I think i have a brilliant idea, that can compliment continuum.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
every day at work, i am using my laptop and my phone is right next to it. Every time i get a notification, i have to grab my mobile see what's going on, and place it down. kind distracts my productivity.

Now imagine this.

What if i can control my mobile from my laptops keyboard and touchpad (use them as a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard)? i think this is amazing, i can just press a hot key or what ever, click space to unlock my phone, open lets say WhatsApp, type my message. :)

If you think this is worth the coverage. and you think Microsoft should create a driver that turn your keyboard and mouse to Bluetooth ones.

upvote here:

Windows-Feedback:?contextid=4&feedbackid=02347368-cd71-412c-b457-937be890dfd4&form=1&src=2

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's a simpler idea that doesn't require doing the impossible or improbable.

Universal apps. Universal Whatsapp. Universal eMail, Universal 'whatever app you may want or need'....

Simpler isn't it?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A week? Maybe I'm uncertain about what your proposal is (your link isn't working).

You want to turn your laptop keyboard into a Bluetooth keyboard by using a hotkey to work on your phone? Is that right? Maybe I'm mistaken but I think that's a bit more than just a 'driver' issue.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
A week? Maybe I'm uncertain about what your proposal is (your link isn't working).

You want to turn your laptop keyboard into a Bluetooth keyboard by using a hotkey to work on your phone? Is that right? Maybe I'm mistaken but I think that's a bit more than just a 'driver' issue.

Yeah that's exactly what I am proposing. I am no programmer, but I do not see how difficult it is to implement such feature.

And the link is for the feedback app if you are an insider, it should work, or at least that's what Microsoft suggests.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's exactly what I am proposing. I am no programmer, but I do not see how difficult it is to implement such feature.

And the link is for the feedback app if you are an insider, it should work, or at least that's what Microsoft suggests.

I did a check around to see what existed and the only app that came up that was close to what you're proposing is for an Apple Mac.

The ones I found for Android appear to use some form of WiFi and a web interface which should give some idea of the difficulty of doing this. On top of that we're not even talking about the ability to pick and choose apps.

I think the universal app is the more logical and elegant solution here in my opinion. Not saying your suggestion is a bad one I just don't think it's as simple as it appears.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
agreed, the Universal app solution could greatly push continuum. but i see it as an ideal case, that requires the effort of all developers.

Where as i am suggesting an quick fix/ solution. I see it applicable now. And i do not want to open my personal data/ apps on my work laptop, that's where i see my struggle falls mainly.

But if i have to choose between the two, i would say the Universal app solutions is way more cleaner.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
For me, the most important WP notifications are from WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and e-mail.

When I am using a PC, I use the web version of WhatsApp and Facebook, and Outlook/built-in "Mail" app. So basically I usually don't need to touch my WP when I have a PC with me.

The exception is incoming/outgoing voice call.

The other notifications are not important to me, e.g. app updates, which I have no immediate need to deal with them.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
For me, the most important WP notifications are from WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and e-mail.

When I am using a PC, I use the web version of WhatsApp and Facebook, and Outlook/built-in "Mail" app. So basically I usually don't need to touch my WP when I have a PC with me.

The exception is incoming/outgoing voice call.

The other notifications are not important to me, e.g. app updates, which I have no immediate need to deal with them.

I guess that's a matter how you use your phone.

I try as much as i can to avoid to use my work laptop as a personal laptop...

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Not exactly what you are asking for, but the new universal skype app is going to create SMS synergy across phone and PC. Much in the same way imessage works on IOS and the mac (I think this is a fair comparison, considering apple just ripped on the Surface Pro design)

I don't think it is necessary to have direct control of the phone via your hardware, but I support the continuation of cloud synergies between the devices.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
yeah, but i still think the need i want to address is a little bit different than what has been suggested.

while i do agree than the universal app/ cloud solutions is great, but sometimes, you just want to leave your personal life away from your professional apps.

I actually think that any developer could create a exe program that foes this... i do not think it is a very difficult thing to implement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes