Big update - Cortana FINALLY reads time and ALL responses!

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why WindowsCentral hasn't posted about this yet (even though I sent a few tips, and even rival WMPU posted about it)... but Cortana received a significant update a few days ago where she finally reads the time and ALL instant answers.

​Ask her "what time is it?" and she'll say the time.
​Ask her "who is <name>?" and she'll read the response.
​Ask her a math question (e.g. "What is 2+2?") and she'll read the response.

​This is for English (US) only for now, but it's great that she finally does this! :)

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I love how I don't have to look at my phone now! I can activate her using the call button on my headphones, ask her a question, and she reads the response without having to pull out my phone. :)

Dueydoodah

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I noticed these, too. I use Cortana daily. In fact, when I want to do something on my phone, I try using Cortana first, just in case she can understand what I want to do. I think Microsoft likes when we do just this. It helps them build more intelligence into the tool (or should I say her?)

I'm getting close to retirement (ya, I'm an old guy that doesn't know how to use computers [I hate that typification]) and am hoping that by that day, I will be able to say "Hey Cortana, make me breakfast!", and she'll ask "Would you like Belgian waffles today or a typical American breakfast?" But we all know the answer to that question, though.

Lumiaphone525

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, i got this also. Very impressed on that BIG UPDATE. But very disappointed as she still cannot give me witty answers!!!! She still cannot tell a joke or sing me a song :angry:

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, i got this also. Very impressed on that BIG UPDATE. But very disappointed as she still cannot give me witty answers!!!! She still cannot tell a joke or sing me a song :angry:
What do you mean? She tells me jokes and witty answers still on the English (US) version. Probably hasn't rolled out to UK/Canada/etc. yet.

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I noticed these, too. I use Cortana daily. In fact, when I want to do something on my phone, I try using Cortana first, just in case she can understand what I want to do. I think Microsoft likes when we do just this. It helps them build more intelligence into the tool (or should I say her?)

I'm getting close to retirement (ya, I'm an old guy that doesn't know how to use computers [I hate that typification]) and am hoping that by that day, I will be able to say "Hey Cortana, make me breakfast!", and she'll ask "Would you like Belgian waffles today or a typical American breakfast?" But we all know the answer to that question, though.

She may help you to ask a restaurant for delivery tho :3

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Good to know she can do these now. But I do wonder why she can't initiate a call when my phone is not connected to the internet. When I have cellular data (and Wi-Fi) turned off and ask her to call someone, she gives me that witty response "the internet and I aren't talking right now" or "I can't connect right now, try again in a little bit." But turning on data connection and trying again, she responds. Why?

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Good to know she can do these now. But I do wonder why she can't initiate a call when my phone is not connected to the internet. When I have cellular data (and Wi-Fi) turned off and ask her to call someone, she gives me that witty response "the internet and I aren't talking right now" or "I can't connect right now, try again in a little bit." But turning on data connection and trying again, she responds. Why?

Cortana used to need internet for every commands given to her, I noticed however a week ago, when I didn't have neither Wi-Fi or cellular signal of any kind, that she can play music without it...

I guess calling is not yet available offline... I hope they implement more offline commands soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon