Controlling where an application is displayed using multiple monitors?

MkWalter

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Controlling where an application is displayed using multiple monitors.

I am running Widows 10 Pro, 64-bit with 3 monitors using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti graphics card and have an Intel 7i-4930K CPU with 32 gig of RAM. For the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties I have it configured so that it shows all taskbars on all displays.

The behavior that currently exists is that if I launch an application from any monitor it opens on the one it was last open on. For example, if I have Notepad open on monitor 3, close it, launch the application from monitor 1 it actually opens on monitor 3.

The behavior I would like is for the application to open on the monitor I launch it from. For example, if I have Notepad open on monitor 3, close it, launch the application on monitor 1 it is displayed on monitor 1. It would be wonderful if I could launch Notepad on monitor 1 and have it display there, launch Notepad on monitor 2 and have it display there and finally launch Notepad on monitor 3 and have it display there.

Is this possible and/or a setting I just am not aware of in Windows 10? Granted, Notepad is not the most exciting application but it was just an example. :)
Thanks in advance!

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Controlling where an application is displayed using multiple monitors.

well the only official way it's the one you say, closing the app in the screen you want to open it next time. that would really be the plain Windows 10 way.
there are actually few apps that really care about this, like BlackMagic Design Fusion 8 Beta has a cool feature that fusion 7 didn't have. It will open the program in the screen where your mouse is. really nice thing that I found out yesterday.

Of course there are some 3rd party apps that can do some tricks. but only I found a good paid solution
Actual Window Manager: Multiple Monitors, Virtual Desktops, Windows Control and Other Useful Tools.

maybe some other multi display management programs can do the job, a quick bing search told me that
but you can also see if http://alternativeto.net/software/actual-window-manager/ brings something similar

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Controlling where an application is displayed using multiple monitors.

nope, no official solution only some possible 3rd party apps as already said, other than that you can open a suggestion at uservoice and hope for the best, I only have 2 monitors + tv and even then its been annoying for example when someone sends a pic on skype which is on screen 2 it opens in screen 1, let me know if you need 3 votes :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb