15% of Windows Users are Media Center Users that Can't Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I love my WMC and wont be upgrading it. I've got waaaaay toooo many videos and there is nothing out there than can replace it. Record 6 different things and unlimited storage all for the cost of a cable card.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft knows exactly how many people use WMC and for what purposes. Do you use guide data? They know... Do you have a cable card? They know... Do you use it just for OTA or do you simply use it for content archives? They know that as well.

If it had any market share at all Microsoft would have continued to support it, the fact is it doesn't.

You like it... I get that, but don't project your feelings on a viable product, because frankly it doesn't pay the bills.

Streaming systems like Roku and TiVo, apps like Plex and Vudu, services like Netflix SlingTV and HBO Streaming provide great solutions for pretty much anything you want to do.

WMC was a complete financial failure for Microsoft and the sooner the supporting platforms are out of support, the sooner they can stop paying for and providing tribune TV schedule data.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I love my WMC and wont be upgrading it. I've got waaaaay toooo many videos and there is nothing out there than can replace it. Record 6 different things and unlimited storage all for the cost of a cable card.

TiVo can do that... Yeah, you're going to argue, but you would be wrong. It can do everything you mentioned and more.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Guide Data? Oh, you are referring to Microsoft updating the guide service provider, this week, for Windows Media Center.

Respectfully, I wish you all well.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Instead of recording old shows of the air or cable... you could just get yourself a netflix account, and spare yourself the anguish of running low on hard drive space, recording times, and the such. You are looking for a free solution where none exist anymore. Just upgrade your internet and bite the bullet, or learn to not saturate your connection all at once. Fact of the matter is that few people use Media Center anymore, and I am not surprised to see MS killing it off in the face of streaming content. Ideally you could just go to the local library, and rent from them if you are so set on not paying for your content.

This entire thread is bizarre, it's like I stepped back into the early 2000s with phones interfering with internet, and companies such as ATI making an appearance.

I would love it if you would stop assuming everyone under 25 "streams without a conscious." It's annoying and about as inaccurate as 15% of Windows users using Media Player for anything at all. Most of the people I know at this age have either one or more streaming accounts for legal services.

You have been presented with multiple options, but you seem to have found your answer long before you clicked post. I'd recommend you go with that answer, and if you have any issues. I'd personally recommend you stick to your current OS, and enjoy your recorded content as you have before. Just be aware the Win10 free upgrade is only valid for one year.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Look, Windows Media Center (PlayReady 2.0) is depreciated.
With PlayReady 3.0 you do not need WMC in order to record and playback content, you can use any player you want!

The reality is the fact that Kodi has nightlies. WMC hasn't been updated in what, 8-9 years? If you cannot upgrade your hardware you may as well stick to your current OS. What is Windows 10 going to add to WMC? (Considering that there were no improvements since Vista)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Now I also hear that Microsoft will be forcing windows updates.
And they have installed a Screen Recorder.

I guess Microsoft has a way to remote into everyone's Win7-8-10 computers without us knowing but gees its getting Orwellian out there.

Its unreasonable for them to walk away from their users

And we need to let them know that... NOW

The screen recorder is for support purposes. I in fact used it to send them a windows feedback problem report. So yes it makes it easier on them when someone can't explain their actions and they can just submit a recording to the support rep. These recordings can be submitted through the support app. So tinfoil hats aside, these things are there to make supporting the OS easier. The customer is who clicks on "start recording".

Either way I'm sure Microsoft is building a better solution. Xbox DVR sounds like it may become the replacement, but who knows.

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think 15% of users is a very high estimate. However, I do agree they should carry forward WMC to Windows 10. There are costs involved related to format licenses, that is why they charged for it with Windows 8 (although they did give out free licenses early on). Have you thought about dual-booting Windows 7 & 10, until there is a better solution in Windows 10?

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I would wait and see, If you think about it, the Xbox one has the Xbox tv card. (in Europe) They will need to continue to support this when xbox one goes to windows 10 so I think you will see media center again in a different form. Now, granted the xbox one is not a PVR but I cannot see that being a major hurdle for them to add to the xbox one. With that running on xbox one running windows 10 then why would they stop you using it on the pc running windows 10? But hey, who knows!!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Love to see a source on the 15% number.

Tivo has always allowed you to archive content to a computer and there are some great community utilities that can automate the process. Google KMTTG

I also am a DIE hard Media Center user, I am Certified in Media Center from Microsoft and I was a MVP for 2010 and 2011 on WMC. I use it every day, have Exenders around the home and my WMC machine is dedicated Home theater PC with over 7tb of storage, that has over 300 movies and over 2tb for recorded TV. Trust me, I know Media Center... I actually support Media Center systems as well over teamviewer, I was working on a machine from Australia the other day, so I guess you can say I do GLOBAL media center support.

Last year I read that according to Microsoft that there was about 6% of users that use Windows Media Center (and this is for TV watching, not just playing a DVD).

So, I would love to see where that 15% number came from, if it's true, cool, would love to see the chance to get WMC on WIndows 10

I am only upgrading 1 machine in my home to Windows 10 and that machine will be dual booting with WIndows 7, this is due to WMC used around the home.

For those Media Center fans, Check out my Twitter page (see in my sig) I must of sent 50 tweets to Microsoft and re-tweeted tons of them about this subject, Media Center in Windows 10

@TheCoolDave

I think Microsoft really screwed up by at least not offering an option for WIndows Media Center. It has a global following (Media Center is available all over the world) and users who really know what it can do love it. There is a very loyal support base for this product and I still think it's one of the best programs/apps Microsoft has ever made.

At least they could do is release a Softsled type of app for Windows 10 (Use a Desktop as a Media Center Extender, so you can keep 1 7/8.1 WMC and be able to access the content from any WIndows 10 machine like you were using it). This would give the experience of WMC with out the licensing costs of PlayReady or cable labs.

Yeah, the only way that percentage makes sense is if its 15% of the Home version only. There's no way, with Pro/Ent versions included in the count.

Why wouldn't it be ? I have worked in offices that do stock trading and banking, and most desks had a TV playing, As I work in IT, the most affordable option was to use WMC with a limited cable line (blocked accept for 3-4 channels) so we used WMC on the desk with a custom QAM tuners.

It's used in the corporate world more than you think, so coming with those versions would qualify for it. Never mind the people who have 5-10 computers in their home and like to have the same version across all machines. Seen that too, as it's cheaper than buying retail.

Last edited:

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am only upgrading 1 machine in my home to Windows 10 and that machine will be dual booting with WIndows 7, this is due to WMC used around the home.

This is my situation. I had planned to move everyone in the family (family of 6 each with their own pc) to Windows 10, but when I get down to analyzing how the PCs are used then MCE is a big part of that. We still have several 360s which are used primarily as extenders. Every year that my kids get older, things change though. I would imagine that when I replace computers they will have to transition to something else.

So even with the "free" Windows 10 upgrade, it looks like we will just stick with what we have. I'll be updating my Surface 3, but everything else will just be on hold for a couple more years. Until then, I'll be looking at testing out a MythTV setup.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking for a WMC replacement, check out XBMC or Media Portal. I just hope that Windows 10 is enough of a success to have the software developers release updated versions for Windows 10 soon.

For those who are surprised about Microsoft orphaning WMC, you shouldn't be. It is part of their re-focus on 'productivity' applications and away from purely consumer applications for Windows. If you want a media platform, Microsoft is pushing XBox on consumers. At least that's how it appears to me.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Xbox is a pretty poor extender and always was. If you archive content onto a local server, you can use Plex on your Xbox - also there is a TiVo channel on Plex that will allow you to watch content directly from your TiVo's (Roku / fire and Chrome versions are rumored to be on the road-map)

All that said, if you want an extender, the TiVo Mini is the best solution. Pair it with any 4+ tuner TiVo and it gives you an identical TiVo experience as on the main box. TiVo Mini with lifetime can be found for $150

Also you get free apps for remote streaming to the operating system of your choice...

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I gave up on HTPC's not too long ago in favor of the TiVo. It blows them away. Sure it's some money up front, but it works well and with their mini boxes we have TV in every room with only one OTA antenna install outside, and using powerline adapters to get it there. Works awesome. I used to also have a 3Tb WD Live Box that we used with streaming movies, tv shows, etc... Well, that was only half full, so I installed a 4Tb drive into the TiVo, used PyTivo to transfer everything that the family still watches onto it, and now we don't need that device either. If you have all your movies, backups, etc..., on your PC, TiVo sent out an update that includes PLEX media server, so you just install the app on your PC, and you can be good to go that way. It really is an amazing time to be a cord cutter. Plus, TiVo already has all the big apps installed like Netflix, Hulu, YT, and a few others. Ain't missing anything here except for that huge sat bill we used to have.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This is my situation. I had planned to move everyone in the family (family of 6 each with their own pc) to Windows 10, but when I get down to analyzing how the PCs are used then MCE is a big part of that. We still have several 360s which are used primarily as extenders. Every year that my kids get older, things change though. I would imagine that when I replace computers they will have to transition to something else.

So even with the "free" Windows 10 upgrade, it looks like we will just stick with what we have. I'll be updating my Surface 3, but everything else will just be on hold for a couple more years. Until then, I'll be looking at testing out a MythTV setup.

Pretty much the same in my house.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking for a WMC replacement, check out XBMC or Media Portal. I just hope that Windows 10 is enough of a success to have the software developers release updated versions for Windows 10 soon.

For those who are surprised about Microsoft orphaning WMC, you shouldn't be. It is part of their re-focus on 'productivity' applications and away from purely consumer applications for Windows. If you want a media platform, Microsoft is pushing XBox on consumers. At least that's how it appears to me.

I'd be glad to buy an Xbone if it could be used as a DVR and take external drives to save my content.
I keep saying I'm just going to let cable go and just use HULU and Netflix, but I need to be able to record my local TV shows when I'm not home.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Xbox is a pretty poor extender and always was. .

I was looking for the "IMOP", but didn't see it. I've been using several Xbox consoles as extenders for years and they work like a champ, so I have no idea why you said what you said. In my case your statement just isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes