Windows 10 Mobile Devices and Shutting Down

TuanLVT

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why it takes longer to shut down a Windows 10 Mobile Phone (950 XL, etc) than it does to shut a nuclear reactor down? I've tested multiple devices and even with hard resets, it takes forever for the devices to shut down. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

I have the same problem with lumia 950 sometime it doesn't shut down at all or its long shutdown but mostly it shutdowns fast... I don't know what is the cause and I have to shutdown/restart my phone cause some time my phone doesn't give me any notifications... By restarting it helps for few days...

There should be a poll to ask ppl of this problem.

Last edited:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
My Idol 4S just shut down in 10 seconds (I do always close all apps before shutdown). My L640 does take a long time.

nanayawboasiako

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why it takes longer to shut down a Windows 10 Mobile Phone (950 XL, etc) than it does to shut a nuclear reactor down? I've tested multiple devices and even with hard resets, it takes forever for the devices to shut down. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

Well when you're a phone - particularly one whose sheer existence is in doubt ( in the eyes of the uninformed which is pretty much everyone who is not a windows mobile fan) - and your usefulness is your only reason of being, and your owner, for some unknown reason tries to put you out.....you most likely would hesitate especially since you might not have a clue whether you would be ever turned on again.
I say Microsoft put a semi-intelligent artificial...well, intelligence (probably codenamed 'moraNO!') which fears the dark and has little incentive to bring about its own demise.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My 1020 routinely takes 5-7 seconds. My 950 routinely take a full minute, and all too frequently has taken up to 5 minutes to shut down. I'm running the latest build on the 950.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Yes. Ever since I use windows 10 mobile, shutting down takes a long time regularly. I have seen shut down times of 20-30 seconds. I generally accept them. Startups are regularly long too. That is annoying.

johnnypdx

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, anywhere between 45 seconds to a few minutes on my 950XL running 15063.2. It's quite frustrating considering I need to reboot more than I'd like. It's one thing Microsoft has never really been good with.

My laptop with an SSD reboots like mad though. From click of the restart button to login prompt in maybe 30 second, usually feels like less. Why can't they do the same for phones?

alextabunshchik

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Shutdowns take more than 2 minutes, startups are OK. L830.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Never have to take a picture and you're with someone who says

"take the picture"

and you say

"I have to turn it on" and three seconds later there reply is

"take the picture, what takes you so long",

to which you reply

"it's the phone" then they reply

"your stupid and so is your phone".

Then you say, "it's a good phone, it's Windows."

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Booting up a BlackBerry feels like trying to wake up a 3000-year old man to put him on the track and get him running at 120 KM/H! I know I sound like an impatient drama queen right now, but seriously though: they take painstakingly long to load!
Hey don't be dissin' my long lost Quark.

Sent from mTalk

anton267

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
1st, because they're not meant to be shut down or rebooted. They're not Androids or iPhones to need their daily reboot to function. :winktongue:

2nd, because they don't take long. Not unless you have any poorly implemented third party apps running in the background, which don't handle gracefully a shutdown request.

Zhenren Zhou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
When I shut down my Lumia 950 sometimes, it boots itself back up.. And most of the time when that happened, I only wanted to restart the phone... but yes, sometimes my Lumia would take over 1 minute to shut down..

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Well when you're a phone - particularly one whose sheer existence is in doubt ( in the eyes of the uninformed which is pretty much everyone who is not a windows mobile fan) - and your usefulness is your only reason of being, and your owner, for some unknown reason tries to put you out.....you most likely would hesitate especially since you might not have a clue whether you would be ever turned on again.
I say Microsoft put a semi-intelligent artificial...well, intelligence (probably codenamed 'moraNO!') which fears the dark and has little incentive to bring about its own demise.

I think you just solved everyone's problem. No one will ever want to shut a WM phone down ever again after what you said.

RICARDO HOLLANDA

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site

O meu também demora muito, principalmente quando mais quente porém já me disseram ser normal em dispositivos cujo Processador é muito potente.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
1st, because they're not meant to be shut down or rebooted. They're not Androids or iPhones to need their daily reboot to function. :winktongue:

2nd, because they don't take long. Not unless you have any poorly implemented third party apps running in the background, which don't handle gracefully a shutdown request.

That makes sense, had been wondering whether this was just me or something other users have experienced. My 950 can take 3+ minutes to turn off, to the point that the auto screen-off setting kicks in but the phone is still in the process of powering down (i.e. pressing the power button to wake will still show Goodbye). Guess I'll have to accept it as is since I doubt anything can/will be done to improve it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3