Do you have expiration date on build 10240?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
In the past, I first upgraded from W8.1 to W10 but it was too buggy so I wiped the system and reinstalled W8.1. After a couple of build, I wiped the system again and clean-installed W10 from ISO. Because of this, I expect my RTM build has an expiration date. To my surprise, my Windows have no expiration date.

rwWRSNT.png

I wonder if this is a display bug or did my first upgrade from W8.1 to W10 get recorded by MS server. So if you have clean installed W10 from ISO, please let me know if your copy of W10 RTM has an expiration date. You can access the dialog by Typing "winver" without the quotes into Run and hit Enter. Thanks!

Edit: I think I remembered it wrong. I have never upgraded from W8.1 to any Insider build. That's why in post #13, I could not activate W10 after clean install.

Last edited:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
In the past, I first upgraded from W8.1 to W10 but it was too buggy so I wiped the system and reinstalled W8.1. After a couple of build, I wiped the system again and clean-installed W10 from ISO. Because of this, I expect my RTM build has an expiration date. To my surprise, my Windows have no expiration date.

http://i.imgur.com/rwWRSNT.png

I wonder if this is a display bug or did my first upgrade from W8.1 to W10 get recorded by MS server. So if you have clean installed W10 from ISO, please let me know if your copy of W10 RTM has an expiration date. You can access the dialog by Typing "winver" without the quotes into Run and hit Enter. Thanks!

I went through the same process as you. I upgraded my 8.1 pro device to Windows 10 insider preview 10074, 10130, 10158, 10159, 10162 via Windows Update. It was running slow and being very buggy so when the ISO came out for 10162 i completely reinstalled 8.1 pro went through all the updates then popped in the CD for 10162 installed that and it was activated. Then i upgraded to 10166 and 10240 via Windows Update and it is still activated with no problems. I figured that if i chose to stop being an insider after July 29th i would have to reinstall 8.1 pro, get the "get windows 10" app and get the full version. I was planning on doing that most likely before july 29th. However, with this build, 10240, it does not have an expiration date and says it is activated. I still don't know for sure if i have to revert to 8.1 pro with my original key and get Windows 10 via Update to get the final version or if i just leave the computer as it is i will still be able to get the final version. So i do not have an expiration date and i installed 10162 via ISO. We'll see where this goes but i originally thought you had to get all the Insider Previews via Windows Update in order to get the final version even if you had a genuine device.

JayJayTG

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I really want to know the answer to this to. I will install 10240 now if I know. Was running the preview on a VM prior because I wasn't sure if i would need to roll back to 8.1 to activate Windows 10 with my current license. Hopefully it is recognised with 10240 and so it doesn't expire in a year. Anyone know the facts? Some stuff said isn't too clear and reformatting can be a hassle lol.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
OK, after reading this forum [DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Build 10240 - Page 57 I found out something.

You can check your expiration date by going to C:\Windows\System32 and type "slmgr /xpr". In my case, I got a message that says my Windows is permanently activated.

Edit: this just means your current windows installation has no expiration date. Whether you can reactivate windows after clean installing W10 is another issue.

Last edited:

Umbrokhan

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
i did clean install on ISO build 10162 now got build 10240.
shows no expire date and says permanently activated. I did clean install.

but before that i did upgrade from windows 8.1. then after i did clean install from ISO. and is activated forever ?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
i did clean install on ISO build 10162 now got build 10240.
shows no expire date and says permanently activated. I did clean install.

but before that i did upgrade from windows 8.1. then after i did clean install from ISO. and is activated forever ?

The only way to make sure is to clean install the RTM build. I would do so before the 1 year promotion expire. If things go wrong I can install W8.1 again and upgrade from there.

Umbrokhan

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
hopefully we will find out on 29th July if windows 10 is still activated or deactivated.
i try to ask Gabriel Aul on twitter see what he says.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
hopefully we will find out on 29th July if windows 10 is still activated or deactivated.
i try to ask Gabriel Aul on twitter see what he says.

Your current installation will stay activated forever but your activation is not guaranteed if you clean install. The only way to find out is to clean install.

Umbrokhan

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
yeah. Seems like Microsoft got my motherboard ID or BIOS details. i think the same.
what if your motherboard dies and you replace your old motherboard with new one?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
yeah. Seems like Microsoft got my motherboard ID or BIOS details. i think the same.
what if your motherboard dies and you replace your old motherboard with new one?

A word of caution. I just clean installed W10. I skipped all cd keys stuff, did not log in to my MS account and the result was that I could not activate Windows. Did you log in to your MS account when clean installing Windows? If yes then you may be activated as an Insider instead of as a retail customer. I'm installing W8.1 now and will upgrade from there.

Edit: after installing W8.1 with retail CD key and activated, I upgraded to W10, then clean installed W10 (still skipped all cd keys and MS account prompt), I could activate W10 again. I guess only now did MS record my hardware ID.

Edit 2: I think I remembered it wrong. I have never upgraded from W8.1 to any Insider build. That's why I could not activate W10 after clean install.

Last edited:

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

If the motherboard is replaced with the exact same model/version that failed the system would not see a difference. If you build your own system and put in a totally different board then technically it is not the same computer. If the computer had been activated with Windows 10 on the old board you would have to purchase Windows 10. Only volume licenses or retail licenses can be moved around

Umbrokhan

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Following an unfortunate miscommunication by Gabe Aul, Microsoft has been tying to eliminate this rumor to no avail. And the latest build, which is strongly believed to be the RTM version (see above), remains permanently activated, although no Windows 7 or 8.1 license is needed to run this installation. a slim chance remains that Windows Insiders will receive Windows 10 without a license validation after all.

KamikazeXeX

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to bump an old post, I have been running insider preview from 10159 and did all updates up to RTM (10240) and I noticed today I had an expiry date, ran slmgr /xpr and it confirmed I had a expiry date, did a little search around and came up with a reddit thread by coolbho3k entitled "Build 10240: Did you get assigned a license/product key?", I'd post the link but have to do the 10 post count befroe I can post links, after using the suggested key and re-running the slmgr /xpr it now says I'm permanently activated on retail, just incase it helps anyone I thought I'd share it here

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12