How is this possible same kind of architecture to run on PC tablet phone and XBOX

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Since your PC, laptop and even surface pro has fans to cool the Intels, how is it possible the same exact OS to run on phone processors as well on laptop and stuff?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is already happening.

Windows Phone 8 uses the NT kernel. Surface RT uses the NT kernel and lastly, Windows 8 uses the NT kernel. The only thing different is the interfaces and specific drivers required to run the hardware. To use the simplest terms.

Windows 10 is just making things more consistent across all devices allowing developers to make one Metro app for all devices instead of individual ones for each system. This is the key feature of Windows 10 and has been MS's goal since the change in Windows 8.

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok so after all my software can run on the phone why should I need Intels power and fans???
And since the NT is the same, can I build Win32 windowed like programs for my phone???

I think all these changes about the OSes being one OS actually are just interface b*ll**** and smoke in the eyes

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok so after all my software can run on the phone why should I need Intels power and fans???
And since the NT is the same, can I build Win32 windowed like programs for my phone???

I think all these changes about the OSes being one OS actually are just interface b*ll**** and smoke in the eyes

I think you misunderstand some things. Only 'Metro apps' will be cross platform not x86 programs. You won't be running full blown Windows software on your phone as it simply wouldn't be a great idea. Also the reason why you have fans etc is for more powerful software. Don't expect to run high end 3D games or other intensive software on a phone any time soon.

x86 processors are not the same as ARM processors. The OS backend is the same (the kernel) but the the CPU architecture it runs on is different. For now.

Maybe one day we'll have portable computers the size of phones that just slot into interfaces to use with lager screens or use wireless technology but we're not there yet.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Why? What is the difference between these two things

Well if you want a full explanation I suggest you look up Wikipedia or find some information on the net. To use the simplest terms - one (ARM) is designed for mobile devices, low energy and other mobile technologies. The other (x86) is designed to handle desktop/laptop software and hardware.

When you're talking OS you're talking software. When you're talking CPU you're talking hardware. You can have the same OS on different types of CPUs and hardware but what those CPUs and hardware are made for are different things.

Using the term 'architecture' is probably where you're getting confused. There's software architecture and hardware architecture. They are not the same thing.

Hopefully makes a bit more sense.

Expression2

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Fact is: Metro apps are compiled in CLI, which is not direct machine code, but is executed by the WinRT Framework instead. WinRT's job is to translate CLI code into machine-specific code. Here's an interesting fact: You can run apps built on the .NET Framework on the Surface RT and Surface 2 and Surface Pros as well but not x86 apps (Only on Surface Pros). Why? Apps on the .NET Framework are compiled in CLI, and on Surface RT, .NET translates that into ARM code that runs on Surface RT; while on Surface Pros, the .NET Framework translates the CLI into x86 code, making .NET apps nearly universal

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

good question. the answer is you don't.

but when you want to edit 4k video, would you prefer changes happen in right now, or lunchtime next week?

or better yet, wHich x86 programs are you dying to use on your phone?

I'm betting both answers involved crickets and chirping.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

The underlying difference beyond the software is the hardware architecture that the CPU is built with. Intel uses x86 which is found in pretty much anything nowadays(desktops, tablets, console) Phones and tablets use ARM. These two are incompatible with each other. Since x86 has dominated the desktop space for many years every desktop software is coded for the x86 architecture. These will not run on arm.

In terms of power, intels are way more powerful but at the same time way more power hungry, which is why they need fans to cool them. Passive cooling will not be sufficient. Arm is the opposite, it's more power efficient but weaker which is why these are found in smaller handheld devices where battery life is a major concern.

Going back to the app question. If you coded something for win 10 desktop (win32) you can't run that on the phone. However if you coded something using the universal app APIs it will run on all the win10 devices.

The same underlying NT kernal allows enough of the code to be shared so you don't have to make different versions of one app to support different devices.

It is the same but it isn't the same.
I'm not a programmer so I could be wrong on everything but this is just how I understand the whole concept behind the windows 10 and the one os philosophy.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The underlying difference beyond the software is the hardware architecture that the CPU is built with. Intel uses x86 which is found in pretty much anything nowadays(desktops, tablets, console) Phones and tablets use ARM. These two are incompatible with each other. Since x86 has dominated the desktop space for many years every desktop software is coded for the x86 architecture. These will not run on arm.

In terms of power, intels are way more powerful but at the same time way more power hungry, which is why they need fans to cool them. Passive cooling will not be sufficient. Arm is the opposite, it's more power efficient but weaker which is why these are found in smaller handheld devices where battery life is a major concern.

Going back to the app question. If you coded something for win 10 desktop (win32) you can't run that on the phone. However if you coded something using the universal app APIs it will run on all the win10 devices.

The same underlying NT kernal allows enough of the code to be shared so you don't have to make different versions of one app to support different devices.

I'm not a programmer so I could be wrong on everything but this is just how I understand the whole concept behind the windows 10 and the one os philosophy.

^^this guy hit the nail on the head!!
he isnt a programmer but he understood it exactly!!

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Since your PC, laptop and even surface pro has fans to cool the Intels, how is it possible the same exact OS to run on phone processors as well on laptop and stuff?

Because basically it is not the exact OS. A lot of core elements will be the same, but the OS not. Each OS version (ARM, x86/64) will implement the libraries for running the same apps, but the low layer of the OS will be different.

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

^^this guy hit the nail on the head!!
he isnt a programmer but he understood it exactly!!

And he doesn't seem to be a "hardware" engineer either.
The emotion was so big that I almost cried here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)