Can't activate "Find My Device" because laptop won't update (I think)

PaulQ

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have two Windows 10 laptops. One updated to whatever version that added the "Find My Device" option in "Updates & Security." The other doesn't seem to be able to update to that version. Of course, the laptop that got it is one that stays at home and the one where it would be useful because I travel with it, it's not updating.

I am just assuming the cause is that it's not updating Windows 10 to the version that activates "Find My Device."

Can anyone advise me on this? Thanks!

PaulQ

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I found the build number using the "winver" command. I have build # 10240.

I just installed some updates but the "Find my Device" isn't listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I found the build number using the "winver" command. I have build # 10240.

I just installed some updates but the "Find my Device" isn't listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

We have all moved on to Windows 10 Version 1511 Build 10586.63. Probably you have to update to newer build.

PaulQ

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED.

After a researching on the web based on the fact I learned here about the build number, I finally found a way to do a forced update. Apparently, there is an issue where you can get stuck on an earlier build.

Apparently I can't post links. So, I'll say it's a MakeUseOf article titled: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1511 Now

Search that if you are having this problem and it has instructions on how to do the install.

It took about 30 minutes. You're basically going through the whole Windows 10 install process again. It worked. Now I have the "Find My Device" function.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon