GPU load: OS or games issue?

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi there!

Many of us have been noticed low scores in GFXBech and lower FPS in games compared to relative Android devices with the same SOC. On my Lumia 950 I've managed to do some tests and see how much various apps can utilize CPU and GPU. The results are:
  • CPU: Maximum usage depends on app's multicore support.
  • GPU: Maximum GPU usage I've ever got through the tests is 12.5%... OMG, just 12.5%!!!
So, here is the question: Does this low GPU usage is an OS limitation or apps issue? Or both?

Last edited:

justonlumia

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Candy crush used to be slow on my L640( WP8 ) but after a few game updates around the time when they started releasing soda saga for WP the game started being smooth. I think games are not optimized well with a lot of ports and a majority wont be as there is no point investing resources for a tiny market share from business point of view.

Universal apps might be even more harder to optimize

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've tried about 10 game tiles (including Asphalt 8, Halo and other most popular graphics demanding games) and 5 benchmarks - all of them can utilize cpu normally, but GPU never showed load higher than 12.5%. I think, it's more about OS, not the app optimizations... Or both :D

valuxin

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hm... Windows Device Hub shows 8 available GPU engines. I've done some tests on my Lumia 822 and Lumia 950. The next table shows Engine usage in general cases:
GPU engines.png

Camera idle: Engine 0 reacts only for UI using
Video Recording: Engine 3 use to encode video
Video Play: Engine 3 use to decode video

Surfing through the menus and start screen can load Engine 0 up to 100%. In my tests, games use the same engine as UI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett