As the Facebook app goes, so goes the app store...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
How can Microsoft let one of the most used apps, if not THE most used, in the world be this bad? The Facebook app will for many new Windows 10 users, going from Windows 7 especially, be the very first Windows 10 app that they use. I am incredulous that Microsoft hasn't used any means necessary to make this app as feature rich as it is on the web and on iOS and Android.

If they are serious about making the app Store a "thing" on Windows 10, they can't let this poor excuse for an app be the face of it.

Also, they have removed the "Last updated" information from apps in the Windows 10 Store. I know they were probably embarrassed that most apps never see any updates, but until they put that information back I will not purchase ANY apps. It is a crucial piece of information in the decision to spend money on something. A really consumer-hostile move, just to hide their own lack of success with apps.

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It's harder for Microsoft to make a Facebook app while they don't have the same sources of data and algorithems as Facebook inc.
Changes to one of those factors [Data type/algorithems/adding new feature to the official web-based facebook] will make Microsoft hard to keep a track on it. It's true that they need to try harder.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's harder for Microsoft to make a Facebook app while they don't have the same sources of data and algorithems as Facebook inc.
Changes to one of those factors [Data type/algorithems/adding new feature to the official web-based facebook] will make Microsoft hard to keep a track on it. It's true that they need to try harder.

Absolutely, they need to try harder. I honestly don't care what they have to do, they MUST do it. Hell, even a web wrapper would be better for the Windows 10 Store right now. Most people wouldn't even know, and it would be ten times better than the pathetic Facebook app they have now.

They can't succeed with the apps like this, and if they can't succeed with apps, their entire mobile strategy is dead. It all hinges on people usig Windows 10 on desktops and laptops enough that they seek out apps, which then can be designed and used on Windows 10 Mobile as well. There are many nice touches in Windows 10 that carries over to Mobile, and I think it might get people to take a look at the new flagship phones when they come out.
However, if they see apps like Facebook (and see that hardly anything else is in the app Store for them), they won't even bother. This isn't something that Microsoft can drag their feet on, and "it's hard" can't be their excuse.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I do agree that removing the last updated date seems a bit shady. But, in all fairness, everyone has different opinions about different apps on different platforms. I just came back from Android and I didn't find the Facebook app that spectacular in comparison.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know that IE is much better than the app. That's exactly the problem for Microsoft, and that's what this thread is about.

Microsoft counts on their app store to succeed to be able to remain relevant, but nothing that they offer is better than a web browser. That is a disastrous business model for them.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I do agree that removing the last updated date seems a bit shady. But, in all fairness, everyone has different opinions about different apps on different platforms. I just came back from Android and I didn't find the Facebook app that spectacular in comparison.

I don't think you have used the Facebook app much in comparison then. The way content is displayed inside the app, the way comments are displayed and navigated through, pictures etc... There is no comparison. The Android app has so many features that the Windows app lacks that it's ridiculous.

Anyone that is a frequent user of that and comes to Windows 10 will get a very bad first impression if they load up the Facebook app. It certainly won't encourage them to seek out other apps instead of using the browser... Which won't encourage developers to make apps for Windows 10, which in turn will leave the app store as barren as it today, which will keep destroying Windows Phone. That's why this matters.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd chip in ..... I do agree the Facebook has its faults! But with respect, I've used all the platforms and its not always greener on the other side. The wp app "looks better" yeah it's missing things....but I had a better experience with our app. It goes to show how important Apps are( sad but true) to a platform.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
How can Microsoft let one of the most used apps, if not THE most used, in the world be this bad? The Facebook app will for many new Windows 10 users, going from Windows 7 especially, be the very first Windows 10 app that they use. I am incredulous that Microsoft hasn't used any means necessary to make this app as feature rich as it is on the web and on iOS and Android.

If they are serious about making the app Store a "thing" on Windows 10, they can't let this poor excuse for an app be the face of it.

Also, they have removed the "Last updated" information from apps in the Windows 10 Store. I know they were probably embarrassed that most apps never see any updates, but until they put that information back I will not purchase ANY apps. It is a crucial piece of information in the decision to spend money on something. A really consumer-hostile move, just to hide their own lack of success with apps.

I know the Facebook app of Windows Store has limited functions. But it behaves quite well for basic usage. It launches quickly and runs quite smoothly. It supports messaging within the app (voice messages not supported yet). I don't think it is that "bad".

And you always have a choice to use a browser for Facebook. I think it is very normal for people to use a desktop browser for facebook if available, especially when they need to do more sophisticated tasks.

I think Windows Store needs those apps which have no browser alternatives. For facebook, the web version always has the richest features. Even iOS/Android Facebooks apps have many many limitations. Imagine you have a MacBook and an iPhone, would you still insist on using Facebook app on the iPhone instead of using it with Safari on your MacBook?

bigtlb

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Right now, a search for "Facebook" in the Windows App Store does not return the app. The direct store link still works. But, if you go to the publisher's name at the bottom, and see all the apps published by Facebook, the list is blank.

So, the app has currently been withdrawn from the store... Is this because a new release is imminent? Has Microsoft pulled it because it provides a subpar user experience (esp. in light of the Windows 10 release)? Has Facebook pulled it to force everyone to the web site?

gnd1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Not that this is really relevant but one big advantage to using FB on IE(or any browser) instead of the app, is the ability to use the online message thing. The FB app wants you to download and use the separate FB Messenger App. I see this as a pain. The same is true for using Facebook on a smartphone. Use the browser to go to Facebook, not the App.

bigtlb

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Facebook Messenger on Windows Phone is great! You get push notifications, and in many cases I prefer it over SMS. I wish it had better emoji support, but you it is livable.

On the WinRT app, messaging is still integral to the application. But, sometimes causes the whole app to blow up (this really needs to be fixed). Uninstalling and reinstalling to fix this blow up was what caused me to notice that the app was no longer available in the Windows App Store (at least for Win 10).

bigtlb

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
And the Facebook app in the Windows Store is back. Don't know if it is the same version or not. Don't know if it was intentionally taken offline or if it was just a technical glitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos