One heck of a week for W10 Mobile. What's everyone feeling?

anon(9023697)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I love my W10 mobile, and I wish MSFT actually showed some love for the platform so that developers could see that they were putting money/resources into it, then there might actually be a chance for it to survive (And I hope it does)... But to be honest I think the truth is going to hurt... I really can't see by the way MSFT have let everything crumble down around them that they could ever get mobile back to where it needs to be. I really can't see any love for mobile by the end of this year... and that is a SAD SAD thing! :-(

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll be hanging onto my 950XL until you pry it out of my cold, dead hands...

Just don't care for Android and I LOATHE iOS. WM works for me.

And I seriously think that the OS will become more of a 'pocket productivity' device with telephony, designed more for business users.

gavhamer

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've tried Android, had all the apps, been there and done that for 5 months and came back to Lumia. Fundamentally, I don't enjoy using Android or iOS, but I do enjoy Windows Phone/Mobile. I think it's mostly the Live Tiles. Anyway, I have an Android phone that I can use for specific apps/devices, but most days I only carry my 950XL.

I'll be here until either WhatsApp or Garmin Connect stop working. If they keep going I'll be happy to turn the lights out at the end.

I am thinking of getting another Lumia 950XL as backup:
BT Shop

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I wish Nokia to make Lumias again with customized android to exactly look like windows 8.1. Possibly a successor to L1520.we missed that big text style and so unique look. Who wants continuum and so called gimmicks? I'm still using my Lumia 1520 with 8.1 because of its stylish look. MSFT is not giving any hope to mobile users, if they want to end support to Lumias because of hardware limitations..OK go ahead but why can't they continue support for 8.1? I changed to windows 10 before one month and returned to 8.1 again.

KingyOwl

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to accept that Microsoft will probably not continue with Windows Mobile and I am unlikely to find a Windows based replacement for me Lumia 950XL.

I plan to keep it around for as long as the hardware and battery lasts; at which time hopefully Microsoft has some other form of "mobile" solution or I'll move to Android and have my data advertised around the web!

E4est

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
For the first time since 2012 I'm considering to get an Android device like the Blackberry Priv. I know, shame on me, but if Build 2017 is a disappointment for Mobile again, I feel forced to do so.
It's your turn Microsoft.
cmon microsoft.png

epakrat75

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
At least to me Windows Phone has a reputation for attracting nonconformist fans who likely aren't going anywhere soon. You've also got the hardcore fans. Since these do not make up the entire fanbase, you also have the lemmings. These lemmings often mirror the emotional states of others and since they're typically larger in number, they can become the face of Windows Phone disenchantment to the public. Articles get written because doom, gloom and click bait headlines get views. The sky is falling, Windows is fated to perish the way that Blackberry did. Whatever.

Things were not great before Win 10 but this is going to be Windows Phone's best year. As S developer myself I look at UWP and what represents. I read about Redstone 3 and love the idea of potentially running x86 architecture code on my phone sometime this year. I'm optimistic.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Despite much munching and grunching from Windows Central these days about Windows Phones. Every day I enjoy using my 950 XL running 15063.138. I received my phone the day before Thanksgiving 2015 so was one of the early adopters of the 950 XL and W10M. Today I find the OS fast and smooth. Where else today can I get all of the following in a hardware / software package :

Security
Fast Charging
Wireless Charging
Dual Sim
Replaceable battery
Custom Backs (I have 5 Mozo backs)
SD card for virtually unlimited storage
Great camera
Ability to pin web pages to my home page
Cortana to track flights and packages
Automatic back up to One Drive
Ability to cast my screen

The only hardware / software combination that comes close is Galaxy/Android but I don't like the bloatware and security issues around Android.

I think MSFT has a vision for phone/mobile and I think once they come out with a pocket Surface they will be in an excellent position to deliver a great user experience out of the box. Just look at their track record recently with HoloLens and Surface. Why all of a sudden do people think that Panos can't redefine phones ?

I am very happy with the creators update and my 950 XL. I will buy the new Panos phone when it is launched. For those people who are still hanging on to older Windows Phones, go out and spend $300 on a great 950 XL. I paid twice that at launch and went through the growing pains with W10M but for half the price and 18 months of constant updates, there is no reason not to buy one.

I'm proud to be one of the 1% W10M users.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Part of me wants to write a really long response. The other part of me wants to just write this and leave it at that. Alright,

I can tell which part of you won out. ;)

As for me, I'm sticking with Windows 10 on my phone for as long as I can have Windows 10 on a phone. Heck, if I can get Full Windows 10 on ARM on a 7" tablet with SIM support that I can make cellular calls with, I'd be thrilled with that and go with it. I never hold my phone up to my ear to take a phone call anyway. It's always a Bluetooth headset. Always. Okay, not always. Speakerphone if I'm doing a family call so my girls can chat with the grandparents.

My wife and I bought Lumia 640s over 2 years ago for $30 each, upgrading from a Lumia 635 which upgraded our 520s. Worst case scenario will be I'll carry around a 7" or 8" Windows 10 Tablet that has a Data SIM and a "dumb" flip phone for phone calls. I'll never go Android or iOS. I know, "never say never" and all that. I just did. I meant it. I meant it like I say, "I'll never kiss a hippopotamus on the mouth." Believe it.

Come to think of it, flip phones were so much easier for phone calls. I do a very small amount of anything on my phone. I make phone calls, have an occasional text, and in a pinch when I don't have my laptop with me, I use it to check product reviews before deciding to purchase something in a brick-and-mortar store. My new 8" tablet will be here later this week, and it's the same dimensions as the Samsung Tab A 7" tablet (way to go with the large bezels, Samsung.) I can actually hold it with one hand comfortably. Don't expect to swipe one handed, but it's what I'll carry for those situations so I don't need to use my phone. I also use my phone to check gas prices before getting gas. GasBuddy web site works fine for me, even since they discontinued the app, I can still use it.

The only other thing I use my phone for is to use it for my Bible in church. I think it's too small for that, but my 8" tablet will be here before next Sunday, and I'll no longer use my phone for that either. I'll just leave it in my vehicle.

pitoka

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm still here, because of the Zeiss camera, the AAC stereo microphones and the replaceable battery. If Android or Apple would offer all of that I'd probably switch. And everyday I hope MS will regain its senses and finally realize that a viable mobile platform is crucial to its very existence.

Skynet3D

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand.
With 8.1 MS was doing great on mobile side and the way they took was the right one.
I really don't understand what happened with W10M.

johnnypdx

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

I, for one, am going down with the ship. Say what you will about Windows phones, there's one argument that still holds true, Microsoft MUST have a mobile telephony SOMETHING in the portfolio, period. "Surface Phone", "Windows 10 on ARM"... Call it what you will. Now is the time for them to kick it up a notch. My 950XL still had enough life in it to get me through the next year or two. I can be patient.

Oh Captain, my Captain! *stands on desk*

What ticks me off is what happened to the Band. Mine finally kicked the bucket this week and I LOVED that thing. I'm going to have to choose to buy another or try going to FitBit (and I HATE FitBit!). *sigh*

Rashik Maharjan

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
About killing windows phones.. I really felt bad... But if its really gonna be that way then first make windows phone better.. "Best"
We want to get blown up by new features and best performance. Hope microsoft wont give up on windows phones.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm hanging with Windows Phone as long as I can. The OS is solid, the performance is an order of magnitude better than the early 10000 builds and plugging in my work credentials gives me a dual functionality phone where everything just works together. I don't like hitting the browser to get to Nest or other missing apps, but I can and that works for me. I'll weather this as long as W10 on a phone-like device is around.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The Edge still works poorly dealing with links within a website. When trying to find more information on a subject on a website, good luck trying to tap on a related website link. It's not handled correctly by the browser.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

I'm already an Android and an iOS user beside windows 10 mobile, if it vanished, I'll be happy using other platforms and services, I'm an Office 365 subscriber but Microsoft apps and services are superior in the two major mobile platforms anyway, so no regret, Microsoft is a company, trying to protect it's business, I'm a consumer/user trying to get the best of the technology i spend my money on! Everyone is happy! :excited:

anon(10190630)

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
All they​ have to do is keep support for the phones that are still not 18 months old (which are very few) and then after Redstone 3 start bringing phones that run full Windows 10 (modified enough to scale to mobile screens and scale back to full while connected to an external screen, therefore getting rid of continuum)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes