Edge Sync your Content grayed out! How can I fix this?

STsalki

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Edge "Sync your Content" greyed out!!!

Following the November Update, I was expecting the favorites to sync across my 3 pcs! They don't! What I noticed in one of them is that in Edge Settings under "Sync your content" the switch is set to off and an instruction and link to set on the Windows Sync Settings (!!!) - something I have already done!
Please help!

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Edge "Sync your Content" greyed out!!!

So, there's a link to open the Windows Syncing in the Edge settings. Click the link.

Switch off and switch on Syncing.

Restart Edge and switch on Edge syncing.

Gibraltar75

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

The same is happening to me on one of the 2 computers I've updated.
HAve tried to disable and reenable sync options on Windows Settings (also with a reboot in between) but the sync setting in Edge continues unavailable in grey.

Any ideas?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

What if you go to REGEDIT
go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main

search for or add it
SyncSettings
and manually put the obvious 1 as the value data.

Gibraltar75

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Hi _Emi_

I'm lost. On the computer where Edge sync is on and apparently working, I don't have the key you mentioned. On the computer where Edge sync is unavailable to select, I have the SyncSettings key you mentioned. The value was 0, I changed it to 1, started Edge but the option remained unavailable to select. I looked at the registry and the SyncSettings key had return to 0. I also tried deleting the key but upon starting Edge the sync option is still grey and the registry key gets recreated.

So... any more ideas?

thanks.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Hi _Emi_

I'm lost. On the computer where Edge sync is on and apparently working, I don't have the key you mentioned. On the computer where Edge sync is unavailable to select, I have the SyncSettings key you mentioned. The value was 0, I changed it to 1, started Edge but the option remained unavailable to select. I looked at the registry and the SyncSettings key had return to 0. I also tried deleting the key but upon starting Edge the sync option is still grey and the registry key gets recreated.

So... any more ideas?

thanks.

I don't know, can't think of anything new. I mean, the only thing I saw that made my favorites button gray out was to go to Settings, accounts, sync your settings... and if you turn it off it wouldn't let you sync Edge anymore. although it would tell you it was disabled.
So you might want to test go there, close Edge, disable the sync, open Edge, then close it again and Enable it.

if not you might want to reinstall Edge and see if that works, you know, by removing all the packages user local folder... so you start from zero, but of course your favorites and all would be gone, I didn't have a problem doing that since I rarely add favorites, but now Edge uses a different method to sync settings, so it won't have a ".url" file like C:\users\xxx\favorites.

Maybe your account needs to be trusted?

I don't know what can cause this, but there are few things to do but as you see, some are destructive like reinstalling Edge and make it work like it wasn't there before.

makol

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site

Hi _Emi_

So... any more ideas?

thanks.

EXACTLY the same here!
On both surface an desktop..

Extra hint: No need to relaunch Edge to see the Syncsettings key go back to zero.
Just open the registry, change it to 1 and close.
Then re open it, and it's 0 again..

lfom

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Close Edge, then go to Registry and delete the key SyncPolicy, as described here:
h tt p :// answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_internet-insider_spartan/favorites-not-syncing-build-10565/359f9428-e485-4b4d-b127-292f18423a34

Worked for me.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Just to make it shorter and to the point without clicking on the link (it would have been just easy to say which part of registry people had to go to)
you need to go HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync
and SyncPolicy key should be on 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes