[Suggestion] Windows Store Apps Should Have Stand-Alone Installer Files Readily Available

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
As I read that Microsoft Support reps are here on the forums taking feedback on Windows 10, I thought bringing some of my suggestions here would be a good way to get more attention. Either ways, here's what I have in this case:

I can never justify paying for a Windows Store app until Microsoft finally makes their own version of APK and iPA files readily available. There's just no telling when them devs would f*ck up a good app, but thankfully, in the case of iOS and Android, you can revert back to an older version of the app if you have a backup of the iPA or APK installer. In the case of the Windows Store, you're at the mercy of them devs, so, you never actually own the app.

Until Microsoft fixes this, I will NEVER purchase any paid app from the Windows Store.

This would also come in handy in the case of data saving. Not everyone on Earth has unlimited data access. Making app installers readily available for offline use can really help in saving data.

Wall-SWE

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
You CAN do this on Windows Phone. Just head to windowsphone.com and download the *.XAP for the app you like.
You just click the link that says "Download and manually install"

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I never have considered using a Windows Phone. I'm talking about Windows 8/8.1.1 on my Surface Pro 2. How would you do this in the case of Windows 8/8.1.1? Windows 8 =/= Windows Phone 8.

Wall-SWE

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Well there probably is a way to do this on Windows 8.1 as well, and Windows 10 most likely will have this feature. My answer was a direct response, to your own comparison to iOS and Goolge play, I only gave you an example in the same category. How would you do this on Mac OS? You wouldn't as Mac OS cant even run these kind of apps.

EDIT: You can already DO THIS IN WINDOWS 10. One minute after I posted, I found this:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...s-phone-app-now-runs-desktop-more-apps-follow

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
In Mac OS X, there are ways to pack an installed application into stand-alone installers. Even if it weren't possible on that stupidly-restrictive Mac OS X, doesn't make it right.

There are dozens of things that just aren't possible with Mac OS X's restrictive, dictatorship, compatibility-breaking environment. That's why I would never have Mac OS X as my default OS.

As for your finding. So, if the WP store is shared with the Windows Desktop, you think you'll be able to manually install the app on the desktop side? I don't quite get how your finding shows you can do this in Windows 10...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As for your finding. So, if the WP store is shared with the Windows Desktop, you think you'll be able to manually install the app on the desktop side? I don't quite get how your finding shows you can do this in Windows 10...

That's exactly what he's saying, and what's not to get? If its possible to download standalone phone apps, and the phone apps work in W10, then all you would have to do is sideload them.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what he's saying, and what's not to get? If its possible to download standalone phone apps, and the phone apps work in W10, then all you would have to do is sideload them.

Surprise, Phone apps aren't always Tablet apps. Just 'cause apps were downloadable on WP8 doesn't mean their Tablet version were also downloadable. Will believe it when I see it. Not keeping my hopes up.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Surprise, Phone apps aren't always Tablet apps. Just 'cause apps were downloadable on WP8 doesn't mean their Tablet version were also downloadable. Will believe it when I see it. Not keeping my hopes up.

But with Universal apps, they'll essentially be the same thing. So no, there's no "surprise" to me. There won't be a"phone" version or a "tablet" version, there will just be an app, which you'll probably be able to download from the website like you currently can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234