06-22-2018 05:57 PM
264 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I bought a Lumia 800 at launch which ran Mango and it was the best mobile OS experience I've had. There were major issues that were corrected with later updates (list of missed notifications etc). It was a fantastic phone. I did feel burned by the handset not being able to run Windows Phone 8. We instead got Windows Phone 7.9 which, while still was a great improvement, left us behind less than a year after launch and I felt burned. It was a hardware issue and that's always a risk of being an early adopter but it was a really bad move.

I still prefer the way Windows Phone worked. I loved the live tiles, color schemes, basically everything. The one thing that kept me from returning to Windows Phone is the app gap. If there was a way, any way (via jail-breaking or whatever) to run iOS or Android apps on Windows Mobile, I'd be back on a Windows mobile device in a flash.

I'm now on an iPhone but would jump back if the apps I use were available.
    aximtreo, Jcmg62 and X0LARIUM like this.
    03-21-2018 07:24 PM
    Just got myself a HP Elite X3 and I love it. Been using Sony Xperia's for a long time but the integration with my laptop and my Surface is so much better with W10M. The apps I need still works and the rest is possible to do in Edge. Will use it til it dies. Hoping someday there will be something new from Microsoft that maybe is possible to use on my X3. Since Windows 10 runs on Snapdragon, maybe there will be something usable for our phones in the future.
    fin11 and X0LARIUM like this.
    03-21-2018 11:18 PM
    All phones are usable in the future, as paper weights.☺
    Ulf Gille and nate0 like this.
    03-22-2018 05:20 AM
    Switched from my 950XL to a Sony Xperia Z5P. It's a beautiful phone, amazing display, same specs too, but it's just not the same. Had to switch because someone threw my 950XL across the room :( That phone had the best camera on the market. Still have my old 1520 though, and I do take it out every now and then, just to keep it updated. Reminds me how much I love that OS, just didn't have the apps. I hate Android, but Sony keeps it bare bones and I was able to ditch everything Google and install MS apps, including Launcher, but it's definitely not the same fluid experience. Cortana is lacking big time. Please come back Windows Phone!!!
    nate0 and Jcmg62 like this.
    03-22-2018 11:16 AM
    All phones are usable in the future, as paper weights.☺
    At some point someone should invest in a phone recycling business. Maybe it has already been done....Take in all old phones. Maybe through innovative special ovens bake off the metals of the PCB and other circuit board components for reuse. Work on recycling the Gorilla glass with Corning and even invest in RnD for ways to reuse or recycle all the OLED and LCD components. They could even with all this waste have their own handsets made directly from the recycled material....
    aximtreo and Jcmg62 like this.
    03-22-2018 04:22 PM
    I'm actually about to pull my Idol 4S out the drawer. I put it up for a Blackberry Passport and that is/was a dang good phone that was dealt the same hand as Windows Mobile and WebOS before it; awesome OS hampered by the need for apps. I'm just like it is what it is. I'm looking at either purchasing Lumia 950, LG G5, or the LG V20. My only hang up regarding getting the LG phones is I refuse to run them with Google Services, which means I would have to run an AOSP rom, which removes the OEM camera software.

At this point, I just wish T-Mobile releases an LTE feature phone that allows me to tether to my 8in Windows Tablet when I'm on the go.
    03-23-2018 12:10 AM
    Windows OS is just a great OS on every platforms. On mobile was just missing the apps. Imagine using all your current Android apps developed for Windows 10 with UWP. Seriously, would simple be great.
    But let's wait for the new enviroment beeing design.
    v_emman likes this.
    03-23-2018 05:06 AM
    So nearly 3 months into using an Android phone. It's a OnePlus5T. Great phone. Ok'ish operating system.

Just pulled my Lumia 950 out of the cupboard and fired it up for old times sake.

I really miss that OS. How it synced so perfectly with outlook, contacts, calendar, Cortana, office. Between my Surface devices and lumia phone eveything just worked seamlessely. It was a perfect harmony.

I should stop taking it out and switching it on. I should just send it off to be recycled. It makes me too sad when I power it up :(

I miss my Lumia 1520 everyday...
    fin11, aximtreo and Jcmg62 like this.
    03-23-2018 09:18 AM
    OMG...I got a malware popup on my Android device while reading report from a reputable website. My finger must have accidentally grazed a bogus add on my screen. Could not get rid of it until I killed the tab. It kept telling me my 'Android device needs to be updated right away and to click here!' lol

In 3+ years on my Windows phones never once saw anything like this. 1+ week using Android...go figure.
    aximtreo, Jcmg62, FunGuy13 and 1 others like this.
    03-23-2018 05:13 PM
    Welcome to the brave new world of android :-\
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    03-23-2018 08:26 PM
    The irony in that was that I was using Edge for Android :O
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    03-23-2018 10:13 PM
    The irony in that was that I was using Edge for Android :O
    This happens to me at least once a week using Edge on V20. Never happened on Idol 4S.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    03-23-2018 10:40 PM
    This happens to me at least once a week using Edge on V20. Never happened on Idol 4S.
    I use a V20 but use Chrome or Firefox. I don't use Edge on any devices, even my PC.
    fatclue_98, Elky64 and aximtreo like this.
    03-23-2018 10:54 PM
    I use a V20 but use Chrome or Firefox. I don't use Edge on any devices, even my PC.
    But it has a dark theme....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-23-2018 10:59 PM
    Android is only superior because of modifications to the recovery. If it weren't for the advanced root features compared to windows mobile root features, id definitely prefer windows phone
    03-24-2018 05:22 AM
    Try the Samsung Internet Browser. It has a very good AdBlock and has the controls at the bottom of the page so you're not stretching your thumbs off the knuckles.
    nate0, Elky64, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    03-24-2018 07:00 PM
    Very rarely use Edge myself except on our Windows Phones when we have one out for a spin (like as of this post toying with our 950), even then we try to avoid instead opting to use BlueSky Browser - my browsing experiences on W10M has been pretty dismal (slow/clunky) compared any other device I presently own and have not found any browsers available to bring it up to a level it should be, especially on the 950.

For Droid I'm all in w/Samsung's Internet Browser. Feels totally natural with its bottom nav bar layout (back/forward, home, bookmarks, tabs) and the ease of accessing the clearly laid out bookmarks. Finding so many pluses compared to the others and sure wish it was available for WP cuz then maybe my three could become somewhat useful again LOL.

And to me my bookmarks on Samsung's browser looks so much cleaner than our favourites on WP...

browsers.jpg
    Last edited by Elky64; 03-24-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    03-24-2018 10:42 PM
    Try the Samsung Internet Browser. It has a very good AdBlock and has the controls at the bottom of the page so you're not stretching your thumbs off the knuckles.
    Yup my go-to browser on all my Droids now. Samsung, IMHO, really got it right with this one.
    fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    03-24-2018 10:47 PM
    Yup my go-to browser on all my Droids now. Samsung, IMHO, really got it right with this one.
    Agreed. I didn't get why people liked it so much until I used it myself.
    fatclue_98 and Elky64 like this.
    03-26-2018 12:47 PM
    After now i am 8 month on Android, while my Dad has my old L950, and my Mom a L550. Got back to them last weekend to do some IT maintenance, and had a hard time giving the L950 back. It's just so much better in every aspect.
    Timbre70, Jcmg62, fin11 and 1 others like this.
    03-27-2018 02:47 AM
    Went from Win10M to Android. Miss the whole Windows ecosystem that extended to my phone. Now have a Note 8. Nice phone, put SquareHome2 on it for similar look to Win10M. Works well and thoroughly recommended. Be happy to go to Win10M again if the chance arrives. I'm afraid when it comes to total integration, fluidity, etc. Android & IOS just don't have it.
    Last edited by teiva; 03-27-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    03-27-2018 04:41 PM
    I loved the OS; Android is still a hot mess which feels thrown together (especially in the settings). I think what I miss most though is the ability to use Cortana in my car to create meetings, reminders, read and respond to texts, etc.
    Leslielbk likes this.
    03-28-2018 10:18 AM
    I loved the OS; Android is still a hot mess which feels thrown together (especially in the settings). I think what I miss most though is the ability to use Cortana in my car to create meetings, reminders, read and respond to texts, etc.

I could've written this myself. Except that I went back to W10M and got a new Lumia 650.
    ajj3085 and aximtreo like this.
    03-28-2018 12:21 PM
    Yep.

Losing Ring was the app that did it for me. I actually NEED that one so I had to shelf my Lumia 950XL. Tried out iPhone X... in addition to feeling like Apple products are a direct insult to my intelligence, their upgrade to 64bit architecture actually meant they were disallowing me to use a massive chunk of legacy applications... went to a Note 8, poor battery life killed it for me.

Right now I've found comfort with the DOOGEE Mix... but what really bugs me is that I'd rather have invested my interest in super-low bezel phones towards the Lumia 435 Vela that was supposed to be.
    cancelled-microsoft-lumia-vela.jpg

Man... Microsoft shoveled out so many underwhelming generic low dollar Lumias, then they had a chance to be ahead of the industry and they ******* backed out. If they'd have released this phone, I'd still be using it today even with the poor state that WM10 is in.

To answer the question though, I absolutely miss it. I miss my games giving me actual achievements that count towards my Gamerscore, I miss being all-in on UWP, miss the interface (none of the launchers on droid simulate the experience even half as well), miss the mail app... hell I even miss just how simple settings were.
    nate0, Jcmg62 and aximtreo like this.
    03-28-2018 12:42 PM
    It's the little things W10M done automatically that Android doesn't do...

My best example of the past week: parts of my home and office get crappy WiFi, so I often turn it off on my OnePlus5T and rely on 4G. Problem is, I forget to go back into settings and turn it back on. I've gone a couple of days before realising I'm using my data allowance.

W10M allowed you to turn off WiFi for a set period of time, then it would automatically switch itself back on.

Smart. Simple. Elegant
    nate0, fatclue_98, fin11 and 2 others like this.
    03-29-2018 12:46 AM
264 ... 56789 ...