My Windows 10 update is stuck at the Welcome Back screen, how can I fix this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

windows 10 update stuck at Welcome back! screen

so i installed windows 10 this morning and it went through the steps and got to a point in the install that says "Hi there, welcome back!" with a "next" button in the bottom right of the screen. When i click it nothing happens. If i click on the screen after about a minute it goes lighter blue and then reboots back to the very same screen. Please help my computer has been rendered useless.

onewaydown

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: windows 10 update stuck at Welcome back! screen

Might sound weird, but it worked for me... don't click on Next with your mouse. Tab over with your keyboard until it's highlighted and hit Space.

x2mjokada

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm upgrading from a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 machine.
I also tried using the suggested keyboard solution above with no luck.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

onewaydown

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Other people have said just to click it and wait like 10-15 minutes and it eventually goes forward. That didn't do anything for me. Somehow using the keyboard did. (though, the next issue I have is wifi not working)

Luis Figuer

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, the click and don't do anything else hasn't worked for me, neither the keyboard strategy. At this point I would like to roll back but I am not sure how can I do that if I am still stuck on this, for sure I don't want to lose any information on my pc. Any thoughts?

thesherpa

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

same trouble. I let it update last night to windows10 from win7ultimate, came in this morning to the welcome screen and it does not progress forward. if i click on stuff more than a few times it reboots otherwise its been just sitting. i can not click out from me to another user. have just tried the tab/space combo.

excelsior12

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem. Boots to the green screen and then I'm frozen. I have tried both the space bar/tab trick and the clicking once and then waiting (in my case overnight).

I'm also upgrading from a Windows 7 Premium. I hope someone comes up with a solutions soon, don't want to lose my data!

x2mjokada

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I think I've found a solution to this problem, or at least this is what worked for me.

TL;DR - Try disabling network devices or removing as many USB peripherals as possible.

[Some background info]
- I performed the windows 10 upgrade through the media creation tool downloaded from Microsoft's website.
- The system I am upgrading is a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 custom built desktop machine; therefore upgrading to Windows 10 Home.
- I am using a USB 3.0 Wi-Fi adapter to connect this system to the internet (Netgear AC1200 model: A6210-100PAS)

[Solution]

On the 'welcome back!' screen after performing the Windows 10 upgrade, my system would stall when trying to move forward by either clicking 'Next' or trying to switch user, and if I clicked a subsequent time the computer would just restart and begin the same loop over again. (not a very nice 'welcome back!' experience)

The way I fixed this problem was simply by unplugging my USB Wi-Fi adapter and booting up the system. At this point the system was not connected to the network and I was able to move forward from the 'welcome back!' screen without the system freezing up and restarting. Not sure if the solution was based on the fact that the PC was no longer connected to the network or just simply removing a USB device from the PC during setup.

I hope this helps anyone having a similar issue.

Luis Figuer

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I love you, I really do, as soon as I took off the USB Wi-Fi and restarting I was able to past through the welcome back screen and finished the configuration. I use a Panda Wireless USB adapter in case that helps for something. Just got it removed and I am back on business, previously I tried removing other usb peripherals but was hesitant on removing the wireless adapter.

onewaydown

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I think I've found a solution to this problem, or at least this is what worked for me.

TL;DR - Try disabling network devices or removing as many USB peripherals as possible.

[...]
[Solution]

On the 'welcome back!' screen after performing the Windows 10 upgrade, my system would stall when trying to move forward by either clicking 'Next' or trying to switch user, and if I clicked a subsequent time the computer would just restart and begin the same loop over again. (not a very nice 'welcome back!' experience)

The way I fixed this problem was simply by unplugging my USB Wi-Fi adapter and booting up the system. At this point the system was not connected to the network and I was able to move forward from the 'welcome back!' screen without the system freezing up and restarting. Not sure if the solution was based on the fact that the PC was no longer connected to the network or just simply removing a USB device from the PC during setup.

I hope this helps anyone having a similar issue.

I love you, I really do, as soon as I took off the USB Wi-Fi and restarting I was able to past through the welcome back screen and finished the configuration. I use a Panda Wireless USB adapter in case that helps for something. Just got it removed and I am back on business, previously I tried removing other usb peripherals but was hesitant on removing the wireless adapter.

I was just going to post that but took me this long to sort out my USB WiFi drivers for Win 8/10. =) WiFi is probably the main culprit. Congrats and hopefully others will stumble on this thread from Google like I did.

x2mjokada

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

No Problem! I'm glad this worked for you, I know how frustrating this issue was.

I was just going to post that but took me this long to sort out my USB WiFi drivers for Win 8/10. =) WiFi is probably the main culprit. Congrats and hopefully others will stumble on this thread from Google like I did.

Haven't actually had a chance to test my Wi-Fi adapter after finally getting to the desktop, I just hope I don't run into more issues with the Wi-Fi/drivers...

kaicee2010

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Last night, I removed my network adapter, rebooted, and was able to continue to the next screen with no issues. My wi-fi is acting a little wonky as well, so I'll have to try to figure that one out. But you saved me a lot of stress and frustration.

Thanks again!

x2mjokada

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Last night, I removed my network adapter, rebooted, and was able to continue to the next screen with no issues. My wi-fi is acting a little wonky as well, so I'll have to try to figure that one out. But you saved me a lot of stress and frustration.

Thanks again!

No problem!

I'm also having some WiFi issues as well now that I got to the desktop. Initially I wasn't even able to connect to any wireless networks and the system would freeze up everything I tried to get into the adapter settings.

What I had to do was reboot my system into SAFE MODE and go into DEVICE MANAGER. From there I navigated to NETWORK ADAPTERS and found the USB Adapter that I am using. I right-clicked on it and selected to uninstall the device (also checked the box to uninstall the device driver).
After this I rebooted back into the normal desktop and the WiFi adapter started working with the default Windows wireless network drivers (not the manufacture [NETGEAR] specific drivers). I was finally able to connect to the Internet after this.

The problem I am still having though is that my adapter is compatible for use with Wireless AC. I've been using this feature to connect to my 5GHz wireless network at home in order to achiever the faster wireless AC speeds. This was working flawlessly in Windows 8.1/7 with the manufacturers drivers. However, with the default Windows drivers in Windows 10, this feature doesn't seem to be working with my wireless adapter and it cannot even detect the 5GHz network connections any longer.

This won't be much of an issue if you are using 2.4GHz connections, but I prefer the much faster speeds of 5GHz as it is a difference of night and day to me.

I guess I may just have to wait for the manufacturer to release official working drivers for Windows 10, unless someone has found a way to fix this problem. This might be a deal breaker for me if the manufacturer doesn't release new drivers soon, I may just have to.... hate to say this.... revert back to Windows 8.1/7 (updated 2 different PCs)...............................

Last edited:

CaliforniaKimmie

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Brilliant fix. Unplugged the WiFi (netgear usb) and the Logitech wireless mouse. Left the rest of my usb items plugged in and it finished.. now to fight with drivers. Happy happy joy joy

Sarvesh Huddedar

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I am also on the same screen and tried to reboot into all possible options as below

1. safe mode
2. safe mode without network
3. disable rebooting after failure

Nothing worked so far. i am wondering why they didn;t pickup old drives from original installation of earlier operating system.

many are facing same situation and i have only wireless kb and mouse for this system.. also i have wireless wifi key hooked up for this device.

i will try this suggested option tonight after reaching home and keep you posted about my situation.

Thanks for sharing this information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon