Does the Windows Insider Program remove carrier locks?

llkashll

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Question for anyone who's been able to try it (unfortunately... or perhaps fortunately all my phones are carrier unlocked).

I'd assume that upgrading from Win 8.1 -> Win 10 would preserve any carrier locks, but assuming locks are enforced at the OS level, a revert from Win 10 -> Win 8.1 should wipe any carrier specific information (since the revert process uses a stock build and doesn't retain any configuration).

Anyone given it a shot? Has it worked? Apologies if this has already been asked, I could only find information from the Lumia 920 days prior to the insider program and recovery tool.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
my 920 and a friend's 1520, both at&t variants, have remained unlocked after upgrading (or using the restore tool)

Going insider will not automatically unlock you phone, but if you unlocked it already, going insider should not change that fact at all.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd assume that upgrading from Win 8.1 -> Win 10 would preserve any carrier locks, but assuming locks are enforced at the OS level, a revert from Win 10 -> Win 8.1 should wipe any carrier specific information (since the revert process uses a stock build and doesn't retain any configuration).

The WDRT process downloads an image that is specific for your phone. So it comes with all the carrier bloatware, if any, and all. I have a 640 that was carrier locked on WP8.1, carrier locked when upgraded to W10M, still carrier locked when restored to WP8.1. I got the unlock code from T-Mobile and now it is unlocked with either WP8.1 or W10M. I think the carrier locking is maintained in the hardware, not in the OS/firmware.

llkashll

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys, really much appreciated, just saved me a couple of hundred picking up a phone and being disappointed after it didn't work. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and a good new year coming up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon