Some iOS/Android Developers Not Excited About Porting Their Apps To Windows

mflotron

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Some devs were interviewed about this, and they say that its not worth it, mainly because:

• it is already easy to port, the problem is the manteinance and support
  • the low market share don't woth the effort

Sorry, not allowed yet to post links because i'm new

LINK tip: mashable com TITLE How developers really feel about Microsoft welcoming iOS and Android

Last edited:

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Some devs were interviewed about this, and they say that its not worth it, mainly because:

Did any of these developers has actually put their hands on those tools? No. When they test it, they can have an impression about it and choose to use it or not.
BTW, where did you found those "interviews" with these "developers"?

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Did any of these developers has actually put their hands on those tools? No. When they test it, they can have an impression about it and choose to use it or not.
BTW, where did you found those "interviews" with these "developers"?

He is probably just trying to start a flame war or something. Pathetic beyond measure

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Links to these interviews please. As for whether devs will take up MS' offer of making apps, its still too early, but am sure once windows 10 is officially released, we'll be seeing more apps.
And for everyone who keeps saying low market share, it may be just 3% but even that 3% comprises over 50m phones & now with universal apps spanning PCs where Windows holds majority, the market share argument stands null & void.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The big question is with these new features in Visual Studio is.. Can one take an Android app to Windows and to iOS? or iOS to Windows and Android? or Windows to Android and iOS? Or all the above?

The reason is simply money. Think about it, if it's easy to port to all platforms think of all the possible additional revenue generated from one app on all three platforms, and if it's quick and easy to do the porting, the time (i.e. money) saved. Granted, the addition of Windows at this time, won't be huge, but there is an old saying "Count your pennies, and your dollars will add up." each additional purchase on whatever platform adds up nicely.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't doubt you're honesty OP, but for claims like this, providing links to the developer interviews is mandatory. Otherwise we'll soon be starting the countdown to this thread's closure.

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't doubt you're honesty OP, but for claims like this providing your sources is mandatory. Otherwise we'll soon be starting the countdown to this thread's closure.

The new Visual Studio, you could make an app and deliver to all three from it if you should wish todo so.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Links, or at least sources please. The mode are going to shut this down otherwise.

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, there are also a lot of companies that already have Windows Phone apps but decided to not develop them further because of lack of marketshare. These companies don't need to invest to port the app from Android/iOS. They just need to maintain them and apparently that's already not worth it for them.

Plus there are too many low budget phones IMHO. People with low budget phones buy way less apps than people with flagship phones.

DeHoDev once published some interesting statistics in a German forum regarding his famous app "Bahn Connector": While in Germany back then the Lumia 520 was the most sold phone, it was only on 15th spot when it came to app purchases. On the first spots there were the Lumia 920, 925, 825 and Samsung Ativ S.

In more exact numbers: The Lumia 520 had around 30% marketshare back then, but was only responsible for 1,5% of the app purchases.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
While I call Skepticism on the OP, people do seem to forget that they do quote low marketshare being the reason they don't do apps for WIndows.

So if the marketshare is STILL low...even if you are being paid to make it, even they do make it, it is not a guarantee they'd support it and then eventually remove it and we'd be in square one.

This whole idea would've been better if developer's were complaining mostly about the effort it takes to make Windows app. The low marketshare is precisely why.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Almost every twitter response cited in that article specifies Windows Phone and ignores the Windows 10 overall footprint. One developer stated that there is still not a big enough user base. A billion potential customers with W10 is not big enough?

With that said, this mashable article can be easily subjective. Anyone can scour twitter and cherry pick positive or negative comments about any topic.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Almost every twitter response cited in that article specifies Windows Phone and ignores the Windows 10 overall footprint. One developer stated that there is still not a big enough user base. A billion potential customers with W10 is not big enough?

With that said, this mashable article can be easily subjective. Anyone can scour twitter and cherry pick positive or negative comments about any topic.
I think it depends on the app. Many apps would not have a purpose on desktops and tablets, but would only serve a purpose on smartphones. Other apps could be useful on all form factors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
tom (developer) has a mature app (3rd revision/generation/whatever) and about 750,000 sales. maybe a million. whatever.

he sees the news about microsoft wanting his app on their desktops/mobiles, and wonders how many more sales he can achieve by doing so.

1 billion installed base x 10% = a nice big number. how many of those are actually using a mobile device though ? he can't find solid numbers of the mobile install base, and every article online shows sales are around 4% in the US. hmm, tom just decided to not start a brand new project of development, testing, publishing, and support for microsoft's new idea, until he sees some other people get on board.

the catch22 of 'not enough userbase' is reaffirmed.

please, paint a different scenario. i really want to see how developing a mobile app for that billion or so desktops translates into sales. i just can't imagine a mobile app being used on a desktop.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Friggin Android apps require more updates and maintenance. Android apps are updated so often its annoying, and I believe it has to do with updating so things work on new devices. The install base when you add in desktops and laptops will be huge. How could it not be worth the effort?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Friggin Android apps require more updates and maintenance. Android apps are updated so often its annoying, and I believe it has to do with updating so things work on new devices. The install base when you add in desktops and laptops will be huge. How could it not be worth the effort?
Some apps wouldn't be of any use on desktop Windows. Why would a store bother making a desktop app for scanning its loyalty card at the cash register to get reward points? If a desktop user simply wanted to check his or her points, he or she would use a browser to visit the website.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

mflotron

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Links to these interviews please. As for whether devs will take up MS' offer of making apps, its still too early, but am sure once windows 10 is officially released, we'll be seeing more apps.
And for everyone who keeps saying low market share, it may be just 3% but even that 3% comprises over 50m phones & now with universal apps spanning PCs where Windows holds majority, the market share argument stands null & void.

I couldn't post the link because i need 6 more post to be allowed

tips: mashable com TITLE How developers really feel about Microsoft welcoming iOS and Android

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
the devs at my job were like "that's bs, and who would want to develop on anything windows"

let's see who they call the next time their macs break, as my reply would be "who would want to touch an apple product on purpose" as i work on my surface pro 2!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo