Windows 10 app device install limit

Brent-WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard from Microsoft regarding the device limit that they will use for app installs on Windows 10? I believe when Windows 8 first came out you could install an app that you get from the app store on a max number of 5 devices. Then when Windows 8.1 came out Microsoft increased that limit to a max of 81 devices that you could install the app on. However, it looks like they may have possibly decreased that limit drastically to 10 devices. I noticed that it states "Installation: Install this app on up to ten Windows 10 devices" listed in the "Addition information" section of the Windows 10 Mobile app store for the app. Has Microsoft officially stated yet as to the number of devices you can install apps to with a particular MSA? I do not like this decrease from 81 devices down to just 10.

Last edited:

Brent-WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well since I work in IT I have 10 personal devices now, counting my two Windows phones (one for daily use and one to test on), a couple of different tablets, laptops, desktops and my Xbox and it is possible that I could go over 10 in the future.

Also the main reason I don't like it is that I work for a school system and we have generic Windows domain login accounts we use for the schools libraries and computer labs. With Windows 8.1 we could use one MSA to install apps on up to 4 computer labs with 20 computers in each lab. With Windows 10 we are going to have to maintain 8 MSA's to do the same as compared to only one with Windows 8.1.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The school use looks like a misuse of licenses anyway. That would be 80 end users. Just as with Office. You can't buy an app once and install on 80 devices.

There were reports of a Volume Purchasing Program and Curated stores in W10 but that doesn't appear to have come to fruition yet. But that sounds like the license model schools should be using.

I'm sure over the next 6 months all this will come to light.

In the meantime I guess life goes on with a bit more pain for you.

Brent-WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
We don't install any apps that you have to pay for so don't just assume that it’s a misuse of license. If the developer did not want the user to be able to install the app on 81 devices in Windows 8.1 I believe they had a way to limit the number too smaller amount also. If the app is free what is the difference on installing it on 10 devices as opposed to 81? Also if a developer releases a free program that is a regular Win32 program there is no limit on the number of devices that it can be installed on so we can install it on all of our over 1500 computers with no issues. We only install the free apps and pertain to education use. The one think about the app store model is that it makes it hard to maintain free apps on organizations computers. I had heard about the option to have custom stores for company’s and originations and was hoping that was going to solve the issue with maintaining apps on the computers but I haven't seen any real info on that besides what Microsoft said at their events such as Build.

Brent-WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To add to it I agree that it might not be right for the paid apps but Microsoft really needs an easier/better way to manage/install apps that are free. I'm one that sticks to licensing and was once called the software Nazi at work because of making sure that software did not get installed on a school computer without a license for it. The option to be able to install an app per computer installed of user would be useful also. That way if there is a free app that can be used by multiple users of the same computer like in our classrooms than it can be installed once and available to all users. Instead of users having to install the app when they need it on the system which then causes the same app to get installed multiple times.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
To add to it I agree that it might not be right for the paid apps but Microsoft really needs an easier/better way to manage/install apps that are free. I'm one that sticks to licensing and was once called the software Nazi at work because of making sure that software did not get installed on a school computer without a license for it. The option to be able to install an app per computer installed of user would be useful also. That way if there is a free app that can be used by multiple users of the same computer like in our classrooms than it can be installed once and available to all users. Instead of users having to install the app when they need it on the system which then causes the same app to get installed multiple times.

I'm totally with you and feel your pain. It should definitely be easier to install and manage sets of apps for use at school, free, home grown or paid.

Looking at this post, it sounds like your school will be able to setup a Web Store:

Windows 10: A Store That?s Ready for Business | Windows For Your Business

"we see a lot of smaller organizations that do not have the infrastructure to create their own company portal. With Windows 10, they will be able to create their own private section within the Windows Store for their apps – apps that have been acquired for members of the organization through the Store portal, or their own uploaded custom line of business apps. Within this private section of the Store, an end user can easily browse a customized Windows Store and install only the apps they want, from the selection chosen for them by their corporation."

Perhaps this will come along soon and help with management.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb