Error C1900204 When Installing Windows 10

DecentDreamer

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea what's going on, but it is constantly downloading the entire thing then getting to the installation and saying there is an error. I tried using the media tool and the media tool seems to work but then gets to where I select what I want to keep. It will not allow me to accept anything other than "nothing." I cannot update if I lose everything. Anyone have any ideas to help me out? I'm updating from Windows 8.1.

sasaen01

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I get the same error and am also installing from Windows 8.1. Not sure what the issue is...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zigojacko

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Have you changed your default installation path in Windows at all (either via a utility tool or directly in the registry)?

If so, this is likely the reason for this error code and you need to reinstate back to the default installation path (C:\) in order to download and install Windows 10.

To change the registry, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor by entering ?Regedit? in the search All programs.
2. Locate the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.
4. Click OK and Exit.

Carlo Luib-Finetti

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Oh man! This stupid installation process reminds me to the old days, when MS produced crappy software. After fixing the value in my registry, I hoped the problem was gone. But STUPID! No, it didn't. The installation program just gave up once more - this was the third try!!! And the most annoying thing is, that it immediately deletes the downloaded file, so you have to repeat the procedure. Why can't this program not tell what it is missing or tell the user what he has to change?
Children's disease? Do I have to wait some more weeks until Microsoft will correct this silly behaviour? Or shall I expect this is the precursor to what I have to expect migrating to Windows 10???? :cry:

Addendum: finally (today) it worked - don't know why. In fact, I run the download 4 times -:)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes