W10 Tablet Mode Keyboard not automatic in MS Word 2013 (Office 365)

McCarthyMR

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I write a lot and have Office 365's Word 2013 on my Tablet.

I noticed this morning when in Tablet mode, if I opened a file in Word and clicked to edit, the pop-up keyboard wouldn't come up. This was an issue as I was unable to locate it in the task bar anymore.

In order to update my file, I was forced to go back to laptop mode so I had the keyboard option available again.

Anyone else experienced this?

awsomsauce

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Tablet Mode Keyboard not automatic in MS Word 2013 (Office 365)

yes! except I can't get the keyboard to pop up in either mode, and the icon is not showing in the taskbar, either. no idea what happened. running the system file checker scan now, hoping that fixes it

awsomsauce

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

I think I figured it out! If you long press or right click on the taskbar, there is an option to "show touch keyboard button". You need to do this separately in tablet and laptop mode. But the keyboard button is back and in tablet mode it pops up automatically. Hope this works for you!

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

Apart from the "show touch keyboard" icon on the taskbar, I found that if you simply touch once or double-click in Word 2013 it assumes you want to highlight or move the page. Wait 2 seconds and tap again and the keyboard pops up. Tested with and without the "show touch keyboard".

Ian Mac

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

On my Surface 3 there is also a setting under Settings/Devices/Typing which says something along the lines of show touch keyboard for windowed apps when no keyboard is attached (it's the bottom setting). The default on my system was off - when I turned it on the keyboard would appear automatically for win32 apps. Not sure if this will help - I don't have my surface with me so can't check it.

Damian Montero

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Simple solutions:

Go to start, then settings. Choose "DEVICES" then "typing.

There's an option at the bottom called:

"Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached to your device"

I would say if that's NOT what you're looking for then microsoft did NOT just read your mind.

WharncliffeOwl

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

I can summon up the on board keyboard as the task bar icon is there for me. When clicking on the icon I then like to select the keyboard represented by the icon on the far right. When selecting this though the Caps lock is always highlighted and cannot be toggled on or off and although Caps is selected, the keyboard only types in lower case. If I come out and select one of the other keyboards available and then immediately go back to my first choice one, it clears the Caps and all is OK until the next time when it repeats itself. Not a massive problem as I prefer using the touch keyboard anyway but just flagging it up. I use a Surface Pro 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss