Finally upgraded AT&T 830, some issues (battery!)

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday's article about the thought of MS forcing upgrades reminded me that I hadn't tried the Upgrade Advisor in a while. Lo and behold it actually worked. Definitely some improvements, I like the overall vibe, but some minor annoyances, and one big elephant in the room. Seems kind of weird that things are now left-to-right oriented instead of vice versa, and not having screenshots of pinned websites is a big step backwards. I have several pinned to one live tile and when I open it up I get a giant grid of blue squares. Not ideal. Minor to be sure, I'm sure I'll find other quirks as I dig deeper.

My big shock so far is how fast the battery seems to be draining. On 8.1 my battery life was outstanding, and all my settings seem to have migrated to 10 regarding push notifications, background apps etc, so I'm not sure if I can tweak them any more. My searches for help seem to all end up relating to 8.1. So, does anybody have battery help regarding 10 specifically, or is it the consensus that WM10 is just going to be a battery hog from here on out?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday's article about the thought of MS forcing upgrades reminded me that I hadn't tried the Upgrade Advisor in a while. Lo and behold it actually worked. Definitely some improvements, I like the overall vibe, but some minor annoyances, and one big elephant in the room. Seems kind of weird that things are now left-to-right oriented instead of vice versa, and not having screenshots of pinned websites is a big step backwards. I have several pinned to one live tile and when I open it up I get a giant grid of blue squares. Not ideal. Minor to be sure, I'm sure I'll find other quirks as I dig deeper.

My big shock so far is how fast the battery seems to be draining. On 8.1 my battery life was outstanding, and all my settings seem to have migrated to 10 regarding push notifications, background apps etc, so I'm not sure if I can tweak them any more. My searches for help seem to all end up relating to 8.1. So, does anybody have battery help regarding 10 specifically, or is it the consensus that WM10 is just going to be a battery hog from here on out?
Sorry to say but W10M is not as good on battery life for phones that had WP8(.1) on them. I can recommend a hard reset but I don't think that would do much for you.

Sometimes MS might release an update that can help improve battery life a little bit, but since you have tried everything (I'm assuming you have done the whole "managed by Windows" thing for some apps), there isn't anything you can do, in my opinion.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I was afraid of that. Not sure if I did the "managed by Windows" actually. I will research that. My phone did do another immediate update overnight and battery usage seems to be better (I went from 100% to 70% in less than 2 hours of non-use after the first update).
Another quick question. You used to be able to see notifications by swiping down on the lock screen. Now it seem you have to unlock the phone first. Another step backward if this is the case.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Also, is it just me, or can you not back out of a website, then Edge altogether, with the back button? I got so used doing this with IE mobile that it's second nature. But I keep finding about 6 or 7 old open Edge tabs every time I launch the app. I guess I'll get used closing tabs manually before closing the app. But what a pain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon