The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-10-2015 08:27 AM
45 12
tools
    imagine having Windows 10 on a smart TV with universal apps and Cortana
    with a start screen-like UI and being able to sync with Xbox One wirelessly
    02-26-2015 01:17 AM
    This would be great. At the very least I'd like to see Windows Media Center completely remade.
    Laura Knotek and DavidinCT like this.
    02-26-2015 01:44 AM
    This would be great. At the very least I'd like to see Windows Media Center completely remade.
    I hope I get a free upgrade to Windows 10 Media Centre. I paid $99 for the 8.1 Pro Pack, and I don't think it would be fair to charge again for it.
    02-26-2015 02:38 AM
    All they would have to do is modify the xbox version of windows 10 to exclude the xbox game side.
    02-26-2015 02:42 AM
    I like that idea a lot.
    ​Now stick a new Kinect in there and I'd buy one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2015 02:54 AM
    MSFT is too retarded to see this opportunity to hop into the streaming set top and stick business. Instead they insist on letting a $349 gaming device cater to this market --- one that's dominated by $30-99 devices. A low powered $49 "XBOX Stick" could easily see significant success even this late into the market.
    02-26-2015 05:43 AM
    I don't think MS needs that.. Their "$349" device already does that in spades.. What I believe they should do, is get their wares on all those "$30-$99" devices.. Get Xbox Video on there..xbox music etc.. And allow OneDrive access via the apps themselves.. They don't need to chase every device category with hardware... Just piggy-back on the established players..
    Dancing on the rings of Saturn. L1320
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2015 04:33 PM
    I don't care whether they spend any time on a fancied up WMC, just get the bloody thing to play on Win 10! And yes I do have strong feelings about it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2015 05:09 PM
    Don't MS have something, though a bit OTT called Surface Hub?
    Would MS do a version for normal TV's? Probably not, as they want you to use an XBOX as your home hub.

G.
    02-26-2015 06:07 PM
    Don't MS have something, though a bit OTT called Surface Hub?
    Would MS do a version for normal TV's? Probably not, as they want you to use an XBOX as your home hub.

G.
    But for someone who doesn't care about Xbox games, an Apple TV is only $99. I think if Microsoft did something similar to Apple TV (sans gaming), it would be attractive to people who don't care about Xbox games.

For example, I'd consider anything but a game console, since console games don't interest me. The price of Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast would appeal to someone like me. If Microsoft had something in that type of price range ($100 or less), a lot of people who don't care about games would consider it.
    realwarder and naeem151287 like this.
    02-26-2015 09:26 PM
    Just hook your raspberry pi 2 with windows 10 to your tv, it will get much more functionality than the 40$ sticks right ?
    02-26-2015 09:33 PM
    Just hook your raspberry pi 2 with windows 10 to your tv, it will get much more functionality than the 40$ sticks right ?
    I think a better choice could be a cheap Windows tablet like those under $100 with HDMI out, much more functionality than the Pi and perfect for playing or streaming movies.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2015 09:53 PM
    But for someone who doesn't care about Xbox games, an Apple TV is only $99. I think if Microsoft did something similar to Apple TV (sans gaming), it would be attractive to people who don't care about Xbox games.

For example, I'd consider anything but a game console, since console games don't interest me. The price of Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast would appeal to someone like me. If Microsoft had something in that type of price range ($100 or less), a lot of people who don't care about games would consider it.
    Agreed. I personally use Roku and FireTV sticks. They replaced my dedicated Windows 7 based HTPC. I use them for Plex, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Would be nice to have a MSFT option with the current set of XBOX apps.
    Last edited by TheCudder; 02-27-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    02-26-2015 09:56 PM
    I think a better choice could be a cheap Windows tablet like those under $100 with HDMI out, much more functionality than the Pi and perfect for playing or streaming movies.
    02-27-2015 12:25 AM
    I would love to own a Windows TV my self to be able to get my media (pics, Music, videos) on it from one drive :v
    02-27-2015 12:39 AM
    You can be sure they're working on something that fits between the Xbox and the Miracast wireless display adapter.
    Laura Knotek and Giffdev like this.
    02-27-2015 01:23 AM
    The best option is to be built into new TV's and devices. Not sure how easily this can be done. But perhaps since they are working more close with Samsung, it could be possible that MS apps are not just going into smartphones but possibly TV's too. It would be cool.
    02-27-2015 02:07 AM

I agree it would be nice, however I don't believe MS would see the commercial benefit to creating this. It would eat into their XBOX business, and they could argue you could use as suggested above, Miracast from a Windows device.

I admit at home I use a Apple TV, mainly for Netflix, but also for streaming from my iPad (can't afford/justify a Surface) Flixster...

G.
    02-27-2015 05:55 AM
    I agree it would be nice, however I don't believe MS would see the commercial benefit to creating this. It would eat into their XBOX business, and they could argue you could use as suggested above, Miracast from a Windows device.

I admit at home I use a Apple TV, mainly for Netflix, but also for streaming from my iPad (can't afford/justify a Surface) Flixster...

G.
    But the thing is, no one is going to buy an XBOX One specifically for the purpose of watching movies and streaming TV services. They could also implement video game streaming into an "XBOX Stick", same way as they plan to do for Windows 10 PC's and tablets. An XBOX Stick would not feature any gaming with out an XBOX One as a "host". It would specifically cater to those who want to stream and access music, movies & TV shows. So it's not really competing with XBOX, it even gives owners of an XBOX One a reason to buy an XBOX Streaming Stick device.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2015 07:55 AM
    I've been thinking about getting one of those Intel-based sticks, load Windows 10, install Kodi, and retire my 2nd gen AppleTV. Windows will run all the stuff it will but without having to jailbreak it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2015 10:12 AM
    But the thing is, no one is going to buy an XBOX One specifically for the purpose of watching movies and streaming TV services. They could also implement video game streaming into an "XBOX Stick", same way as they plan to do for Windows 10 PC's and tablets. An XBOX Stick would not feature any gaming with out an XBOX One as a "host". It would specifically cater to those who want to stream and access music, movies & TV shows. So it's not really competing with XBOX, it even gives owners of an XBOX One a reason to buy an XBOX Streaming Stick device.
    For the last several years statistics have shown the Xbox 360/One are actually used more often for movies/streaming than gaming, by a decent margin. Yes many of those capabilities are available in other cheaper forms, but people don't like having to toggle inputs all the time. They want one seamless interface that does all of their media needs, including gaming. The 360 had everything including media center, now the Xbone has most of it but you can still get media center via pass-through from another device (like a 360 as I'm doing).

The TV issue isn't so much Microsoft, it's the fact that they fought a war and lost to the cable companies. The cable companies don't want to play ball, they want the revenue from forced rental of cable boxes/DVR for every TV in the house, instead of a streamlined centralized system where they can only charge you for the services, not the hardware.
    02-27-2015 12:34 PM
    I think the mutli-OS architecture of the Xbox One lends itself to the idea that a cheap "Xbox TV" coming at some point. If they strip out the Xbox OS partition that controls direct hardware access for full games, they're essentially left with a TV-centric version of Windows. A set top box or hdmi stick that can run not only all the One's media apps but also games that don't require the full power of the console would have an instant selling point over apple/roku/fire/android tv devices. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in line with the 10 launch because then it'll also have the advantage of universal apps.
    02-27-2015 03:03 PM
    If you can buy a HP Stream 7 tablet for $79 (sometimes), and that has a touchscreen, they should easily be able to build something for less without a screen.

HP do have these though.

But if they added an IrDA sensor and cut the unit back more (less expansion etc.) then lower prices should be possible.

I guess we also have this: Intel Compute Stick

- $149

But the goal has to be $99.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2015 03:53 PM
    But the goal has to be $99.
    I'd say less than that. I personally don't know any one with the full top set streaming media solutions, usually the advantage of them are games and I think the XBOX One takes care of that. For strictly media consumption, it would need to be $50 or less to gain any attention.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2015 04:54 PM
    problem solved :)
    Intel Compute Stick

there are already some chinese variants out in the $100-140 range.
    Amazon.com: meegopad

The intel version is supposed to retail under $100.... which seems like a better deal than things like the Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
    Last edited by ashram; 02-27-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    02-27-2015 06:07 PM
45 12