HERE Drive - Bye Windows?

TheFryerD

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
With Here being brought out, does that mean the end for Windows? Or even Android? I use it alot and love it, but im just wondering if they will pull it or just not update it anymore. If they did either do you think Microsoft will make there own GPS with Bing?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we really know what's in store for HERE as we know it since its not like Google or Apple acquired it.

Doesn't the Maps app in 10 do turn by turn navigation now? I think I might have heard it in passing...

TheFryerD

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Just got done looking at it, and obviously it's nothing like HERE, but it seems to be using HERE, hope that makes sense. You are right, if it was Google or Apple it would be far gone. But in all reality Microsoft would of been best when it comes to owning it.

Sicarius123

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't want a top down navigation in my car at all, so if that's all Microsoft can offer, I'm not interested. There is a reason the 3D view is so popular for turn by turn nav.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we really know what's in store for HERE as we know it since its not like Google or Apple acquired it.

Doesn't the Maps app in 10 do turn by turn navigation now? I think I might have heard it in passing...

The maps in Windows 10 is still a HERE product. Check the credits and copyrights.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
i've been using the beta for a while, and denied the update procedure when prompted each time. just keep the stock old application safe somewhere and sideload it if need be. the maps are easily enough found everywhere online. no biggie, and it's a good app.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Not a fan of turn-by-turn navigation, and the few times I have used Here it has invariably taken me the wrong route. I don't think I've used it since it took me down a dead-end one-way street--no way out legally. My wife uses it more and has lots of tales of ending up in weird situations. Not impressed.

carraig

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
If I recall correctly, Microsoft has a 10 year license to use the HERE maps; unfortunately I don't know what the starting date was...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not a fan of turn-by-turn navigation, and the few times I have used Here it has invariably taken me the wrong route. I don't think I've used it since it took me down a dead-end one-way street--no way out legally.
When you got to the end, were there thousands of abandoned cars? Or do you think this is a new concept for cities to generate revenue by automatically taking pictures and mailing wrong way tickets to the owners?

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Here Drive's functionality is really inconsistent across OSes. I'm from Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. Once nokia abandoned symbian and upgraded from 7.5 devices, Here Drive, has been issuing an error basically sayng they cannot route destinations within my region due to lack of updated maps. Surprisingly, I used an andriod phone, accessed Here Maps, and found that I could navigate to destinations within my country using this android counterpart. WP here drive still does not function. This goes to show how awful support has been. smh

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
The Maps app in both PC and mobile is subject to the HERE TOS and privacy statement. Ifi t is not a HERE app, why would their terms of service apply? go to settings and scroll all the way to the bottom.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
When you got to the end, were there thousands of abandoned cars? Or do you think this is a new concept for cities to generate revenue by automatically taking pictures and mailing wrong way tickets to the owners?
Nope--there was a Post Office parking lot that only allowed access to postal trucks. I had searched for the Post Office to mail a package and it took me down a narrow, one-way street that only went to the PO parking lot for official vehicles. The trucks could exit by another route, but not me!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not a fan of turn-by-turn navigation, and the few times I have used Here it has invariably taken me the wrong route. I don't think I've used it since it took me down a dead-end one-way street--no way out legally. My wife uses it more and has lots of tales of ending up in weird situations. Not impressed.

I don't think a dead end one way street should be legal either, lol.

Had Garmin take me up a little dirt road that ended on a big hill top. It then wanted me to go through some trees.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Had Garmin take me up a little dirt road that ended on a big hill top. It then wanted me to go through some trees.
We were headed to a ski area in Vermont and were going to meet someone else there. We got a call from them saying they were getting worried about the route Garmin was taking them as it was an unplowed narrow dirt road. I pulled out a paper map I had and told them to turn around--that road was labeled "summer only" on the paper map. My dad was using his Garmin to find an antique shop out in the sticks and when it announced he had arrived he was in the middle of an empty field on a farm road. You have to use navigation with your mind in gear.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The current maps application in W10 mobile preview uses data from HERE as well as Bing own data (for 3D) and many other mapping companies
But I am using HERE maps and HERE drive+ only

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
We were headed to a ski area in Vermont and were going to meet someone else there. We got a call from them saying they were getting worried about the route Garmin was taking them as it was an unplowed narrow dirt road. I pulled out a paper map I had and told them to turn around--that road was labeled "summer only" on the paper map. My dad was using his Garmin to find an antique shop out in the sticks and when it announced he had arrived he was in the middle of an empty field on a farm road. You have to use navigation with your mind in gear.

Yup, sometimes tech can dumb us down. If you're in the sticks keep an old fashioned local map with you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon