My Opinion on OEM standards for Windows 10

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Full HD 1920x1080p MINIMUM: For any tablet whether it be budget tablets, or any new hybrid flip tablet/laptops, or even windows 10 mobile phones, or all in-one touch desktops it must have a minimum resolution of 1920x1080. A lot of of those budget lumia phones and asus tablets have 1024x768 resolution or lower. We are already transitioning to 4K, so let this be the minimum requirement for all windows 10 displays.

Stylus Fine Tip Pen: I am not talking about those third party rubber ended pens to use for tablets. I am talking about fine tip pen that is used for Microsoft Surface Pro series, and the pen that is used in galaxy note 4. What is the point of touch , and drawing/paint software if you cant use a pen on it? That must be a standard for all Windows 10 tablets (for the option of buying a stylus pen) and mobile phones. I might want to use the pen to sign pdf documents or other things. Also it must be 1:1 touch with 2048 levels of pressure for maximum accuracy.

Blu-Ray R/RW drives: I still have no clue why non-touch desktops towers, all-in one touch and not touch desktops still have those outdated DVD-R/RW drives? Get rid of those once and for all. It would also be nice if touch/non-touch laptops have the option of buying ultra slim INTERNAL blu-ray R/RW drives. Yes I know you can simply connect external blu-ray using USB, but this would be a nice option. I also know you don’t really need blu-ray since we have streaming, but a lot of streaming is compressed and not full quality.

Cortana: They are already putting Cortona in xbox one, windows phones and and it will be soon in windows 10.

Kinect/Hand Gesture Sensors: I am not sure if they can put the kinect technology or something similar built in the hardware in tablets/phones/desktops but it would be nice to use hand gestures when making power point presentations or just simply navigation. Maybe u can wear gloves too? Similar to that tom cruise movie (the movie where he searches for crimes before it happens).
What do you guys think? Feel free to use these ideas in the Microsoft suggestion box.

Last edited:

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Why on earth would there be a 1080p minimum resolution for phones?
480p will always be the minimum res as long as MS makes 4"-4.5"low to mid range phones.
Besides how can it in anyway benefit 4k transition?

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
That's the whole point of making this post, and that is to raise the standards for windows 10 phones. Hence, new standards! I am getting really tired of these crapola dinky budget phones with low resolutions. That was the whole point of this post. I am not saying make windows 10 phones with 4K, I am saying MS, and other phone companies should make 1080p windows 10 phones (for whatever minimum size screen 1080p screens fit in in mobile smart phones). If I go to a Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile, I am not interested in dinky budget phones, I want to check out whats new. Besides 1080p will soon be incorporated within a few years down the line of there budget phones, that way they can make there phones more power efficient.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Huh? Not all markets are like US FYI most of the Asian markets doesn't have carrier subisidies and phones are sold unlocked and a 1080p phone like the 930 would cost $600 which most people don't have....
These so called "crapola budget phones" are were the market is and for them 480-720p screens are more than good enough to sell.
If u are not interested in them then don't buy them you do have plenty of 1080p phones under ur disposal but theres a lot of guys who just need a cheap but efficient phone and that situation won't change anytime soon in the future.

And I don't understand ur logic in the final part of ur comment... How does putting 1080p screens on budget phones make them more power efficient?
If anything higher resolution can only make phones less efficient...

Some 2-3 years down the line 1080p would probably become the minimum spec as u said but it sure as hell wont be the case with W10...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you understand how the PC, tablet and phone markets work? Cheap devices make up the bulk of sales. How does it make any sense to mandate an active digitiser, Blu-ray drive and gesture sensors? Those are all niche features, they have no business being standards.

Side note: 1080p adds nothing but additional battery drain on smaller phones — I bet most people aren't even able to tell the difference. I'll take a 720p display on a ~4.5" device over 1080p any day.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This isn't the best idea. The last time there were strict specifications on devices for Windows Phone was at the launch of 7.0 and those specs were pretty close to flagship status for their time. That resulted in OEMs making all their devices essentially the same with the only differentiator being the screen size and three of them having physical keyboards. Back then though there was a nice number of devices because the OEMs believed Windows Phone would be something. Now that OEMs realized that Windows Phone basically failed (at least their expectations anyway) Microsoft imposing such specs will result in a selection of two maybe three devices; one Lumia, one HTC and maybe one Samsung. Having only three devices in the world would be a bad thing, and that's not even mentioning the price on these things. It would be nice in the U.S. where carrier subsidies or financing is available but this isn't available in all countries. In short; if Microsoft wanted to effectively finish killing Windows Phone then they should do this.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Full HD 1920x1080p MINIMUM: For any tablet whether it be budget tablets
Full HD for budget devices? That's contradictory surely? Unless there's some MAJOR advances either in battery capacity/screen power drain, that's not realistic. Sorry.

Stylus Fine Tip Pen:
Again, not going to be feasible for MS's target markets - budget territories. There's no need for handwritten signatures these days anyway - digital signing has been legally accepted for years.

Blu-Ray R/RW drives
You still use optical media? Wow.
Again, for territories where data connections are prohibitively expensive/quota'd, having a mandatory feature that's heavily data reliant might not be realistic.
Kinect/Hand Gesture Sensors
Maybe. If the technology works.

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Again, not going to be feasible for MS's target markets - budget territories. There's no need for handwritten signatures these days anyway - digital signing has been legally accepted for years.

I must dish out $700+ just for this feature? This could basically be a game changer here, as a former student I wish I had a tablet or all-in one laptop/tablet where I could write all of my notes, do all of my highlighting. As a teacher I wish I could write my notes on this tablet, show it on screen using HDMI out on a projector and do much more. I hated collecting all the paper work and putting all that crap inside binders. Spending $700+ on Surface Pro series, or Wacom Cintique is beyond ridiculous.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's the whole point of making this post, and that is to raise the standards for windows 10 phones. Hence, new standards! I am getting really tired of these crapola dinky budget phones with low resolutions. That was the whole point of this post. I am not saying make windows 10 phones with 4K, I am saying MS, and other phone companies should make 1080p windows 10 phones (for whatever minimum size screen 1080p screens fit in in mobile smart phones). If I go to a Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile, I am not interested in dinky budget phones, I want to check out whats new. Besides 1080p will soon be incorporated within a few years down the line of there budget phones, that way they can make there phones more power efficient.

You do realize if they put a 1080p screen in, they'll have to also put in a much better processor right? Otherwise, it'll lag like all hell. Then they'll need a way bigger battery so you have more than 4 hours of battery life. Then they'll... Oh look, you've just built a high end phone.

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
You still use optical media? Wow.

I know people now stream movies using Netflix, Hulu, Xbox Video, Playstation Network etc, but you need to have a strong network signal/connection/bandwidth to get a decent HD signal. Keep in mind this is a decent 720p signal. That decent 720p signal is highly compressed picture with compressed sound. I live in USA, use AT&T as my network, pay $40/month and I can barely get a decent 720p signal. Good look on streaming movies in 4K. I am a huge fan of anime, and I love the animation/artwork in anime movies, and I want to enjoy those movies in full glory 1080p on my laptop or laptop/tablet hybrid. I also would love to project/show those movies to friends and family via HDMI out with full 1080p signal which is why its better to either download it or have a physical hardcopy of it (blu-ray disks). That's why they should have Blu-Ray disk drives (internal) as a standard. If you don't need optical media drives why do they STILL include those outdated DVD-R/RW drives in tower desktops? Having the OPTION to buy a laptop/tablet hybrid with internal blu-ray disk drive saves me the constant hassle of plugging in an external bluray disk drive, and spending additional money on that drive.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You can barely stream 720p and you want 1080p screens? You do realize that the 720p video won't magically look better just because its a 1080p screen right? To get a better picture quality, you would actually see more buffering.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Full HD 1920x1080p MINIMUM: For any tablet whether it be budget tablets, or any new hybrid flip tablet/laptops, or even windows 10 mobile phones, or all in-one touch desktops it must have a minimum resolution of 1920x1080. A lot of of those budget lumia phones and asus tablets have 1024x768 resolution or lower. We are already transitioning to 4K, so let this be the minimum requirement for all windows 10 displays.
Congratulations, you just killed all smartphones and tablets under ?299 (at least!)! And with it, you halved WP's market share... For the record, 720p, while not *perfect*, looks quite good on my 830 and I didn't complain about the 480p on my 620 (which still looked ok btw) since you can't expect flagship specs on a phone less than half the price of one...
Stylus Fine Tip Pen: I am not talking about those third party rubber ended pens to use for tablets. I am talking about fine tip pen that is used for Microsoft Surface Pro series, and the pen that is used in galaxy note 4. What is the point of touch , and drawing/paint software if you cant use a pen on it? That must be a standard for all Windows 10 tablets (for the option of buying a stylus pen) and mobile phones. I might want to use the pen to sign pdf documents or other things. Also it must be 1:1 touch with 2048 levels of pressure for maximum accuracy.
Ok, let's raise the minimum price for tablets by another ?50-100, those pens and the required digitizers don't come for free after all...
Blu-Ray R/RW drives: I still have no clue why non-touch desktops towers, all-in one touch and not touch desktops still have those outdated DVD-R/RW drives? Get rid of those once and for all. It would also be nice if touch/non-touch laptops have the option of buying ultra slim INTERNAL blu-ray R/RW drives. Yes I know you can simply connect external blu-ray using USB, but this would be a nice option. I also know you don?t really need blu-ray since we have streaming, but a lot of streaming is compressed and not full quality.
I'll give you a hint, DVD drives are ?20 and up, Blu-Ray drives are ?80 and up
Cortana: They are already putting Cortona in xbox one, windows phones and and it will be soon in windows 10.
Cortana has nothing to do with hardware or OEMs... Yes, yes, hey cortana excepted, big deal, she doesn't even speak my language yet.
Kinect/Hand Gesture Sensors: I am not sure if they can put the kinect technology or something similar built in the hardware in tablets/phones/desktops but it would be nice to use hand gestures when making power point presentations or just simply navigation. Maybe u can wear gloves too? Similar to that tom cruise movie (the movie where he searches for crimes before it happens).
What do you guys think? Feel free to use these ideas in the Microsoft suggestion box.
Maybe... but IIRC that's pretty much what McLaren was supposed to do and they canceled it, so clearly Microsoft thinks it isn't good enough yet on phones.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually all I want is 4.5 inch 720p phone with Snapdragon 801, that way my phone will be faster than 1520 and 930 and will have better battery life. With these specs OP says, I won't ever get that phone.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Lol more than that. S/he's literally killed off every WP besides the 930, 1520, and One M8.
Well, I was being a bit generous and more interested in making a point than being 100% accurate, currently 1080p for smartphones is also much more of a €399 thing than €299 for instance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes