Laptop gets forced out of sleep??

Appendix125

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
At night I use my laptop, then put it to sleep -- either choosing Sleep option in power off menu, or closing laptop lid. Did this for +2 years in 8.1 without issues.

Now with 10 installed, I notice in the morning when I get up, that the lights on my laptop are all on, and it is warm to the touch. I've verified that when I put the computer down at night, it DOES go to sleep. But by morning, it is back on and out of sleep mode.

What is causing this? How do I fix it?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I also encountered this with my laptop - no problems back in Windows 7.

The quickest solution I've found is to hibernate my laptop instead - of course the downside is that my laptop won't turn on once I open the lid, whereas I would have to press the power button first for it to come back to life... and it's also not as fast as waking up from sleep. But the hibernate option may need to be turned on first in the PC settings before it can be used: Control Panel > Power Options > System Settings > click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable", then scroll down to the bottom of the page and make sure that "Hibernate" is checked.

I "guess" that what Windows 10 did is to mimic how phones behave when the screen is turned off - the phone isn't really "off" or completely shut down, and any notification it receives can simply bring the screen back on, but only for a brief moment. A possible confirmation of this is that I happen to have received a chat through one of my apps both installed on my PC and phone - just after my phone displayed a notification, my PC (with the lid closed after putting it to "sleep") also made a sound and the screen turned on for a few moments. Then again, these are all just preliminary deductions. :wink:

Appendix125

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Update: hibernate doesn't seem to be viable.

I use a USB stick for wireless on my laptop to get access to newer protocols for faster speeds. After coming out of hibernation, the device wont run and have to do a reboot.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
go to device manager, choose the usb wifi and "power management" and uncheck something that says windows can turn it off to save power bla bla, as for the sleep thing, I noticed my laptop did that some weeks ago but cant remember exactly, haven't seen it again, anyway I find it odd that you let it stay sleeping for so long, windows will normally put it into hibernation after 3 hours of sleep anyway, check the energy profile

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I also have this behavior and i think its update related. Windows 10 installs updates by default, if the installation requires a system restart the default behavior is that the device gets restarted at 3AM the same day. I think that this restarts also happen when the laptop sleeps but does not put the device back into sleep.

Last edited:

Appendix125

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
So... the other night I changed some settings in the advanced power details, and my computer stayed in sleep all night all the way through to this morning.

I am at work and not on my personal computer, but the setting was like "allow wake from sleep" and I changed it from ENABLE (default) to DISABLE.

My guess is that this 'wake call' is being sent by some app or program or some timer/schedule, which is what was forcing it out of sleep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes