What Security do I need for Windows 10? (Home Office dedicated box)

uMinded

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I have not used Windows since the whole Blaster32 fiasco back on XP but recently require switching back for work applications.

As this machine will be home office centered I won't be browsing the corners of the internet but will be streaming shows and finding utilities such as virtual audio and serial cables and last time I went to a site like softpedia is was an advertising nightmare.

What do I need to know to keep my system running smoothly? Are there any guides out there? Also any recommended free security solutions like sandboxed browsers?

My current system I run Chrome, https everywhere, addblocker, disconnect and that filters 99% of the internet's junk but I do not know if the Chrome sandbox will protect the rest of the system. I am also open to running a in-line proxy to actively block/allow ports and cleanse content remotely as back in the XP days everything seemed to be RPC exploits and even BlackIce wouldn't block kernel level exploits and you had to stop them from even entering the network broadcast.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Learning Windows Security

Other then what you use currently I would just add a decent antivirus and call it a day. Times have certainly changed.

There are other things you can do like disk encryption for physical security, other doohickey's, but otherwise you will be fine for the most part.

make sure things are up-to-date too

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate area...

Windows 10 How-To Guides is for write ups of prepackaged solutions... Not for leading questions on issues not yet resolved.

Retitled for clarity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon