Did I Get Early Upgrade to Windows 10 Home?

Lucas Underwood

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I was running Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10162.
I ran an update and let it do its thing. My computer restarted and began the Windows installation with the multiple restarts after downloading, installing, etc.

This build was different as the Microsoft Terms of Service showed up before getting to Desktop.

Now on Desktop, I have no indication of a Technical Preview at all, and going to Properties on This PC, it says I am running Windows 10 Home.

Is there any information on this? Am I mistaken and this is just a Technical Preview without the watermark in the bottom right corner on the desktop? Did I get an early (and official) upgrade to full Windows 10? Has anybody else had this happen?

Posted July 24, 2015
2AM EST

Last edited:

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Interesting, did you upgrade from a Windows 7/8.1 Home version or did you do a clean install?

Go to All Settings ->Update and Security->Windows Update->(bottom of page) Advanced Options

Do you see a button that says, Stop Insider Builds?

Go to All Settings ->Update and Security->Activation

What Edition of Windows do you see?

This is very interesting, because if you upgraded from Windows 7/8.1 Home version and your RTM version is also a Home version, it answers a lot of questions on how Microsoft is going to handle Authentic versions - if you choose to leave the Insider program.

Lucas Underwood

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Scott

I used to have 8.1 Home on m Lenovo Yoga 13.
When I started the Insider Program, there was a point where I unfortunately went through some support issues, couldn't use the task bar, then had to do a clean install of the ISO. Everything was wiped from my computer. (luckily I was able to save all my personal files, pictures, document, etc. to an external hard drive so nothing was lost that I couldn't get back).

I just went and checked the Advanced Options under Updates. It does have the "Stop Insider Builds" button.

The Activation option says it has been Activated and I have a product key. It is for Windows 10

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
When you reinstalled from the ISO, I suppose the original key could have been saved as part of your insider profile and inherited when you reinstalled,

I put a new Hard drive in my PC before installing the first TP, I see exactly what you have except it is classified as a Pro.

I have been wondering how people with Home could gracefully end the Technical Preview without rolling back and reinstalling. It looks like Microsft addressed that by selecting the appropriate RTM version based on original upgrade specs.

Another question, was it professional before RTM or do you not know?

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Yep, it looks like Microsoft is storing a hardware profile an associating the OS registration along with your Microsoft account. In the future, if you ever need to do a reinstall - you won't have to go searching for that elusive product key.

A lot of forward looking in this article, but some facts as well. And it answers the questions about your setup.

http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-1...ccount-and-windows-10-activation-be-connected

Lucas Underwood

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure how they original key was tracked, but something had to have held onto it somewhere. If not, I had copied my computer to the external drive and had the ISO ready to go if I needed to roll back. I am glad however that the issue like this was addressed and that Microsoft saved the keys and automatically installed the equal Windows 10 version.
As for the last part, I don't believe I had Professional at all. I am almost positive I had Windows 8/8.1 Home when I got the laptop.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I think my question was confusing. Did you have a pro version of the TP until 10240 - I expect that you did. Once you received RTM, it was designed to test each version and you received Home...

Pretty slick.

Lucas Underwood

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh! I am sorry. I did not know that was what you were asking. As for what version of the TP, I honestly could not say. I am sorry I do not have that information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb