Did anyone else loose all their Edge Favorites after the fall update?

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Like the title states, did anyone else loose all their Edge Favorites after the fall update? I can import whatever I had from IE but the newly created ones in edge for the past few months are no longer there.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what happened there, as I have been unable to do the update as of yet. I am under the understanding that this new version is supposed to finally allow syncing of Edge bookmarks between devices, so perhaps it reached out to the cloud for the bookmark sync and it wasn't there? Sounds like an issue, somehow. I'll be subscribing to this topic to keep a watch on it, as I am interested in what happens here as well.

NiteCourt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I lost all mine also. Then I when to import both IE and Chrome and it got stuck in a loop. The favorites bar had favorites on it but kept flashing for 10 minutes. I exited edge, started it back up, and all the favorites were gone again.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I only use Edge on the phone but checked the PCs and favorites from an old IE import (from Surfaces) and new ones added on the phone are also on the PC, reading lists new and old too, from today.

Davdarkelf

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I lost all my favourites.

However they are still all on my PC. The previous version of Edge stores them in

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites\Links

These were all in subfolders and I also had the Favourites Bar displayed.

I can't find where the new Favourites are stored but it has moved. At least I can open these again and re-favourite them.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I read that others were experiencing this same issues on another site. Edge favorites are either gone all together, or out of order and missing some sites.I really don't understand why it just doesn't share the C:\Users\<USER>\Favorites path with Internet Explorer.

lagunasrfr

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Haven't lost them because they are available in Edge browser.

There are no files found in C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default
where the favorites for Microsoft Edge should be. I have "Hidden Files" turned "on" in "View" in File Explorer.
I cannot find them using the utility program "Everything" which lists all files on the computer and offers filters for searches.

I can see all the favorites in the Star tab in the Hamburger menu in the upper right side of Edge.

I deleted all of the favorites from Edge, thinking they might be in OneDrive - although I could not find them in my OneDrive web page either.

Then I disconnected from the internet and imported all of the Internet Explorer's favorites from c:\Users\{username}\Favorites . They all went into Edge.

I then looked in C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default and, again, no files found.

I changed a file name in my IE Favorites folder, but no change was made to Edge's Favorites. Also, that change was not put into the C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default folder.

Reconnected to Internet and everything remained OK regarding using Edge favorites.

Still can't find the Edge favorites files in my computer. The only thing I can figure is either:

1. MS is now putting the files somewhere else in encrypted file(s) where the favorites cannot be found in a search.

or

2. There is a "Super Hidden File" setting that MS used in the update and it is a bug or they intend to leave it that way - regarding C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

If anyone has an answer please let me know.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine seem to be there, but they are in a different, mixed-up order.

Anyone miss right-clicking and "sorting by name" to put them all alphabetically? I sure do!

lagunasrfr

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Found the Edge favorites in Fall update 10586 they are here: C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\Us er\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\Spartan.edb.

They are there on both of my computers.

The update left the favorites from the prior version in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\Us er\Default\Favorites in one of my computers. The other computer had no favorites at the time of the fall update (I had gone through a reinstall of Edge just before I updated and there were no favorites.

So this solves the mystery of where they are stored.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes