The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-20-2014 12:38 PM
65 123
tools
    If Not ... Let us stop buying a Windows Phone even the cheapest one L530 and move to android one or IOS ..!!
    10-12-2014 08:25 AM
    Notice how Pranshul said: "all devices will be upgradable"?

That "upgradable" is they key word. It's the same language MS has used since WP8.0 was released. It's not the same as saying all devices will be upgraded!

The reason is that MS can't guarantee much. MS will ensure that WP10 can run on all devices (hence "upgradeable") but MS can't guarantee WP10 will be distributed to all devices. That is the carrier's job, over which MS has no control. The Lumia 810 is an example of a WP8.0 device that has been abandoned by the carrier and no longer receives updates.

Unfortunately, the WP community has yet to find a good response to this type of question. Most often a contradictory mess of non-information is all you'll get.

Often you'll be assured everyone will get the next update, but all you need do is look at the Lumia Icon forum to see how uncertain people really are of such assurances, particularly when it affects their own phone (Verizon has apparently EOL'ed the device).

I don't know what the best answer is either. Everyone with a WP8.0 device should get the W10 update, as MS and device OEMs expect carrier's to do that for their customers, it's just not guaranteed.
    Not as of yet. Windows 10 is still in Technical Preview for PC/Surface only
    10-12-2014 08:26 AM
    Yes, but in sprint 2015 it released the windows 10 mobile, all wp8.1 can upgrade to windows 10 mobile
    10-12-2014 08:30 AM
    This had not been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, so speaking in absolutes can't be done. But, they changed things in WP 8 for a reason...
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-12-2014 08:41 AM
    This had not been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, so speaking in absolutes can't be done. But, they changed things in WP 8 for a reason...
    It most certainly has been confirmed by MS -

Joe Belfiore: Windows 10 preview for phones and ARM devices isn't due until 'well into 2015' | Windows Phone Central

First sentence of that article-

Microsoft's Joe Belfiore has confirmed previous rumors that a preview of Windows 10 that will run on ARM devices like Surface RT and Surface 2, along with Windows Phones, won't be released for a while.
    10-12-2014 08:49 AM
    10-12-2014 09:44 AM
    Dont worry, every phone with windows phone 8 & above will be upgradable to windows 10 for mobile
    iamakii likes this.
    10-12-2014 10:02 AM

That "upgradable" is they key word. It's the same language MS has used since WP8.0 was released. It's not the same as saying all devices will be upgraded!

The reason is that MS can't guarantee much. MS will ensure that WP10 can run on all devices (hence "upgradeable") but MS can't guarantee WP10 will be distributed to all devices. That is the carrier's job, over which MS has no control. The Lumia 810 is an example of a WP8.0 device that has been abandoned by the carrier and no longer receives updates.

Unfortunately, the WP community has yet to find a good response to this type of question. Most often a contradictory mess of non-information is all you'll get.

Often you'll be assured everyone will get the next update, but all you need do is look at the Lumia Icon forum to see how uncertain people really are of such assurances, particularly when it affects their own phone (Verizon has apparently EOL'ed the device).

I don't know what the best answer is either. Everyone with a WP8.0 device should get the W10 update, as MS and device OEMs expect carrier's to do that for their customers, it's just not guaranteed.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-12-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: formatting
    10-12-2014 10:50 AM
    My bad, but I'm still not convinced that any of us will actually get it.
    10-12-2014 11:03 AM

Practically all WP8.0 devices can be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1, even if carriers don-t supply a firmware update.
    10-12-2014 01:49 PM
    Practically all WP8.0 devices can be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1, even if carriers don-t supply a firmware update.
    I guess that depends on our definition of "upgrade". Ultimately, it's the OP who must clarify whether having the developer preview as the only option would be "good enough".

IMHO trying to sell the developer preview as the equivalent of an update that is sanctioned by both OEM and carrier, and which also includes firmware, is not completely honest. It's workable, and certainly better than nothing, but the average Joe would probably feel deceived after being told he's 100% certain to get all updates, and then learn that the developer preview is the only way forward, particularly if Joe is used to iOS.

The fact that we had many people with developer preview related issues (particularly camera and battery related) also makes me somewhat reluctant to say both are equivalent.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-2014 02:39 PM
    If Not ... Let us stop buying a Windows Phone even the cheapest one L530 and move to android one or IOS ..!!
    Although I'd be disappointed if we don't all get it, I'm staying with Windows Phone.

I don't like Google, so Android is out of the question, even if you ignore the security holes its riddled with. There are millions of Android users who are currently open to an ASOP browser flaw, which will never be patched and means those users could fall victim to identity theft. Before that was the revelation that Android devices only delete the directory tree when reset, leaving files readable through a PC; great if you sold your Galaxy through eBay.

I avoid Android like the plague and my standing advice is for everyone to do the same.

I have far more confidence in Apple, but don't like their style. Although the iPhone 6 solves one big problem - screen size, I find iOS boring. Having a dynamic user interface spoils you for static icons.

Finally, let's for the sake of arguement assume what you say is true; say that Microsoft announce that Windows 10 needed a Snapdragon XXX system on a chip. This would mean any device released before the 1520 would become obsolete with the release of W10.

Would this really be such a disaster? After all everyone with a 520, 720, etc would still have perfectly functioning devices and those with older models like my 920 are already going to miss out on certain features like DNLA. After almost two years, I feel that I've had excellent value out of my purchase.

The other reason it wouldn't be a disaster is also the simple truth that most people upgrade their phones every two years or so, so won't have to wait too long before they upgraded to a new device.

Of course, I'm in a privileged position, because today I decided to buy a new Lumia 930 and it's going to be 160 cheaper than the 920 was. It's hard to argue when things are going so well. :)
    10-12-2014 03:56 PM
    I guess that depends on our definition of "upgrade". Ultimately, it's the OP who must clarify whether having the developer preview as the only option would be "good enough".

IMHO trying to sell the developer preview as the equivalent of an update that is sanctioned by both OEM and carrier, and which also includes firmware, is not completely honest. It's workable, and certainly better than nothing, but the average Joe would probably feel deceived after being told he's 100% certain to get all updates, and then learn that the developer preview is the only way forward, particularly if Joe is used to iOS.

The fact that we had many people with developer preview related issues (particularly camera and battery related) also makes me somewhat reluctant to say both are equivalent.
    The OS can be upgraded regardless the carrier, it is the firmware that can be upgraded only by the carrier.
    10-12-2014 04:00 PM
    I think Microsoft wants everyone to be on the latest OS possible, the dev prev program is a clear sign of its plans, if they are talking about surface RT being updated to windows 10 then I see no reason for excluding current windows 8 or 8.1 phones, as they are on par with the surface rt's performance, im pretty sure im getting w10 on my L928, not with all features of course, but im a bit more concerned about lumia firmware updates being blocked by carriers, Microsoft should start including it with their dev prev now that they own "lumias"
    10-12-2014 04:25 PM
    I think it would be a silly concept to release an OS that is going to be one OS (Well almost) that runs on devices with screens from 4 inches to massive and then preclude all the devices that have small screens.

Do we really have to face a whole year of posts that are just speculation based on rubbish.

Bob
    10-12-2014 05:12 PM
    The OS can be upgraded regardless the carrier, it is the firmware that can be upgraded only by the carrier.
    You might want to mention what approach you're advocating for. It's not helpful to just say it's possible.

And again, many would consider what you appear to be advocating "false advertising". If someone asks if they will get future updates, they'll usually understand the answer "yes" to mean they'll get everything... not half or parts of it.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-12-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    10-12-2014 05:28 PM
    As far as I know many wp7 users were mad coz their phone were not upgraded to wp8, MS reasons, the Ce and NT thing, well, if wp8 will not be upgraded, whats the reason again, oh the hardware, well, im afraid that wp market share will go down again.
    10-12-2014 05:45 PM

That is where Preview For Developers comes in, as the preview builds are usually the same as the release builds and avoid the stupid carrier nonsense.
    10-12-2014 06:06 PM
    That is where Preview For Developers comes in, as the preview builds are usually the same as the release builds and avoid the stupid carrier nonsense.
    Read more of the thread before quoting? See post #11
    10-12-2014 06:09 PM
    You might want to mention what approach you're advocating for. It's not helpful to just say it's possible.

And again, many would consider what you appear to be advocating "false advertising". If someone asks if they will get future updates, they'll usually understand the answer "yes" to mean they'll get everything... not half or parts of it.
    No one can answer the OP question the way you want, at least no one on this forum. It is like asking "will be able to upgrade to 8.1 all the WP8 devices"? The answer is yes, with or without the DP, even if Cyan is not released (yet) for Lumia Icon.

And OP isn't asking that, he is asking if WP8.1 devices will be upgraded to W10, and you agree that only firmware is the issue.
    10-12-2014 06:28 PM
    We'll probably have more answers to this during BUILD but until then in theory YES it can be upgraded but I am not sure if the Gen 1 WP will work so well.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-12-2014 06:52 PM
    The answer is yes, with or without the DP, even if Cyan is not released (yet) for Lumia Icon.

And OP isn't asking that, he is asking if WP8.1 devices will be upgraded to W10, and you agree that only firmware is the issue.
    We don't really know what the OP is asking, as the OP hasn't been clear whether the developer preview would be good enough.

Either way, I'm not sure if everyone who's camera stopped working after installing the developer preview would agree with you, that the developer preview always represents a viable upgrade path. I suspect many would think it does not. Just getting the newest OS version installed doesn't count. It also needs to work correctly.

Moreover, how about the Lumia 810? Have we been able to install the latest version of WP8.1.1 on it, with or without the developer preview (I haven't heard that we have, but I could be mistaken)?
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-12-2014 07:55 PM
    I firmly believe all current WP8 and WP8.1 updates will be upgradeable to Windows 10, I really do. Of course, some of the "older" hardware will be limited in the way of features (I.E: How the iPhone 4 and 4S were excluded from enjoying AirDrop support on iOS 7), but they will get the OS, even if it's only in name.

Any "modern" hardware (anything that shipped with WP8.1 already onboard, plus the 1520 and Icon) will get most if not all the new features and benefits Windows 10 will bring (whatever those may be) for its device category (I.E: 530 will get all the new "low-end" features, 830 will get all the new "mid-range" features, and the 1520, HTC One, 930, etc. will all get new "high-end" features).

For older hardware like the Lumia 1020, 920, 520, etc., the water is a little more murky. I know I was rather disappointed with Cyan on my Lumia 1020, it was an update in name only, and didn't had any visible new features to 8.1 beyond optimized firmware. This could very well be the same thing for those on "older" hardware when Windows 10 rolls around. You'll get the update, but it'll be in name only.

We'll have to wait and see how things pan out, but (aside from evil carrier medaling) all WP8+ devices will receive the update to Windows 10. How much benefit said update will bring depends on your device and its hardware, but everyone will get it nonetheless.

EDIT: This is all purely my speculation. This is not officially endorsed and/or leaked info from Microsoft. Microsoft has yet to say anything on the subject, so I'm just speculating based on what I think will happen. Take my post with a grain of salt, as you should with all things written in public-forum posts on the Internet.
    10-13-2014 01:04 AM
    You`re not really right . I give you an example : look @ the thing with the HTC 8X . Those users were able to receive the 8.1 update , BUT they needed a carrier update for the chipset , processor and other things . At some point you won`t be able to receive the dev preview because of the carrier . Like someone said in an early comment , Windows 10 might require a Snapdragon XXX model , or maybe your phone will need hardware updates from the carrier .

In my oppinion , this thread is useless . We won`t find this out until Windows 10 for phones is about to be realeased .
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-13-2014 01:37 AM
    I'm pretty sure WP 8.1 devices will be updated to Windows 10.
    Since Microsoft is building the new x3x series which mounts WP 8.1, they would give them an important update, or they would be useless, and Microsoft would lose lot of money and customers.
    And since WP 8.1 is also available for x2x series, they would be upgraded to Windows 10 too.
    10-13-2014 01:50 AM
65 123