Will we be able to upgrade from Windows phone 8.1 to Windows phone 9

Shan Ali Khan

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,
Can you upgrade our current windows phone 8.1 phones like 520 , 1020 to Windows phone 9
If Microsoft wont do this I think they will make a huge mistake by leaving the majority phones as old platform.

shergitt

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hmm not too sure, I mean we all know what happened to Windows Phone 7 devices. This was a question that went trough my mind from since the announcement of WP 8.1. It will sure be a mistake if they do that.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Let's face it , Windows Phone needs all the PR and reputation it could get , and with the kernel being even more optimized and compressed ( wp8.1 update1 and w8 update 1 ) Microsoft is working on a better support for the low end and o, naturally , older hardware , and unless the 530 dethrones the 520 or WP 9 is so good that people ( who were screwed over btw ) would buy a new phone or they decide to go all iOS on us , I think there's a 80 % chance the 820+ will get WP 9 and 60% the 720- will get it too but again if they go apple like , it might lack some features especially key features because they need to sell new phones while keeping the old one compatible.
The best argument I'd support my opinion with is universal apps , they want to give access to a maximum of users and they realize that some people only use / can only afford second hand phones or older models .

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi ,
Can you upgrade our current windows phone 8.1 phones like 520 , 1020 to Windows phone 9
If Microsoft wont do this I think they will make a huge mistake by leaving the majority phones as old platform.

Since Microsoft isn't updating the kernel in the foreseeable future and the majority of Windows Phone users own a 520, there is a very high chance that 520 and above will get Windows Phone 9.

Let's face it , Windows Phone needs all the PR and reputation it could get , and with the kernel being even more optimized and compressed ( wp8.1 update1 and w8 update 1 ) Microsoft is working on a better support for the low end and o, naturally , older hardware , and unless the 530 dethrones the 520 or WP 9 is so good that people ( who were screwed over btw ) would buy a new phone or they decide to go all iOS on us , I think there's a 80 % chance the 820+ will get WP 9 and 60% the 720- will get it too but again if they go apple like , it might lack some features especially key features because they need to sell new phones while keeping the old one compatible.
The best argument I'd support my opinion with is universal apps , they want to give access to a maximum of users and they realize that some people only use / can only afford second hand phones or older models .

I found your statement about iOS weird, you said "they decide to go all iOS on us" what problems does iOS have with updates? They update their phones for 3 to 4 years, and that's pretty amazing if you ask me.

jmpa07

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
No they can't make the same mistake that did with WP7, because of that I started using iOS but I decided to give a chance to WP8 with a Lumia 925 😎

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I said it on another thread of this type before, if Microsoft tells me that my 928 won't get WP9, I'm leaving the platform.

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
May or may not. As the windows phone advances it minimum requirements are increasing. Maybe dual core may work for windows phone 9 but 512 MB ram doesn't.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Maybe high end phones can upgrade. MS hasn't changed the kernel yet so hopefully there won't be a WP7 to WP8 crisis again. I'm not too sure about low memory devices like the 520. There are already some users (I personally know one) who experienced slowing down of their phone after upgrading to WP8.1. What more if they further upgrade to WP9? The hardware limitations will really pull down some devices.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi ,
Have you ever heard of Windows Phone 7? IOW, its happened before.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
hardware wise I'm almost certain all 8.1 supported devices will get 9.0 (beware of carrier support though..) from what I've gathered and understood, microsoft always wanted to make all devices upgradeable to every update, they just ended up having to make a very hard decision, and in the end, chose to rewrite the os with a new kernal to help progressed toward the WP8/WRT merger

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi ,

Let them announce it first, and I bet the answer we're all looking for will be on the announcement too. :)

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Joe Bilfiore answered the question already:

SO ... we're trying to build an experience that runs cross device on your PC, your Xbox, your Phone-- in a service-oriented way (think: cloud collection)... but simultaneously work for the hordes of people who manually sync content using the shell or itunes. Getting both of these right has been challenging.

We moved away from the PC Zune client in the interest of serving the broadest phone-buying audience in the way they already knew. We learned that many people who ALREADY USED itunes or the shell viewed learning a new Zune client as a "speedbump" in the way of getting going on a new phone. So, we changed the structure to appeal better to those people.

The new experience in WP8.1 Dev Preview will get us to one system that works GREAT for "ordinary sideloaders" (it works with the Windows Shell) AND for people who use multiple devices and are more "cloud-oriented". it's re-architected to handle both of these well-- and in particular we're shipping it as an app on the phone and have committed to regular updates which will make a BIG difference over the next few months. You've seen one already and more are on the way.

Upcoming in the app: you'll see perf improvements (we hear you!), better stability, UI improvements (some of you have been asking for a "swipe" to change tracks), etc. etc. Do take a "months" time view of this, as there's plenty of stuff in the pipeline.

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon..._joe_belfiore_from_the_windows_phone_team_ama

mobilejk

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Based on Joe Bilfiore's comments I'm confident my duel core 1520's will get upgraded to WP9. As they should since they were purchased on a 2 yr agreement back at the end of 2013 so by end of 2015 MS device division should have their WP9 phablet available.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Before some of you get all up worked up over windows phone 9, get a bucket of cold ice water and chucked it on yourself :winktongue:

Sit down and think, what happened with windows phone 7 was a kernel change - they changed the heart of the operating system to the NT kernel from Windows CE (This is what powered the Sega Dreamcast back in 1999 Microsoft Announces Windows CE Toolkit for Dreamcast).

This same heart that fuels Xbox one, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista and Xp (plus a myriad of enterprise products).

Now, if you still think Microsoft will do a kernel hop for Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9... :grincry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xCwLirQS2-o#t=16

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes