. IF MS sees the need to tr out a similar concept, it would most likley appear with insiders

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Instant apps use a lot of Google's apis so it's unlikely they will be cross platform compatible.
As for the more general idea of cross platform web apps, there have been some effort towards that by Mozilla for its Firefox OS and by Ubuntu, but none of it worked out so far, they are still too slow to work properly compared to native apps. Safe to say we won't see anything like that in near future.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that W10M has bigger issues before we worry about "nice to haves" . I don't think it is something that we need before the basics.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think that W10M has bigger issues before we worry about "nice to haves" . I don't think it is something that we need before the basics.

I have to agree with this. W10M needs to still learn to walk properly and you're asking for it to start sprinting. Slowly and surely wins the race, apparently.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I might be wrong, but couldn't a part of this be handled by bots (on Skype) and such?
I'm not sure there's much overlap between those.

Instant apps are about improving the user experience if they're on a webpage.

Bots are about handling and parsing text information to do tasks, if I understand them correctly.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you. But at the same time, an OS developer can't operate strictly under this frame of thinking. The way technology works, the "nice to haves" often become "must haves" over time. It's the nature of technology in a competitive market.

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
I agree with you. But at the same time, an OS developer can't operate strictly under this frame of thinking. The way technology works, the "nice to haves" often become "must haves" over time. It's the nature of technology in a competitive market.

Also, with windows mobile where it is, cross platform compatible apps are one of the few ways the platform can close the app gap. Instant apps don't fit this bill, but they certainly are a small step in that direction.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, with windows mobile where it is, cross platform compatible apps are one of the few ways the platform can close the app gap. Instant apps don't fit this bill, but they certainly are a small step in that direction.

This was my unsaid intention. i m surprised people didnt get it, shouldnt microsoft be working on standardizing this because it will help their system have more quality connected "apps"

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
This was my unsaid intention. i m surprised people didnt get it, shouldnt microsoft be working on standardizing this because it will help their system have more quality connected "apps"

I believe Microsoft is working towards that goal in it's own way by promoting Cortana. I think they believe the future of most apps is virtual assistants. To what extent that is true only time will tell.
I also should mention that a lot of good work towards cross platform web apps is being done by the Linux communities, mainly for Ubuntu phones and Microsoft along with many other software companies are involved in such projects to a small extent. They may finally be able to develop good web apps that can be used on any platform.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I also should mention that a lot of good work towards cross platform web apps is being done by the Linux communities, mainly for Ubuntu phones and Microsoft along with many other software companies are involved in such projects to a small extent. They may finally be able to develop good web apps that can be used on any platform.

Is there an official project? Next gen HTML?
That reminds me, that is how nokia failed, relying on the mobile web...
well that and google stealing Java but making it incompatible with real Java and leaving Nokia out of the mix, Nokia at the time ran Java Apps on all their platforms. I can't believe the jury keep awarding google the win on that case, they need a competent jury. They should make them pay their profits to Oracle and all people who got left out that supported Java at the time.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon