Are you using Edge?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What has the experience been for you hitting your most common websites? How is the experience on Windows Central forums? For me, its nice mostly but being a talker, using it in the forums is probably the worse of it. I have not tried Facebook but I'm not yet ready to commit to it as a browser. Yes I know its in preview but so is the OS. However, I can use the TP all day everyday at this point and it never miss a beat...almost. I still cannot play Steam game Cities: Skylines in it but beyond that, its pretty solid. Edge, not so much.

But what's your experience?

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I use edge as my main browser and, as a consumer I have no issue with it at home, as an IT user it has issues with the self signed management ssl certificates that a couple of my servers use. (Firewall, sepm, etc.) I find myself using internet explorer for these.

Ps. I had some issues with a few games in the past and downloading the July 2010 directx pack fixed the issues. May want to try that I you have not done so already.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I use edge as my main browser and, as a consumer I have no issue with it at home, as an IT user it has issues with the self signed management ssl certificates that a couple of my servers use. (Firewall, sepm, etc.) I find myself using internet explorer for these.

Ps. I had some issues with a few games in the past and downloading the July 2010 directx pack fixed the issues. May want to try that I you have not done so already.

That's an idea. Do you use Plex? I tried to keep Edge as the default browser and launch Plex and it was stuck at home. 127.0.0.1.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
What has the experience been for you hitting your most common websites? How is the experience on Windows Central forums?

For me, it runs pretty well on my Dell Venue 8 Pro for most sites. One thing that seems to be slow is tapping & pressing to get the "open in new tab" option. Specifically on the Windows Central forums, it seems really, really slow.

I haven't used Edge on my desktop at work (still running 8.1) but on my 8 year old Inspiron 1720, it runs pretty well. I do think in my limited experience it runs better in desktop mode than tablet mode.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
A couple rough moments on the WC forums where text suddenly stops showing up when I'm typing. Opening a new tab and switching between them is a little slow as well.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
For me, it runs pretty well on my Dell Venue 8 Pro for most sites. One thing that seems to be slow is tapping & pressing to get the "open in new tab" option. Specifically on the Windows Central forums, it seems really, really slow.

I haven't used Edge on my desktop at work (still running 8.1) but on my 8 year old Inspiron 1720, it runs pretty well. I do think in my limited experience it runs better in desktop mode than tablet mode.

Sidebar: How did you install Windows 10 on your Dell Venue 8 Pro? I'm in the mood.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Edge works about 95% of the time for me. Various times during using it it freezes causing me to close it. I normally open IE after that.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Sidebar: How did you install Windows 10 on your Dell Venue 8 Pro? I'm in the mood.

I did an in place upgrade by copying the setup files to the tablet itself. I figured on an upgrade I wouldn't need a keyboard or mouse like I would from scratch since it seems like (from what I read) the touchscreen drivers don't work. In place it worked fine. You can read more of my details here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...uild-10074-wi-fi-venue-8-pro.html#post3110805

Battery dies quickly when I'm not using it so I've gotten in the habit of powering it off when I'm not using it. For my usage (reading RSS feeds, FB, twitter), it's not bad. Not perfect, but not bad.

Back to the main thread: I couldn't get my reply to your post to work in Edge and had to use Chrome. :unhappy:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I did an in place upgrade by copying the setup files to the tablet itself. I figured on an upgrade I wouldn't need a keyboard or mouse like I would from scratch since it seems like (from what I read) the touchscreen drivers don't work. In place it worked fine. You can read more of my details here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...uild-10074-wi-fi-venue-8-pro.html#post3110805

Battery dies quickly when I'm not using it so I've gotten in the habit of powering it off when I'm not using it. For my usage (reading RSS feeds, FB, twitter), it's not bad. Not perfect, but not bad.

Back to the main thread: I couldn't get my reply to your post to work in Edge and had to use Chrome. :unhappy:
Thanks for the info on the Dell. I think I could risk it.
On the post, I have to say it is the same experience I'm having with Edge. It better get better soon. MS has already begun withdrawing Edge from certain builds of Windows X.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
From what I have read ie won't be installed by default but you will still be able to go in to add/remove windows features and install it.

Ethan Alvaree

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I want to use Edge, but at the moment it's painful without extensions like Adblock. Not to mention it's not yet compatible with Microsoft's own services like Skype for Web.

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
No, for 2 reasons.

1) No adblock (workarounds don't stick)
2) Everything pauses when it's minimized. (sound, video, downloads, etc)

I know it's a universal app and not finished but it feels like a mobile version (with flash) running on the desktop.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I use it everyday, it works perfectly for me, ads aren't ******* around as they did in IE.
I really love Cortana integration, I'm looking for a college and she helps me alot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon