Microsoft Reportedly Testing New Phone With New Windows Mobile OS

Random DS

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's a reboot, just a transition. UWP apps, which will be the ones that'll work on the new version are a thing for like two years now, and we have many UWP apps already. Other than that, Silverlight apps really need to go. They're not modern by any means. Lastly, there is not a single reason why Microsoft couldn't push this new version to existing devices. And even if, for whatever reason they don't do it, UWP apps will continue to function on older versions (alongside Silverlight apps). Not getting OS updates for your phone isn't the end of the world, for example, android users don't seem to be bothered at all because of It 😁

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Dont get your hopes up. I love the Windows 10 mobile OS, even as I liked Windows Phone 7+ but, Microsoft NEEDS to get a clue on how to run a business and marketing sometimes. Really clueless if they wanted a CHANCE to succeed in the mobile market.

It's a joke. "We are not going after the consumer market anymore", then, support is dead, no new models, No promition, no new apps or promition for Devs. Only models are that carriers have are older models that are not even supported any more (for the most part). Apps are falling off by the hour, never mind day. Marketshare goes from about 5% down to 0.5 and where is Microsoft ? Hello ?

They just give up and they want to come back ? Sure maybe they can build up some marketshare but, it's going to cost them 2X of the billions they spent before to even HAVE A CHANCE.

Never mind they need to have Anroid apps or iOS apps with a store that can be used directly, so the app gap is not an issue.

I'll tell you this, if Microsoft came up with a new device that supported Android or iOS device (for the app selection) plus their selection of their own (for tiles, and other WM features), I would jump back in a second...

It really seems like Microsoft is just so out of touch with the consumer...

While I agree that MS has not done well in the mobile market, they are far from clueless on how to run a business. That's a bit of an exaggeration.
Also, what is promition?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
All you can do is laugh. Microsoft always with the head fake. "iPhone will never catch on...", "Mobile first...", ect, ect, ect...
Truly, I don't think even the top of the food chain at Microsoft even knows what they want to do. All they know is their mindshare keeps falling while Googles and Apples' keeps growing. Why? Um, they actually INVEST in their mobile platforms. Until Microsoft actually does that with actions instead of just empty words they will continue their decent into obscurity.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm pessimistic. I think Microsoft has completely, totally, utterly lost in the mobile space. Nothing can change this course now as the Android-Apple duopoly is cemented. They had momentum with WP7 but IMO squandered a good thing.

Abject disregard for quality doesn't help matters, either. I mean, why does WiFi keep disconnecting on my 950? Why does the screen stay black when trying to end a phone call? Why are so many notifications missed? This is BASIC FUNCTIONALITY that they're unwilling or unable to make right. To go off topic briefly, people holler "hard reset, hard reset, hard reset" on these forums like it's a requirement to make W10M function properly. No user should ever have to do that. This software is rotten to the core and deserves to die. Because of this disaster MS has lost my business. I don't care if a Surface Phone craps gold nuggets, I'm NOT interested.

While I agree that there is currently an Android/Apple duopoly in mobile, I disagree that is cemented. Nothing in tech is forever, it is forever changing. We're just too impatient.
MS is building for the future, so is Apple and Google. They're just coming from different directions.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
All you can do is laugh. Microsoft always with the head fake. "iPhone will never catch on...", "Mobile first...", ect, ect, ect...
Truly, I don't think even the top of the food chain at Microsoft even knows what they want to do. All they know is their mindshare keeps falling while Googles and Apples' keeps growing. Why? Um, they actually INVEST in their mobile platforms. Until Microsoft actually does that with actions instead of just empty words they will continue their decent into obscurity.

What would Microsoft investing in their mobile platform look like to you?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused by the CShell, hopefully Dan or Jason can clarify. They're mentioning that it will only run UWP, does that mean that it's just a shape-changing version of Windows 10 S, without the ability to run .exe/x86 programs when connected to a laptop or docked, that is also not upgradeable to Windows 10 Pro? And what happens to the x86 desktop apps that were ported to the store using the desktop bridge but don't resize well for a device with a small screen. How does CShell work with these ported programs?

The best way to think of CShell is as a launcher. You may be familiar with the various launchers on Android (Nova, Arrow, Pixel, etc). CShell is the launcher for Windows. It implements things like the desktop background, the start menu, the task switcher, the task bar and it is tightly integrated with the Windows file explorer.

Currently, W10M, W10 for IoT, Hololens and W10 have different launchers. CShell will become the common launcher for all of them. On phone sized devices it will shrink down to look something like what we have on W10M today. On desktops it will likely resemble what we already have on W10.

Currently, phone sized devices supporting continuum give us a very sparse desktop experience when they are hooked up to a larger monitor. With CShell, phones could provide the exact same desktop experience as a real desktop computer. The opposite is also true. MS could install full W10 on a phone sized device and allow CShell to provide the user with a start screen and task switching experience similar to what W10M provides today. CShell will provide a much more similar set of features on any sized screen.

The article the OP linked to is pretty messed up. The launcher and the UI technology apps use to compose/render/generate their own UI are completely unrelated (or at least they should be). There is no technical reason why existing Silverlight apps couldn't be launched via CShell. MS might strip every OS that ships with CShell of Silverlight support, but then that lack of support isn't directly CShell's fault.

I suspect the author misunderstood something and is probably conveying things that don't quite line up with what MS actually has planned. IMHO it's unreasonable to conclude anything based solely on what is written in that article.

Mike G

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I believe Microsoft decided to halt its own mobile ecosystem (retrenchment) precisely because they knew One Core requires another reboot which would take more than a year to complete. This probably led to the reasonable concern that selling legacy devices and allowing continued development of non-UWP apps right up to the day yet another new and incompatible architecture was ready for release, would alienate customers and developers even more (if you can imagine)! Even though I've been just as traumatized as the next fan, I'm starting to see this big gamble on One Core as a bold and smart move over the long term.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think there's one easy metric to see whether their new strategy will be a success. I know a lot of people will groan, but it's when snapchat becomes an app. Reason why I say this (i've never used snapchat) is because it's emblematic of a world which doesn't need microsoft. It lives only as apps on two phone OS's.

Windows on phone will only be a success when a company like snap has no choice but to support the platform. Even with full windows on a mobile device, I really see no compelling reason to go to it. MS is snookered, and they may not have any decent way out of it.

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
sounds like a sh*tty idea. Windows Phone fans never wanted a desktop like experience on a phone, which is what seems to be happening. The phone experience up until 8.1 was way better than on the PC.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
sounds like a sh*tty idea. Windows Phone fans never wanted a desktop like experience on a phone, which is what seems to be happening. The phone experience up until 8.1 was way better than on the PC.

I think you didn't get what CShell is all about. CShell gives an UI which adapts (not only scales) to your screen size. So if you use a phone (4" - 6") you have your mobile UI, if you go beyond that you'll get the desktop UI

Salen

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
It's not just about the UI - it's the services. At least for me. After the Lumia 950 getting ****ty reviews, I first switched to BB10 to just experience the death of another good OS there. Now, a Nexus 5x is my electronic assistant, and honestly - Android looks and feels a little bit like patchwork.

How the front end is solved, I don't really care about. All I want it to be, is to be informative (and the tiles are awesome for that)

What I really miss on my Android Phone is that uniformity in services, Windows Phone offered to me. Cortana on Android is more like a sad joke, while Google Now just puts everything into the Google Account (I refuse switching to). I often used the feature to my Phone reminding me to topics connected to a certain person or place. Sure, Google certainly offers something like that - but am I able to set these reminders easily on PC and Laptop without needing to start some apps? Natively on both, PC and phone?

All CShell is giving me is hope, that MS in fact isn't letting Windows on phones die.

And regarding to the Silverlight issue - I don't like Silverlight, as I dislike Flash. Sure, there are some essential Apps written in Silverlight, but honestly - there are about 10 to 20 essential Apps you need. Why isn't MS just getting in touch with Facebook, telling them to program WhatsApp as a Universal App while covering the expenses?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think there's one easy metric to see whether their new strategy will be a success. I know a lot of people will groan, but it's when snapchat becomes an app. Reason why I say this (i've never used snapchat) is because it's emblematic of a world which doesn't need microsoft. It lives only as apps on two phone OS's.

Windows on phone will only be a success when a company like snap has no choice but to support the platform. Even with full windows on a mobile device, I really see no compelling reason to go to it. MS is snookered, and they may not have any decent way out of it.

Also to add, their retrenchment is the reason they will struggle capturing consumer market again but probably Ms is not targeting that, they will go after enterprises.
With Nokia, they inherited solid distribution networks in many countries and MS simply abandoned them, just look at surface devices, despite their popularity their availability is limited outside US. It works for them because they leave the 2in1 markets to OEMs but same strategy will not work with mobiles. They need first party hardware and they need it to be available in most of the regions that formerly embraced WPs

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I believe Microsoft decided to halt its own mobile ecosystem (retrenchment) precisely because they knew One Core requires another reboot which would take more than a year to complete. This probably led to the reasonable concern that selling legacy devices and allowing continued development of non-UWP apps right up to the day yet another new and incompatible architecture was ready for release, would alienate customers and developers even more (if you can imagine)! Even though I've been just as traumatized as the next fan, I'm starting to see this big gamble on One Core as a bold and smart move over the long term.

Erm yes that's fine up to a point but rather than having some alienated mobile customers they no longer have any customers at all and they ain't coming back. Think I know which is worse.

jason hendry1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Terrible idea to reboot again. Windows 8.1 was great I loved it on mobile but the masses didn't and why, some of the popular apps like snap chat and google apps like you tube were missing. But it was more. I love live tiles bit most of my friends dont. Now microsf5 has such a bad reputation and name too. One drive storage remove weeks before 950 release. Xbox always online, rebooting both windows mobile 7 and 8.1 and leaving their own customers left out and bitter.

Now in 2017 the app store is In worst condition that ever before with no ebay or even paypal app myfitnesspal and add the main app missing like google or snapchat and that's only beginning to paint the picture. My less that 3 year old phone the lumia 930 no longer officially supported. The jokes keep on coming from microsoft.

Rebooting platform and having big useability apps like what's app stop working even for a week is Gona **** people off but let's be honest, if microsoft can't bring their own gestures app from 8.1 to windows 10 in 2 years or need 2 reboots of Skype and 2 years to give use features we used years ago in Skype. Hell calender got a weekly view 11 months after official release and outlook got linked inboxes closer to 12 months after release, I don't see anything other than all these issues increasing.

Don't get me wrong theres very few windows mobile users left the nearly last survivors gave up on 2016 after 4 years of faithfulness, whoever's left is Gona sprint to android or apple if apps like you tube metro or what's app break or and take too long if ever to 'reapear. They never should have left it so long for a flagship phone. Microsoft should have kept making phones and supporting them primarily with their own software and they haven't. They could have stuck with 8.1 and improved it there not alienate tour own customer base.

I'm on a s7 edge now and unlike the lumia 930 where I got 15 gig free storage on one drive before they removed it with lame excuses , I get I 00 gig on one drive cause I own android. Only issue is I use play store to buy my content cause groove music doesn't read my sd card. Then again it's not like the s7 and s7 edge were best selling phones in 2016 lol. Still at least microst is consistent, my ipad doesn't even have a app for groove lol.

How can we take any windows mobile phone rebooting seriously after these catastrophic series of errors by microsoft? Can any of use ignore the issues that keep happening to this day. Look at edge it kinda sums up state of windows with it's new tab default page restrictions and the forcing edge on internet explorer tab section so people accidental press and use edge. Still at least they havemt forced wondows 7 and 8 users onto wondows 10 yet. Oh wait they have?
Microsoft has reached its time. It might get another chance but I just don't thing the trust is there anyone with the consumer.

Windows 10 mobile phone isn't what's needed, I think Microsft needs a proper reboot, a change of name and even a new logo cause at this time I a no longer fan boy as of 2016 and nearly every person I talk to doesn't have anything nice to say about microsoft. They have a damaged name now.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Cshell is really nothing new. Android has had adaptive scaling of apps, depending on screen size and resolution, forever. It's the reason why some apps look fine on a typical Android phone, yet look kinda of funny and not optimized on a tablet screen.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I look at it this way:

If a Reboot will leap frog the current, and next years iOS and Android systems, then I'm ALL FOR IT.

If its is just a catch-up Reboot, than it's not going to any more of an impact than Window 10M did.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Also to add, their retrenchment is the reason they will struggle capturing consumer market again but probably Ms is not targeting that, they will go after enterprises.
With Nokia, they inherited solid distribution networks in many countries and MS simply abandoned them, just look at surface devices, despite their popularity their availability is limited outside US. It works for them because they leave the 2in1 markets to OEMs but same strategy will not work with mobiles. They need first party hardware and they need it to be available in most of the regions that formerly embraced WPs

Do you know for certain they lost their channels? Maybe they just do not have them available for anything other than mobile?

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Abject disregard for quality doesn't help matters, either. I mean, why does WiFi keep disconnecting on my 950? Why does the screen stay black when trying to end a phone call? Why are so many notifications missed? This is BASIC FUNCTIONALITY that they're unwilling or unable to make right. To go off topic briefly, people holler "hard reset, hard reset, hard reset" on these forums like it's a requirement to make W10M function properly. No user should ever have to do that. This software is rotten to the core and deserves to die. Because of this disaster MS has lost my business. I don't care if a Surface Phone craps gold nuggets, I'm NOT interested.

I'm with you on this. Even the much ballyhooed Creators Update is a hot mess. Things just don't work the way they're supposed to work; the quality control of Mobile is simply not there, where it makes you want to throw the Lumia 950/XL out of the nearest window (har-har-har).

I wonder how long it'll take until somebody responds with, 'Did you hard-reset....?'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes