Why do the messages I send show more than 1 recipient?

Jett West

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Previously, when I sent a text to one person, on my end, my phone would show 2 recipients. I thought maybe it was counting me, but, now when I send a message to one person it shows 3 recipients. Anyone have any ideas on why?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have been seeing something simlilar. Where I text one person and it says 12 recipeints. But when I open it shows my one text to one person. I have a 12 recipient mms and it seems at times Microsoft Messaging hiccups and crosses the messages or headers. Then if I kill the app (swipe it down of the screen) and reopen it it goes back to normal. Do you see this no matter what you do even after a reboot?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Product Elite x3 Verizon
Installed OS version 10:0:15254:12
Hardware version PV1-V
Firmware version 0007.0000.0030.0024

Thanks,
@Jett West I'm guessing you're referring to your elite x3 as well?

If not, which phone?

Also are you guys using the Verizon variant?

I have a few guess but they are just guess at the moment, the only time I had experienced this issue was way back prior to the initial GDR update for Wp8.x on my L920. I resolved it by going to the SMS history section on outlook.com (now removed) and removing all group texts.

Group texts also caused a blockage in resyncing backed up SMS and the only way to get rid of that was to delete the group thread in the cloud back up via outlook.com.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Alcatel S Windows 10.

I see, that makes this even more odd as my initial guess was it was something on HP's side as Microsoft over fired their engineers during the layoffs and therefore are lacking heavily on the CDMA side. That may or may not be the case at present, I would imagine the former given the number of issues with CDMA and HP is most likely dealing with that side of the network. Since Microsoft is not actively developing smartphone code to put it simply.

Which network provider are using the Alcatel S on?

Also can you guys can please use the quote button or us the mentions @ when responding lol. Otherwise people have to go through the participate list to see if people have responded and that is rather time consuming :grincry:. Thanks :).

Joe Valente

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Same problem started yesterday. Every time my wife texts me from her Nokia 830 it says "2 recipients" on mine. Is it possible her phone was hacked and now someone is routing her text messages to their phone anonymously?

Joe Valente

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Do either of you have unlinked contacts under the same name in your contact list?

I don't. UPDATE: Two conversations in the messaging app with the same name. One says "3 recipients". When I select that one a completely different conversation with a different persons name appears. When I return to the main page of the messaging app it again lists 2 conversations with the same name one showing "3 recipients". Problem went away this time when I shut down and restarted phone. We'll have to see if it returns. My wife and I both have Nokia 830. Problem starting occurring after latest update.

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I am also having the same issue. I have even performed a backup of the SMS message and inspected the XML which is output, I cannot see anything in the SMS which would cause the issue.

This is occuring with even contacts who I have only exchanged 3 messages with.

Have tried exporting, deleting all messages, and reimporting - does not fix.

Looks like the bug has been introduced by the December 2017 update. Trouble is, how on earth would would we notify Microsoft of this problem?

Susan Wilkinson

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
I'm using the Alcatel S Windows 10.

I'm using the Alcatel Idol 4S and I'm having both of the issues stated here. In single person text-message threads I have seemingly random numbers of recipients. AND I also occasionally have the problem of what appears to be duplicate threads. That is, "John Doe" shows up more than once (and sometimes more than twice) in my list of text threads. Once I click through the actual recipient shows, but it doesn't always match what I clicked.

If there's a fix for these problems, I'd love to know it.

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My FIX - install older version app of Microsoft Messaging.

The Messaging app was updated on 11/30/2017 and that is specifically when this problem started. It looks like some people in this thread noticed the issue after the December CU, but for me it started the same day Messaging was updated. So I'm not surprised at all that your fix was to install the previous version.

Is there any way to do this without Interop?

I'm having a difficult time finding who I should be contacting at MS with regards to this problem. SMS is a basic functionality of a phone and this is a problem that is difficult to work with. And we're approaching living with it for nearly 2 months now. I was aggravated that they'd update the app right before the holidays because that's generally the time of the year where the staff is down to barebones and very few updates are pushed out because nobody is around to correct problems if they arise. But I figured since it was done that I'd probably have to live with it throughout the month of December. And reports of the issue are all over the Messaging section of the Feedback hub.

But it's time to get Microsoft's attention on this issue. If anyone knows who I might try to contact I would greatly appreciate it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The Messaging app was updated on 11/30/2017 and that is specifically when this problem started. It looks like some people in this thread noticed the issue after the December CU, but for me it started the same day Messaging was updated. So I'm not surprised at all that your fix was to install the previous version.

Is there any way to do this without Interop?

I'm having a difficult time finding who I should be contacting at MS with regards to this problem. SMS is a basic functionality of a phone and this is a problem that is difficult to work with. And we're approaching living with it for nearly 2 months now. I was aggravated that they'd update the app right before the holidays because that's generally the time of the year where the staff is down to barebones and very few updates are pushed out because nobody is around to correct problems if they arise. But I figured since it was done that I'd probably have to live with it throughout the month of December. And reports of the issue are all over the Messaging section of the Feedback hub.

But it's time to get Microsoft's attention on this issue. If anyone knows who I might try to contact I would greatly appreciate it.

HP has even taken to Microsoft about this apparnetly. You can read one of the members posts about that here toward the end/most recent posts...

I vaguely remember if I noticed issues around November but I believe it. And to answer your question the only way would be to interop unlock the phone and uninstall the current version and install a previous version and hope it does not update. Micrsoft needs to address this though. However it could be a low priority bug that takes longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon