Windows 10 wants to over clock CPU on standby

Malcome Larcens

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.
I'm hoping someone has an answer for this annoying problem.
I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 a few weeks ago, all went well for the upgrade.
I backed up my data just in case but nothing was lost.
After a couple of weeks using it trouble free, I noticed that once the computer goes into sleep mode something triggers it to try to overclock it.
The first time I noticed it the fan was spinning out of control as if the CPU was overheating. It probably was.
I shut it off and on restart it said that an attempt to overclock the processor had failed.
I had to go in the BIOS and cancel the overclock changes.
It does that every time that it goes on standby, I could keep the computer on all the time but that would use more power needlessly.
So what I do is turn it off after each use, but that's time consuming.
So I hope someone knows how to prevent the system to go automatically into overclock mode.

Thanks in advance.

Malcome Larcens

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Let me guess. You have an AMD Processor and AMD Overdrive is installed on your system? That's a wild guess, but you've given us absolutely no information about your system specs in order to help you diagnose your system.

If that is the case, then the configuration for AMD Overdrive has been messed up, and thus the attempts to overclock. Using this program, it will attempt to set up an overclock during a reboot, and it is incorrectly thinking standby is a start of a reboot. Uninstall AMD Overdrive, and check with AMD to see if they have one compatible with Windows 10.

Now, if that ISN'T the case, please give us your system specifications so we'll know what we're dealing with here. If it's a pre-built machine, give us the brand/model of the system. If custom, then I'd like to know the motherboard, CPU, Graphics processor, and what software do you have installed to manage the clock speed of the system. Overclocking isn't something built into Windows 10 OS. It's a 3rd party solution that is usually provided by a motherboard or chip manufacturer.

Malcome Larcens

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply but it's not AMD processor.

It's Intel Core Due 2, E7500 @ 2.93 GHz 2.94 GHz
Ram 4GB
64 bit x64 based processor
Maker is Onkyo, Japan
I have never before attempted to overclock it.

Thanks again

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It could be so many issues, which is why it's impossible for Microsoft to foresee them all. It could even be a special "energy management driver" installed by the manufacturer that is giving the problem.

My advice is to take it to a shop and have it looked at, as someone needs to put eyes on that. Diagnosing it online would be near impossible, at least for me.

Perhaps someone else will stop by with some advice.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if process explorer runs in windows 10 or not, but you could try to use it to know what is keeping your computer on. Failing that you could head over to tenforum to ask about your problem. At least run the command prompt as an administrator and run sfc /scannow.

Malcome Larcens

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for your help and advice.
I don't know how to explain this but just as this issue started it went away.
A couple of days, I forgot to shut it off after using it, when I came back several hours later it was running fine.
So the issue went away without doing anything.
So that's not very helpful to other users except that it might go away on its own.

Again thanks for your help.

Malcome Larcens

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon