The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-27-2015 03:11 AM
100 1234
tools
    Instead of recording old shows of the air or cable... you could just get yourself a netflix account, and spare yourself the anguish of running low on hard drive space, recording times, and the such. You are looking for a free solution where none exist anymore. Just upgrade your internet and bite the bullet, or learn to not saturate your connection all at once. Fact of the matter is that few people use Media Center anymore, and I am not surprised to see MS killing it off in the face of streaming content. Ideally you could just go to the local library, and rent from them if you are so set on not paying for your content.

This entire thread is bizarre, it's like I stepped back into the early 2000s with phones interfering with internet, and companies such as ATI making an appearance.

I would love it if you would stop assuming everyone under 25 "streams without a conscious." It's annoying and about as inaccurate as 15% of Windows users using Media Player for anything at all. Most of the people I know at this age have either one or more streaming accounts for legal services.

You have been presented with multiple options, but you seem to have found your answer long before you clicked post. I'd recommend you go with that answer, and if you have any issues. I'd personally recommend you stick to your current OS, and enjoy your recorded content as you have before. Just be aware the Win10 free upgrade is only valid for one year.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    07-26-2015 11:06 PM
    Look, Windows Media Center (PlayReady 2.0) is depreciated.
    With PlayReady 3.0 you do not need WMC in order to record and playback content, you can use any player you want!

The reality is the fact that Kodi has nightlies. WMC hasn't been updated in what, 8-9 years? If you cannot upgrade your hardware you may as well stick to your current OS. What is Windows 10 going to add to WMC? (Considering that there were no improvements since Vista)
    Laura Knotek, Jazmac and 920Walker like this.
    07-27-2015 01:29 AM
    Now I also hear that Microsoft will be forcing windows updates.
    And they have installed a Screen Recorder.

I guess Microsoft has a way to remote into everyone's Win7-8-10 computers without us knowing but gees its getting Orwellian out there.

Its unreasonable for them to walk away from their users

And we need to let them know that... NOW
    The screen recorder is for support purposes. I in fact used it to send them a windows feedback problem report. So yes it makes it easier on them when someone can't explain their actions and they can just submit a recording to the support rep. These recordings can be submitted through the support app. So tinfoil hats aside, these things are there to make supporting the OS easier. The customer is who clicks on "start recording".

Either way I'm sure Microsoft is building a better solution. Xbox DVR sounds like it may become the replacement, but who knows.
    07-27-2015 07:06 AM
    I think 15% of users is a very high estimate. However, I do agree they should carry forward WMC to Windows 10. There are costs involved related to format licenses, that is why they charged for it with Windows 8 (although they did give out free licenses early on). Have you thought about dual-booting Windows 7 & 10, until there is a better solution in Windows 10?
    DavidinCT and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-27-2015 10:54 AM
    I would wait and see, If you think about it, the Xbox one has the Xbox tv card. (in Europe) They will need to continue to support this when xbox one goes to windows 10 so I think you will see media center again in a different form. Now, granted the xbox one is not a PVR but I cannot see that being a major hurdle for them to add to the xbox one. With that running on xbox one running windows 10 then why would they stop you using it on the pc running windows 10? But hey, who knows!!
    07-27-2015 11:15 AM
    Love to see a source on the 15% number.

Tivo has always allowed you to archive content to a computer and there are some great community utilities that can automate the process. Google KMTTG
    I also am a DIE hard Media Center user, I am Certified in Media Center from Microsoft and I was a MVP for 2010 and 2011 on WMC. I use it every day, have Exenders around the home and my WMC machine is dedicated Home theater PC with over 7tb of storage, that has over 300 movies and over 2tb for recorded TV. Trust me, I know Media Center... I actually support Media Center systems as well over teamviewer, I was working on a machine from Australia the other day, so I guess you can say I do GLOBAL media center support.

Last year I read that according to Microsoft that there was about 6% of users that use Windows Media Center (and this is for TV watching, not just playing a DVD).

So, I would love to see where that 15% number came from, if it's true, cool, would love to see the chance to get WMC on WIndows 10

I am only upgrading 1 machine in my home to Windows 10 and that machine will be dual booting with WIndows 7, this is due to WMC used around the home.

For those Media Center fans, Check out my Twitter page (see in my sig) I must of sent 50 tweets to Microsoft and re-tweeted tons of them about this subject, Media Center in Windows 10

@TheCoolDave

I think Microsoft really screwed up by at least not offering an option for WIndows Media Center. It has a global following (Media Center is available all over the world) and users who really know what it can do love it. There is a very loyal support base for this product and I still think it's one of the best programs/apps Microsoft has ever made.

At least they could do is release a Softsled type of app for Windows 10 (Use a Desktop as a Media Center Extender, so you can keep 1 7/8.1 WMC and be able to access the content from any WIndows 10 machine like you were using it). This would give the experience of WMC with out the licensing costs of PlayReady or cable labs.

Yeah, the only way that percentage makes sense is if its 15% of the Home version only. There's no way, with Pro/Ent versions included in the count.
    Why wouldn't it be ? I have worked in offices that do stock trading and banking, and most desks had a TV playing, As I work in IT, the most affordable option was to use WMC with a limited cable line (blocked accept for 3-4 channels) so we used WMC on the desk with a custom QAM tuners.

It's used in the corporate world more than you think, so coming with those versions would qualify for it. Never mind the people who have 5-10 computers in their home and like to have the same version across all machines. Seen that too, as it's cheaper than buying retail.
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-27-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    07-27-2015 02:42 PM
    TiVo can do that... Yeah, you're going to argue, but you would be wrong. It can do everything you mentioned and more.
    Will Tivo let me use my Xbox as a media center extender and view live TV and recorded shows?
    If it does then I'll give it a shot.
    07-27-2015 02:48 PM
    I am only upgrading 1 machine in my home to Windows 10 and that machine will be dual booting with WIndows 7, this is due to WMC used around the home.
    This is my situation. I had planned to move everyone in the family (family of 6 each with their own pc) to Windows 10, but when I get down to analyzing how the PCs are used then MCE is a big part of that. We still have several 360s which are used primarily as extenders. Every year that my kids get older, things change though. I would imagine that when I replace computers they will have to transition to something else.

So even with the "free" Windows 10 upgrade, it looks like we will just stick with what we have. I'll be updating my Surface 3, but everything else will just be on hold for a couple more years. Until then, I'll be looking at testing out a MythTV setup.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    07-27-2015 02:54 PM
    If you're looking for a WMC replacement, check out XBMC or Media Portal. I just hope that Windows 10 is enough of a success to have the software developers release updated versions for Windows 10 soon.

For those who are surprised about Microsoft orphaning WMC, you shouldn't be. It is part of their re-focus on 'productivity' applications and away from purely consumer applications for Windows. If you want a media platform, Microsoft is pushing XBox on consumers. At least that's how it appears to me.
    07-27-2015 04:36 PM
    Xbox is a pretty poor extender and always was. If you archive content onto a local server, you can use Plex on your Xbox - also there is a TiVo channel on Plex that will allow you to watch content directly from your TiVo's (Roku / fire and Chrome versions are rumored to be on the road-map)

All that said, if you want an extender, the TiVo Mini is the best solution. Pair it with any 4+ tuner TiVo and it gives you an identical TiVo experience as on the main box. TiVo Mini with lifetime can be found for $150

Also you get free apps for remote streaming to the operating system of your choice...
    07-27-2015 04:42 PM
    Will Tivo let me use my Xbox as a media center extender and view live TV and recorded shows?
    If it does then I'll give it a shot.
    No, but you can stream from a PC using the PLEX app they just installed.
    07-27-2015 06:42 PM
    I gave up on HTPC's not too long ago in favor of the TiVo. It blows them away. Sure it's some money up front, but it works well and with their mini boxes we have TV in every room with only one OTA antenna install outside, and using powerline adapters to get it there. Works awesome. I used to also have a 3Tb WD Live Box that we used with streaming movies, tv shows, etc... Well, that was only half full, so I installed a 4Tb drive into the TiVo, used PyTivo to transfer everything that the family still watches onto it, and now we don't need that device either. If you have all your movies, backups, etc..., on your PC, TiVo sent out an update that includes PLEX media server, so you just install the app on your PC, and you can be good to go that way. It really is an amazing time to be a cord cutter. Plus, TiVo already has all the big apps installed like Netflix, Hulu, YT, and a few others. Ain't missing anything here except for that huge sat bill we used to have.
    920Walker likes this.
    07-27-2015 06:47 PM
    This is my situation. I had planned to move everyone in the family (family of 6 each with their own pc) to Windows 10, but when I get down to analyzing how the PCs are used then MCE is a big part of that. We still have several 360s which are used primarily as extenders. Every year that my kids get older, things change though. I would imagine that when I replace computers they will have to transition to something else.

So even with the "free" Windows 10 upgrade, it looks like we will just stick with what we have. I'll be updating my Surface 3, but everything else will just be on hold for a couple more years. Until then, I'll be looking at testing out a MythTV setup.
    Pretty much the same in my house.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-27-2015 06:47 PM
    If you're looking for a WMC replacement, check out XBMC or Media Portal. I just hope that Windows 10 is enough of a success to have the software developers release updated versions for Windows 10 soon.

For those who are surprised about Microsoft orphaning WMC, you shouldn't be. It is part of their re-focus on 'productivity' applications and away from purely consumer applications for Windows. If you want a media platform, Microsoft is pushing XBox on consumers. At least that's how it appears to me.
    I'd be glad to buy an Xbone if it could be used as a DVR and take external drives to save my content.
    I keep saying I'm just going to let cable go and just use HULU and Netflix, but I need to be able to record my local TV shows when I'm not home.
    MoeJ likes this.
    07-27-2015 06:50 PM
    Xbox is a pretty poor extender and always was. .
    I was looking for the "IMOP", but didn't see it. I've been using several Xbox consoles as extenders for years and they work like a champ, so I have no idea why you said what you said. In my case your statement just isn't true.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-27-2015 06:52 PM
    I'd be glad to buy an Xbone if it could be used as a DVR and take external drives to save my content.
    I keep saying I'm just going to let cable go and just use HULU and Netflix, but I need to be able to record my local TV shows when I'm not home.
    See my post above, and the TiVo OTA I got has 4 tuners, and I can program it on the go.
    Scott Bradley likes this.
    07-27-2015 06:52 PM
    I don't know. I just have the gut feeling that TiVo isn't the right choice right now. Hate to be stuck with a LTS and no 4k streaming option for Netflix. That being said I'll keep an eye on it.
    07-27-2015 07:13 PM
    I don't know. I just have the gut feeling that TiVo isn't the right choice right now. Hate to be stuck with a LTS and no 4k streaming option for Netflix. That being said I'll keep an eye on it.
    Ya, I wish, lol. I have to make do with 6-7 meg DSL, so this is as good as it gets for me. I think I am finally in the bottom 15 percent of internet speeds now. Kinda sucks.
    07-27-2015 08:00 PM
    I also use my WMC as a DVR and only that. I use VLC to play DVD's. I have a Ceton Infinity 4 card and love it. I rarely use WMC to watch live tv but it is fantastic as a DVR.

Since Ceton is continuing to sell the Infinity 6 cards "now" they have to be planning on some way for their cards to work in Win 10 computers although they are not releasing any future plans. I really doubt that they are just selling cards and then when sales drop off, just quit business. They have to have some play for us customers.

I did last week get the X 1 system from Comcast which has 4 tuners in it but will get the upgrade to 6 tuner box when they become available. I also got a $20 a month reduction in my cable bill for 2 years. I have one laptop and one desktop and as of now I will only upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 and will wait on Ceton to see what they do. I have only one TV that is connected to my computer so I can watch recorded TV on my TV set.

This works for me and others that I know.

Jim
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-27-2015 10:38 PM
    I also use my WMC as a DVR and only that. I use VLC to play DVD's. I have a Ceton Infinity 4 card and love it. I rarely use WMC to watch live tv but it is fantastic as a DVR.

Since Ceton is continuing to sell the Infinity 6 cards "now" they have to be planning on some way for their cards to work in Win 10 computers although they are not releasing any future plans. I really doubt that they are just selling cards and then when sales drop off, just quit business. They have to have some play for us customers.

I did last week get the X 1 system from Comcast which has 4 tuners in it but will get the upgrade to 6 tuner box when they become available. I also got a $20 a month reduction in my cable bill for 2 years. I have one laptop and one desktop and as of now I will only upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 and will wait on Ceton to see what they do. I have only one TV that is connected to my computer so I can watch recorded TV on my TV set.

This works for me and others that I know.

Jim
    But, what's the bill? Those of us who do this are looking for either very cheap, or free.
    07-27-2015 11:09 PM
    But, what's the bill? Those of us who do this are looking for either very cheap, or free.
    Not everyone is going for CHEAP. Media Center works great with OTA tuners or even Cablecard tuners (AKA not free), The advantage is, you can extend the content to other rooms in your home with a Xbox 360 (you can have it boot directly into MC), you can run 5 Extenders at a time and the limit for tuners (officially with modifications) is 32 (32 FREAKING TUNERS !). The most I had at one time was 12 tuners. It is a VERY EXPANDABLE product in this aspect. Look over every other product out there, all HTPC options or even Tivo, the expandability of WMC can not be matched. And for all the HTPC based software Media Center is the ONLY one available right now that works with protected content from cablecard (premium channels)

Now if you had a DVR with cable, you would pay a $9.99 DVR fee, then you would pay $5.99 for the rental of the cable box (depending on provider), With WMC, you would need just a cablecard, dropped into a 3, 4 or 6 cablecard tuner and most cable companies allow the first cable card for free ($1.50-3 for a 2nd one). Media Center would wipe away all those fees and in most areas you just pay for the content you want, not rental or DVR fees.

And no monthly charges like TiVo charges for guide data....guide data on WMC is free.

Another thing about Media Center that can be cost effective, When Windows 7 was released, single core and dual core CPUs were the norm. Windows Media Center does NOT need a i7 with all the trimmings. My HTPC has a Core2Quad (about a 5-6 year old CPU) and with a good video card I can even play back 4K video on it with not a single studder. It was designed for older CPUs, so even with a BRAND new i7, the performance on WMC is not really crazy more than a 5 year old PC

A lower end $200-300 PC with a few tuners and a remote could work with OTA or even cablecard content perfectly. People who don't think a PC can be reliable, are nuts ! With tweaking, clean install, disabling updates (warning noted if used for more than TV/movie watching). and scheduled reboots, it can be flawless. I went over a year with out touching my system as everything was automated in the back ground. It can be made set it and forget it...

We still need a Windows Media Center option in Windows 10 and a Xbox one for an extender option would be sweet...
    07-27-2015 11:51 PM
    If nothing else this thread reminded me I had upgraded to Pro with WMC some time ago and then forgot all about it, then wiped my PC and re-installed Windows.

If I hadn't seen this thread I would have just got the home version of W10 instead of the pro version.
    07-28-2015 02:39 AM
    Microsoft does not want to compete with cable companies. Vidipath looks alright, DLNA compliance is nice.
    07-28-2015 07:39 AM
    So you pull an obviously inflated number out of your ****, put it in your subject to get attention, and then you "don't feel the need" to admit that this is obviously something you made up.

Microsoft has publicly stated that Media Center users are a tiny minority of the user base (i.e. not 15%) and that most of the people who used Media Center clicked on it by accident! They also said most users that do run it only use it for DVD playback.

So not only are you wrong about the % usage of Media Center, you're also one that falls into a use case that is a minority of a minority.

Look, I get it. It sucks when companies kill off products that you use regularly and enjoy. But that's life. You make it sound like Microsoft owes it to you because you've "paid" for this feature. Honestly, you probably haven't since it was essentially a free OS component. Even if you did, you've already gotten your use out of it.

Move on or don't. But don't go posting lies that are doing nothing but misguide people.
    Last edited by kriz225; 07-28-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Grammar
    07-28-2015 08:08 AM
    I have cable and internet and my bill was $132 a month and for the next two years it will be $109 a month. Without this deal/package a DVR supplied by Comcast would have cost about $18 a month more than what I was paying and I was not going to pay more since I had purchased the Ceton card for $299, which paid for in savings by not renting a DVR from Comcast.
    I still will wait to upgrade to Win 10 on this box till I see what Ceton does.
    Kevin Rush and MikeSo like this.
    07-28-2015 08:43 AM
100 1234