Is Windows 10 Capable of utilizing Telephone and SMS?

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So I have wondered about this for a while and have heard different people say different things. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to make a difference, lol.

So far we have had phone whose hardware I was told was not capable of running full Windows without severe issues.

So I guess my question is this:

If a hardware oriented company wanted to, could they produce a device running a full version of windows, or is there some restriction legally or otherwise that prevents them from giving us what we want? I understand that screen size and scaling would be difficult, but is it possible to get the Telephone and SMS in the full version of windows to work if there was a sim card on the system?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It’s possible with enough work and I’m pretty sure it’s been done before but it’s ultimately not the most practical for a phone.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
But the negative results are just the way it presents on a screen that size? I mean that's what I am taking away from everything I am reading. So people say full windows on a phone is impractical, are they just really saying that because Microsoft hasn't provided the proper layout for a small screen option?

Sorry, I am just trying to understand what we are waiting for in a new device. I hope Microsoft actually knows many people are hoping for something that can actually simplify our lives like a mobile device that can do everything our laptop can do. I am just tired of lugging around multiple things.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Historically companies had to do some work to make cellular telephony and whatnot work properly. I know the Messaging app, at least at one point, was receiving only so LTE-enabled devices could receive carrier texts but that was it.

Desktop Windows has a massive footprint (minimum requirements + breathing space can add up to over 30 GB) and so much more moving “parts” than a traditional smartphone.

People typically want their phones to have as little downtime as possible and getting updated, when updates are available, is fairly simple on iOS and Android. Windows takes a lot longer for feature updates, etc. and might not be tolerable for some.

There will be much more overhead as well - an antivirus, search indexer, etc depending on what you use.

The apps aren’t there anyway. Having Visio or Steam on a phone would be pretty nifty but you won’t get countless mobile apps that I do use when out and about. Not many would be willing to kneecap their phone that much and you’ll still need multiple things like a lapdock to truly make use of your phone’s strengths while without such support hardware, it could very well be less suited for daily phone tasks than a Windows Phone as we know it.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Historically companies had to do some work to make cellular telephony and whatnot work properly. I know the Messaging app, at least at one point, was receiving only so LTE-enabled devices could receive carrier texts but that was it.

Desktop Windows has a massive footprint (minimum requirements + breathing space can add up to over 30 GB) and so much more moving “parts” than a traditional smartphone.

People typically want their phones to have as little downtime as possible and getting updated, when updates are available, is fairly simple on iOS and Android. Windows takes a lot longer for feature updates, etc. and might not be tolerable for some.

There will be much more overhead as well - an antivirus, search indexer, etc depending on what you use.

The apps aren’t there anyway. Having Visio or Steam on a phone would be pretty nifty but you won’t get countless mobile apps that I do use when out and about. Not many would be willing to kneecap their phone that much and you’ll still need multiple things like a lapdock to truly make use of your phone’s strengths while without such support hardware, it could very well be less suited for daily phone tasks than a Windows Phone as we know it.

I get what your saying with more overhead, but with apps, weren't they developed for phones to be less resource consuming and not dependent on a web browser because phones couldn't run a full web browser?

I have tended to use my browser a lot, I use very few "apps" as it is and would prefer a device with full windows running on it. I like the idea that I could access my Samba shares on my server and copy a file or folder to my phone without the hassles I have now... and burn cd's etc., etc.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not only is it possible, it's easy. With T-Mobile Digits and an LTE-equipped tablet or laptop you can have a ginormous phone to put up to your head for phone calls and subject yourself to the sincerest form of ridicule.

All bulls**t aside, there is a Digits app for PC that you download and your x86 device becomes voice/SMS capable. I did it with a Surface 3 LTE and it works just fine as long as you hide in a closet away from public view.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Awesome, its not for a laptop or tablet actually. I am wanting to install an e3io Windows 10 Pro system in my car but I wanted to make sure I can make it fully functional before I do. This solves my last hurdle.

But before I take the next step I just need test all this out on my pc at home first.

Has anyone else used one of these?
https://e3io.com/2din_intel_carpc_se

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon