Some iOS/Android Developers Not Excited About Porting Their Apps To Windows

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
She said there's no way because of all of the analytics involved, and that it would be too much work.

I don't understand what this means. What are all of the "analytics" that are involved? And what, exactly, would be "too much work" for one of the largest companies in the world to take on? If Microsoft has done what they claim to have done, as far as porting iOS or Android apps, it sounds like it would be minimal effort, at most, for them to spin that over into a universal Windows 10 app. Furthermore, Disney already makes a ton of apps for Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 8.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Certain app developers will say this no matter what because, no matter how easy MS makes it for them, they're still a smaller team with limited resources and they simply may not want a third platform to maintain in their mix.

While the feedback from them shouldn't be ignored it should also be taken with with some skepticism. What you're seeing is not a wholly accurate representation of the developer market. Wait and see what larger, more well known developers do with their products first. They'll be looking for opportunities to expand their product reach in most cases, so if they feel WP10 is worth their time then other developers will follow suit with time.

But really, the actual concern here shouldn't be the comments of a few developers, big or small... It should be Microsoft's ability to market the new Windows Phones to begin with. No one but MS is responsible for the growth of their phone's maketshare. It's not the apps that will sell the phone, it's the branding and the word of mouth. Once MS has that under control and the user base grows developers will come no matter what their previous opinions may have been.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what this means. What are all of the "analytics" that are involved? And what, exactly, would be "too much work" for one of the largest companies in the world to take on? If Microsoft has done what they claim to have done, as far as porting iOS or Android apps, it sounds like it would be minimal effort, at most, for them to spin that over into a universal Windows 10 app. Furthermore, Disney already makes a ton of apps for Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 8.

I don't know what type of analytics they weave into their phone apps so I couldn't tell you. Disney has disparate departments so while you do see games produced for Windows; you don't see other apps like Park and Resorts. If you go to Disneyland or Disney World, you will notice that most people carry around iPhones then a smaller set of customers carry Android. They just develop what their customers use. FYI, the Disney CEO sits on Apple's board of directors as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what type of analytics they weave into their phone apps so I couldn't tell you. Disney has disparate departments so while you do see games produced for Windows; you don't see other apps like Park and Resorts. If you go to Disneyland or Disney World, you will notice that most people carry around iPhones then a smaller set of customers carry Android. They just develop what their customers use. FYI, the Disney CEO sits on Apple's board of directors as well.
Oral B toothbrushes have a Disney app for kids to let them know how long to brush their teeth. It's iOS and Android only at this time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I need to give a big 2 thumbs down to the people in threads like this who are so quick to just call the devs who aren't interested "lazy". It's been made quite clear by most of the dev responses I've read so far that it's a simple (and much more believable and reasonable than "lazy") matter of time and money vs reward. They're running a business and time+money vs reward is how you think when you run a business. Responding to their reasons with "you're lazy" is a petulant accusation.

EBUK posted this link on the first page of this thread and it explains the situation well enough to deserve a bump
How developers really feel about Microsoft welcoming iOS and Android

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Here's a classic example of what many of us are saying -

I'm going to Disney World this week. Neither the My Disney Experience of Universal Studios official apps are available on WP. There's 3rd party alternatives but they're terrible and lack most booking functions available on the official apps. Now what do you think the odds are that management at companies like WDW will say "hey did you guys look at this new easier porting feature? Let's do it!" before WP gains a significant number of users and also commit to maintaining it to keep it current afterwards?

That's the conundrum. WP needs users to get these guys on board but it needs these guys on board to get users. Easy porting isn't the solution. There's only one way to make this happen and it's the only way that's stood the test of time throughout history: money talks. MS is going to be forced to offer flagship level devices at entry level prices to coerce more people in non-developing nations away from Apple and Android. That means $0 on contract too because most people are apparently quite willing to swallow $200-$300 on a 2 year contract. It's also going to mean an end finally to carrier exclusives and a massive, and I mean massive marketing campaign to tell everyone in the US and EU they can get a flagship WP device for $0 on contract. How do you think Hyundai got where it is against the lockdown on Asian imports Honda and Toyota had? Cost. Hyundai offered vehicles comparable to a Honda or Toyota for much less and people jumped all over them (disclaimer: I personally would buy a Honda over a Hyundai any day of the week but there's millions who won't care)

Apple and Android are too deeply entrenched now to upset this duopoly with anything short of drastic measures. And it's not like either company is simply standing still while challenges are being made by others. As of last week I've updated two android devices to the latest patches and can personally attest to you that this is the fastest, most polished and nicely featured version of Android I've ever seen them produce and they aren't giving any indication of slowing down. People want to save money, this is where MS needs to put its focus. They need to offer at least equally attractive devices at much lower prices. Speaking as one of those people who will swallow $200+ on a 2 year contract, I still wouldn't be lured away because of the lack of apps, but I'm sure there are millions who would

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Here's a classic example of what many of us are saying -

I'm going to Disney World this week. Neither the My Disney Experience of Universal Studios official apps are available on WP. There's 3rd party alternatives but they're terrible and lack most booking functions available on the official apps. Now what do you think the odds are that management at companies like WDW will say "hey did you guys look at this new easier porting feature? Let's do it!" before WP gains a significant number of users and also commit to maintaining it to keep it current afterwards?

That's the conundrum. WP needs users to get these guys on board but it needs these guys on board to get users. Easy porting isn't the solution. There's only one way to make this happen and it's the only way that's stood the test of time throughout history: money talks. MS is going to be forced to offer flagship level devices at entry level prices to coerce more people in non-developing nations away from Apple and Android. That means $0 on contract too because most people are apparently quite willing to swallow $200-$300 on a 2 year contract. It's also going to mean an end finally to carrier exclusives and a massive, and I mean massive marketing campaign to tell everyone in the US and EU they can get a flagship WP device for $0 on contract. How do you think Hyundai got where it is against the lockdown on Asian imports Honda and Toyota had? Cost. Hyundai offered vehicles comparable to a Honda or Toyota for much less and people jumped all over them (disclaimer: I personally would buy a Honda over a Hyundai any day of the week but there's millions who won't care)

Apple and Android are too deeply entrenched now to upset this duopoly with anything short of drastic measures. And it's not like either company is simply standing still while challenges are being made by others. As of last week I've updated two android devices to the latest patches and can personally attest to you that this is the fastest, most polished and nicely featured version of Android I've ever seen them produce and they aren't giving any indication of slowing down. People want to save money, this is where MS needs to put its focus. They need to offer at least equally attractive devices at much lower prices. Speaking as one of those people who will swallow $200+ on a 2 year contract, I still wouldn't be lured away because of the lack of apps, but I'm sure there are millions who would

Disney is a very bad example, because they were actually on Microsoft's List of software partners for Windows 10 Apps.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
They already tried this with Verizon and AT&T and failed. While I might agree the flagship is a potential "way in" in the US, it is not so elsewhere. Mainly due to the fact the US is the only country that I know of that does the "phones on contract" subsidy. Elsewhere in the world a high value phone period will sell just fine. In the EU especially WP is growing because the the carriers are offering thier own store and some are not even offering the play store. This makes windows phones a superior experience. In India (again) android phones are cheaper but often offer apps through a carrier store with little to no Google services. WP can make gains here also by giving a superior value. When it comes to China the young rich are actually buying apple products but the majority are android phones using carrier and manufacturer app stores. These phones usually are low cost using the MTK processors that are not supported by WP. Gains here will only happen when WP supports MTK and other chip sets. Bringing MTK into the fold would be huge for China but their hands are contractually tied to Qualcomm. Their main way in is to go around the contract and offer ROMs for devices with MTK chips, which they are doing. Nadella was handed a stinker here but we will see how Microsoft manages.

Again keep in mind despite those andoid market share numbers Google services are not offered on a majority of those devices outside the US. This means Google is making nothing off these phones and getting next to no data.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
It's still market share at the end of the day.

You have to give MS kudos for doing what they can on the programmer end of things to make app transitioning easier. It does help. The real problem is that the general public is not excited to own a Windows Phone, period. They don't want one. Worse, word of mouth has already made the rounds that the devices have no apps, so now the platform is plagued by a perception that could easily change if only more people used it.

MS is just being MS. Marketing has never been in their blood. They've always depended on partners to sell their products for them. Now that they're trying to wrestle some control away from those partners they need to get people engaged and excited to buy a windows phone on their own.

The market share problem is purely Microsoft's, not their partners, and it's unfortunately both their largest problem and the one their least familiar with tackling. I just wish they'd spend more time and money on advertising and promotions... I was in new york a couple years ago and they were advertising Surface all over freaking Times Square... Where the heck is that same marketing love for Windows Phone!? :(

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The market share problem is purely Microsoft's, not their partners, and it's unfortunately both their largest problem and the one their least familiar with tackling. I just wish they'd spend more time and money on advertising and promotions... I was in new york a couple years ago and they were advertising Surface all over freaking Times Square... Where the heck is that same marketing love for Windows Phone!? :(
Microsoft needs to do more Windows Phone ads with Ben the PC guy. Those were great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon