I accidentally found this way to make start screen transparent. Very simple actually

Open task manager, under details tab, end task for dwm.exe (don't worry it will start again)

Now whatever you have on screen will become live wallpaper (or live video ) see through the start screen
    you can actually see what's happening behind start screen as if work flow never left

It also applies for desktop mode with use start full screen turn on

Similar function to an app windows 8 start screen customizer. That app has more option to change the opacity for win 8 (not support for win 10)
    Last edited by wnwnhp; 09-02-2015 at 05:22 AM.
    09-02-2015 04:50 AM
    Welcome to Windows Central.

Nope, this didn't work for me - I just tried it three times.

However, I must mention that my start screen is already translucent - I could see the outlines of contrasting shapes (such as the "Post Quick Reply" button in this screen against the white background of the webpage through my start screen, but I can't actually read the text.

Update: With additional info provided by wnwnhp, this is confirmed to work (at least with my Windows 10 PC) - should have full start screen enabled.
    Last edited by gpobernardo; 09-02-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Updated findings
    wnwnhp likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:25 AM
    Thanks for trying.
    I'm sorry I should be more specific. Under details tab, long press (right click) on dwm.exe, select end task, another message box pop up then select end process. That should do it. Now hit start button (fullscreen of course ) and it should be transparent. I've tested again and it works
    gpobernardo likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:47 AM
    Yup, saw the end task and end process dialogue... but now that you mention (again) that it had to be a full screen start menu, I'd confirm that this method works. This was mentioned in your OP but I somehow missed it.
    wnwnhp likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:46 AM