Windows 10 really needed another year of development

KevinM1

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have upgraded two computers to Windows 10 at the behest of their owners, and I have to say I'm not impressed.

I've had a problem where none of the Windows buttons on the taskbar (like the start button, Cortana, notification center, etc.) would work, requiring a fix using powershell.

I've had a problem where all previously existing documents were suddenly listed as read-only.

I'm currently having major problems getting homegroup - which worked perfectly in Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 - to work.

The UI is a mishmash of different styles, with the old Windows Vista/7 options still providing the best utility.

The whole thing is just a mess, and really needed to stay in the oven longer. It's simply not ready.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like you did in-place upgrades so maybe try a clean install. I've done a couple upgrades and have not had any of the problems you mention, although I don't use homegroups. Mine were in-place upgrades but with relatively new builds, i.e., less than a year, which were very stable to start. One was from a newer desktop running Windows 7, the other was a 4 year old laptop running 8.1. Both went flawlessly.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I love W10, really better than W8. No problems and I just upgraded and not a clean install. All the buttons work, Touchscreen or mouse.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i had similar troubnles and still having troubles with things like pin an app i did an fresh install but still the trouble, also had troubles like could not save files because the folders were read only, and also had mixed troubles, this version of windows looks unfinished, like one thing in one control panel another in other, is really unfinished, why have two control panels if should both merge in just 1 or why have to now use tricks to customize the color of environment for elements if should be all in the customization menu, or some apps downloaded from the store gets itself closed or why hell when open the devices manager of the traditional way and when close the window again get opened the window my computer when i already had closed. it feel very beta this version, i do not understand where is the work of the insiders here if i watch two control panels then should suggested the merge of both., also i found some errors of translation on the spanish version appears jugar ahora , (play now) but should say reproducir ahora , is a very bad error of translation[

ATTACH=CONFIG]110794[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
That's why MS has stated very clearly from the start that Windows 10 is ALWAYS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS. So far, beside the worsened battery life and some weird UI bugs at times, I have found nothing to complain about Windows 10. Maybe power users like you will find the control panel is more useful but average consumers will certainly find the new setting page much easier to use and navigate. And you should know that not many people are power users, that's why so many get hooked on Apple's products. I don't consider myself an average consumer, but I found that I had started using the setting app more and more.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I have done upgrades on 5 machines without a single problem. Sounds like you are not the person to touch other peoples computers.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
1) "I've had a problem where none of the Windows buttons on the taskbar (like the start button, Cortana, notification center, etc.) would work, requiring a fix using powershell."

HHad this problem after trying to fix problems no. (2) with powershell and fixing file permission.

2) "I've had a problem where all previously existing documents were suddenly listed as read-only."

At first I thought this is the first problem I encountered, but then I realized that the current user group lost the permission to write, rendering all files read only, have to change the permission manually, but changes are lost upon logging in. The problem only happened after I'm trying to set a Homegroup (problem no. (3))

3) "I'm currently having major problems getting homegroup - which worked perfectly in Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 - to work."
Yes this is the source of problem IMO. Reset my PC and all three problems are gone. Not refresh, as refresh retains the same files with buggy permission from in place upgrade.
4) "The UI is a mishmash of different styles, with the old Windows Vista/7 options still providing the best utility."

This is just a bad taste of design, no fix available.

Javteshwar

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Well I have been an insider since day one and believe me the change that has been there is tremendous. There was a time when I lost all hope and started to believe that it is going to be a failure. But today I'm really happy and I know there will be constant updates that will fix all the issues

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
It seems that Windows 10 installation may cause some devices to behave strangely. I believe it affects a very small percentage of users.

I hope Microsoft can improve the installation program so as to avoid the perception that Windows 10 is so buggy. I believe many of the buggy behaviours only happen in those devices with "bad" installation.

I am now using Windows 10 as my daily driver. There are some minor bugs which are not so critical to me. I enjoy it a lot.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I've already written my take on this in another post, but to put it in a nutshell, I broadly agree with the OP, even if I wouldn't say an extra year is needed.

Microsoft *had* to release W10 end of July, not to miss the back to school period and allow OEM to prepare new computers, etc.

So they released what a start up would name a MVP, a Minimal Viable Product. Viable, as not totally beta and mainly does its job. Minimal, as not 100% perfect.

End of July means also a lot of people on vacations, so less demanding (as compared to office customers, etc.) In the meanwhile, they've already switched to the new TH2 branch (mobile & PC) and they're improving W10 maturity. A former Acompli developer said on Twitter that they plan a weekly update of outlook mail&calendar, with an aggressive update policy (I quote), along with the W10 Mobile development roadmap. Of cours, PC version will benefit from the improvements/new features.

So I would say that when TH2 is out, or more exactly, when W10Mobile is out, W10 PC's maturity will have improved a lot. And actually, I'm waiting for TH2/W10M release to upgrade my home PC from W7 to W10.

In the meanwhile, the W10 version released on 29th of July is a glorified Insider Preview version, and there's nothing pejorative saying that.

So let's see where W10 stands when W10M is out (and, along, when most stock apps have been updated with new features and not only "bug fixes and performance improvements").

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The home group does not work.
I also had the permissions problem with files and had to mess with permissions.

I did go and extract my new windows 10 product key, burned a Windows 10 dvd using the windows media kit and did a clean install.

The only real problems now are no home group because it won't create one but thinks it has already been invited to join one which it can't join. :-/

And the Edge browser will hang sometimes.

emma0

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The home group does not work.
I also had the permissions problem with files and had to mess with permissions.

I did go and extract my new windows 10 product key, burned a Windows 10 dvd using the windows media kit and did a clean install.

The only real problems now are no home group because it won't create one but thinks it has already been invited to join one which it can't join. :-/

And the Edge browser will hang sometimes.

i had the homegroup problem before. i just removed everyone from my previous homegroup, created a new one, then populated hg from there.

for edge: edit your host and use this http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that an operating system is so complex these days that it's virtually impossible to release a 100% perfect bug-free version. It will always behave strangely in this or that situation. That said I agree that Windows 10 is not yet ready for the mainstream, however I can also understand why Microsoft had to release it as soon as possible. Let's face it - Windows 8/8.1 was a complete disaster, especially considering the tremendous lack of customer acceptance, and Microsoft had to replace it, the sooner the better. From that point of view it's much better to replace it with Windows 10, that isn't 100% perfect at the time of release and may or may not behave strangely, than have Windows 8.1 lingering around, an operating system that the majority of people simply does not want to use or even poke with a ten foot stick (funnily enough even though I did have it installed on two computers this includes me - I absolutely hate Windows 8/8.1 with every dead and living cell of my body).

Truth be told I've upgraded three devices at this point (Thinkpad X220 from 8.1 to 10, TransformerBook T200TA from 8.1 to 10, and Compaq Presario F730US from 7 to 10) and didn't have any trouble with any of them but I have seen other people around me struggling with it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's why MS has stated very clearly from the start that Windows 10 is ALWAYS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS.

This is what I DONT like about the new Microsoft (and gamers know this very well), they have moved to the model "Just release it and we will fix it with updates", this is EXACTLY what they did with Windows 10. At one time Microsoft was about releasing a product when it was done, as solid as they could do with the limited testing that they did. It did show too.

Windows 10 should of been delayed a few months at least, They had access to MORE information from the Preview program EVER. They could of addressed more bugs and really got a SOLID release.

On DAY 1 release, with a clean install (installed then formatted and reinstalled), Crashing was all over the place, as the OP said files marked as Read only for no reason. Performance is still a questionable thing on it from a lot of gamers.

Microsoft needs to go back to "We will release it when it's ready" and if a delay is needed, THEN DELAY IT...

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 was ready at release on 29th as a core o/s, th2 onward will build much more. In 10 512 release has 2k bugs fixed against 240 build. already on preview builds for insiders.. This post needs closing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes