Isn't continuum hypocritical?

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
If all windows 10 apps are supposed to be super streamlined to sync beautifully between PC and Phone, why is MS pushing something that connects our phone to our PC? Shouldn't we just be able to walk up to our PCs, log in, and pick up where we left off?

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is supposed to connect your phone to a "monitor/projector", not computer.
You can still walk up to your computer and continue working on a document that you were working on and is in OneDrive, but that's a whole different thing.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The point is being able to work "as if at a PC" without having to have a PC with you. In a hotel room or shared conference area for example.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Personally, what I find to be hypocritical about it is all the interest in Continuum from some of the same people that bashed the more fully featured and more powerful Windows RT operating system, but that's an entirely different story.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Continuum is irelevant if you can afford even the most basic PC. If you can, you'll use continuum once a year, if even then. So, I don't understand all the hype about it, and the big push MS is doing.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not about affording anything. You can have the sweetest PC setup in the world at home and at work. Continuum is about having a "PC" with you wherever you are without having to actually have a PC with you. This isn't about using Continuum at home as your primary PC, although it could in reality function in that way.

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It seems to be about having a PC wherever you are as long as you brought a mouse and keyboard with you and also have access to a TV with proper inputs. I am pretty sure most people who have a smartphone will also have a laptop or tablet in 2015. I think MS just needed an idea to push windows10 mobile and went with this, for whatever reason..

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
We are rapidly progressing towards the time when you can pack virtually all of a computer's capabilities into a device the size of a phone. Combined with the fact that the one device you carry around almost all the time is a phone. It is unquestionably the next inevitable evolution of computing. I am glad MS is trying to lead the way in this. Good luck MS. Don't F%CK it up! (As to what exactly it should look like and how it should function, well that is still obviously unknown)

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems to be about having a PC wherever you are as long as you brought a mouse and keyboard with you and also have access to a TV with proper inputs. I am pretty sure most people who have a smartphone will also have a laptop or tablet in 2015. I think MS just needed an idea to push windows10 mobile and went with this, for whatever reason..

You actually don't need a keyboard and mouse - the phone's touchscreen can be used as keyboard/mouse.
TV with inputs - interestingly most new "smart TV" that you can buy now comes build in with a Miracast reciever, ergo this is because a lot of the TV makers (Samsung, LG, Sony etc) also happens to be smartphone makers and they want to copy Apple's much praised "magic" of Airplay thus the inclusion of Miracast as standard TV equipment. As Miracast is an industry standard so eventually having the right input shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Finally Continuum is one of those "the best camera is the camera you always have with you" things - sure anyone can buy a good mirrorless or DSLR that would blow your phone camera away in terms of features such as controls, lens selection etc, but then people now vastly prefer to shoot photos on their phone because of the convenience of it, not because they are looking for the "best tool for the job". Continuum is going to be that analogy for the smartphone/PC/laptop thing for a lot of the not so technical people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon