Where is Cortana? almost ready to dump WP

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the developer preview that wouldn't update because of the 0x8....308 error. It's been prompting me to update almost everday. Last week we had a baby, recorded some videos took some pictures etc (should have used my wifes iphone). A couple of days ago I had enough of the 308f error and decided to reset my phone. Oops, i hadn't done backups and lost the pictures and videos. My fault I guess.. although not sure why I have to deal with this nonsense in the first place.

Anyway phone has reset, I got Windows 8.1 update 1. Firmware version is 3051.50009.1424.000. According to this page, my Rogers L920 is on Windows 8.1 update 1 Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 Release Date in Canada - Lumia Cyan

but wait. There's no cortana on my phone. No cortana settings, no cortana app. What the hell?

For settings..
Language: English (Canada)
Speech: English (United States)

So basically I reset my phone for nothing. Spent all my time fiddling with this thing. How does MS think they are going to get more than 3% share with a phone that requires so much maintenance, is region limited, has ****ty notification system, crappy music player, terrible alarm time apps, no good games. Very annoying indeed but that's what I get for trying something with the name "Windows" in it right?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The first sentence in that article is absolutely wrong

The wrongness said:
Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 which is called as Lumia Cyan Update

Nokia's firmware for Windows Phone 8.1 is Cyan. The Nokia firmware for Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (GDR1) is "Denim". It's pretty understandable that you're confused by this article, it's confusing WP8.1 with the later update (preview only at this point).

This is why WPCentral should be the go-to place for accurate news.

Basically, Cortana for Canada comes with the "Denim" update which comes after Cyan. People who are in the Preview for Developers program will have it early because they get OS updates from Microsoft earlier.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital