Best Browser for Windows 10?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: My New Favourite Browser

why does Microsoft not change it and make the browser working perfect - how long time can it take. What are the waiting for.

Good question!
Many have asked this about many other offerings from Microsoft.
We as a group remain confused :/

FurY2007

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I have no issues using Edge ever since I edited the hosts file, it has been blazing fast ever since.
I do miss a better printer control from Edge and the touch features that we had previously in W8.1, but other than that I have no need for another browser as my daily driver. I do use Firefox as it enables me to use the downloadhelper extension, so I guess I am just waiting for Edge to be able to use extensions now :)

Chingalingz

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Edge is just another typical Microsoft app. They say it does all these wonderful things but it doesn't. One of the features that you could stream video to your TV, is, well, yeah. Even trying to stream Youtube to my tv is a waste of time. Edge sits there on my task bar and hardly gets opened. When I do open it, it's usually by accident and is closed shortly after. Goodluck MS, you still don't seem to understand that it's all about the user experience. I use Chrome and that's that.

paraesthetic

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Its obviously not a very creative team. This is what happens when you have programmers leading programmers, you get a bland mellow experience. If you want a Ferrari experience hire UX people to lead the team.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Just one question. Since Edge doesn't have add ons and plugins, which were you really using that much in Chrome that you now miss?

All i use is the ad blocker and that's basically it, the rest was just junk.

WinCoffee

Banned
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

Edge in Phone is awesome! Edge in PC... well it is slow... sometimes scrolling is glitchy + no plugins.
I might start using it when they fix these, for now on I'll just go with Google Chrome.

WinCoffee

Banned
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

Just one question. Since Edge doesn't have add ons and plugins, which were you really using that much in Chrome that you now miss?

All i use is the ad blocker and that's basically it, the rest was just junk.

Same for me. Adblock plus. no other plugins. but Adblock is really important since it really makes web browsing faster, no annoying adds! ^^

unuzerounu

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

I have edited the hosts file so the ads are gone, which makes for a great Edge experience.

However, the single reason why I stopped using Edge is this: I can't drag a tab out of the browser window, on the top edge of a second monitor to make it fullscreen all in one drag. I have to drag it out, drop it, then drag it again to the top edge of the second monitor. Pain in the behind!

To be fair, the way Edge handles tabs is just painful. I should be able to drag an inactive tab right out of the window. but nooo, I have to select it first. Then drag. Why?

So I use Opera.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I just want Edge to give me the option to open a folder of websites I create all at the same time. Firefox allows me to do this and it saves me a lot of time at work. When Edge lets me do this I may switch, otherwise opening each website, one at a time, can be tedious.

Hermes Negruzzi

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

When W10 was released, Edge was a total joke and I was totally sure that Microsoft would have been able to fix its extremely annoying performance, UI and functionality issues, at least those that made the whole browsing experience chaotic by Threshold 2 and here we are, Edge continuing to be a joke, especially on W10M where it's the worst browsing experience I've had in the past 5 years.
I've stopped being optimistic, so I'm betting $10 that Edge will deliver a fully functional and pleasant experience for desktop, tablet (totally missing) and mobile only by Redstone 2.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I am with you, I gave up. A single youtube tab bring the CPU usage to 40%, no save to, NBA LP stream run like 80's arcade pixel, memory killer and so on.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

I really want to like Edge, but on top of the obvious lack of plugins I have had issues with performance. My browser of choice right now is Google Chrome, but if Edge improves going forward I'd be happy to adopt it as my primary browser.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Chrome has the "go forward/backward" feature with touch. So +1 for Google Chrome. Youtube doesn't work well with some areas of the page on Edge (tricky with chrome) +0.5 to Chrome. I think Chrome handles touch better than Edge.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I gave you an honest try for over 6 months. I used you as my daily browser for that whole time, imported all my favourites etc. I made the decision about a week ago to stop using Edge forever (at least until it significantly improves). The basic functionality of browsing web pages has shunted me away with violent force. I will pick 5 basic web sites i use on a daily basis. 1 Windows Central. Awful. Pages take forever to load, scrolling is slow and jittery, pages dont load at all sometimes, replying to threads is a serious chore with key strokes being missed every other letter, and the mobile version, even worse. 2. AmericanWX.com/bb. (American Weather forums). Terrible. Pages take forever to load, replying to posts again misses keystrokes all the time, hitting the back button on the keyboard causes the entire page to go backwards and lose all my work, etc, etc. 3/4. Twitter/Facebook. Links die on twitter until you refresh the page, huge lag problems when tweeting or replying to posts, page hangs or freezes while loading etc.. 5. Trancefix.nl (forums) Same problems as previous forum pages as mentioned in 1 and 2.

I just tested those sites on Edge with no problem at all, in fact I use a lot BB forums, I visit WindowsCentral on a diary basis so I have never had problems with it, not even forums, Twitter, I always use it, but Facebook I don't even have a Facebook account.

Maybe the best advice for you would come from Tim Cook/Apple (You're using it wrong!) XD.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

I just tested those sites on Edge with no problem at all, in fact I use a lot BB forums, I visit WindowsCentral on a diary basis so I have never had problems with it, not even forums, Twitter, I always use it, but Facebook I don't even have a Facebook account.

Maybe the best advice for you would come from Tim Cook/Apple (You're using it wrong!) XD.

Ok i started to believe you until you said you visit WC on a daily basis and never had a problem with it? Really? I don't think so...not without any alterations at least like Jazmac provided. WC is downright UNUSABLE on Edge without altering it in some way. It's literally slower than dial up with a 266 mHz processor with 128mb of RAM, and I'm not exaggerating. Look around. Look here on all the threads about how slow and terrible this site works with Edge, I'm def not making this up. And Americanweather.com/bb is ALMOST equally as bad on the forums anyways. Typing replies is near impossible and don't make a mistake because if you hit the "back" button on your keyboard to delete a keystroke, the whole page goes backwards deleting all your work! This made me HATE HATE HATE Edge. For me Edge has more stigma and more utter "insert any negative adjective here" than IE did for a lot of people. I can't stand it.

///takes breath///

Ok..I'm still on Chrome.

Can i uninstall Edge from Windows 10 btw? I never tried but i have a feeling i won't be able to.

Last edited:

Akuaku

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

My dear, the major problem is not in laptop or desktop browsers. In these products, you have ample of options. My greatest headache is in windowsphone browser. I have downloaded virsually all the browsers in the store to see if I could derive some joy but to no avail. As a strong Nokia/Microsoft fan - who has never tested any other brand of phone - I find it very reluctant to think of switching over to an android phone. But without sound browser, I realy doubt how long I can keep my faith alive.
I think it is high time Microsoft should really do something...

AbstractKiller

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I've been using Edge as my primary driver for circa six months, with minimal issues.

Strangely the issues I have seemingly ALL relate to Microsoft-owned or -related content websites - the most shameful being the Microsoft Store, but special mention is to Windows Central as the site is truly terrible on Edge across a plethora of builds and devices (Two SP3s - Insider and Public, Desktop and Lumia 920/735 across insider builds).... pretty please WC - drop Flash ad providers (seems to be Flash related).

The browser seems incredibly responsive in a SBS comparison with Chrome and Firefox - both in terms of page load times, but also launching the browser itself. Yes, it doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" these mature browsers have, but it also doesn't have the bloat.

Personally, I'm not after much in the way of plugins - and, when I have a specific need, I have an alternative browser (note: and the choice to use one) for that task - typically web-development tools for me and for this I utilise Firefox and have all my relevant form data stored in that browser to keep it separate from my usual browsing (80:20 rule applies as always).

Chrome left my list of preferred browsers after the CPU usage flaw has still (? to my knowledge ?) not been fixed. Anyone using a tablet or laptop should be aware of this issue as it kills battery life and can't be good for the processor... I'm sure one of the security companies (i.e. Symantec, Avast, AVG) had even listed it as dangerous at one point. Further, Chrome seems to consume memory like it's going out of fashion.

For everyday browsing, I find Edge to be smooth (ahem! that includes scrolling, *hint hint* Google!), quick, lightweight and reliable. If (and to be honest - when) I encounter an issue I simply revert back to Firefox or Chrome.

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

It seems that some people think that programming is a kind of magic and software is supposed to be perfect and completely feature packed from day one. Edge is about 7 months old. Do you even remember how chrome was 7 months in? It was garbage.

Now I'm not saying that edge is exactly good; it's not. I don't use it either, outside of a VM, which applies to windows 10 too.

Writing comments like "I HATE edge. I hate it, will not use it ever and am permanently switching to chrome, whatever" , etc. is utterly childish.

One thing that I mostly do agree on is that MS should not have made it the default browser from the get go and should have kept IE11 as default, or at least made it more visible.

What I do not agree with is jumping to conclusions. I'd give edge a year or two, maybe even three. If it's still not good by then, then we could assume that the development team didn't do enough.

Also, for some reason, almost everyone is blaming only the browser for bad results. Do you know that there are a lot of web developers who do not even care for web standards and simply design their websites to be, first and foremost, webkit/chrome compatible? A lot of them do not even care if their websites do not load and render properly on other browsers, specially MS ones.

The web isn't as black and white as you think.

Hermitprojects

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

Edge is a new browser. It needs time to grow. Even as I speak, I'm using edge right now. And yes, The getters are real! Even Typing here is a pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon