Anyone updated 830 to WM10 thru Insider (Slow/Fast) ?

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone updated their Lumia 830 device to Windows 10 Mobile through the Windows Insider programme (Slow or Fast)

If so, could you please tell me the stability, known bugs, performance, pros and cons, etc.

I'd like to update my device aswell.

Thank you in advance..

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I did long time ago. I'm on 10.0.10586 36.
I find my phone to be good on that.
Bugs: Don't have any as I don't use any apps beside phone, txt, email, clock and alarm, Cortana.
When loading some website I find it a bit slow to render using edge browser.
I don't think I will update the os from .36

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I did long time ago. I'm on 10.0.10586 36.
I find my phone to be good on that.
Bugs: Don't have any as I don't use any apps beside phone, txt, email, clock and alarm, Cortana.
When loading some website I find it a bit slow to render using edge browser.
I don't think I will update the os from .36

Wouldn't updating to a newer update improve the performance as they would fix the remaining bugs?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone updated their Lumia 830 device to Windows 10 Mobile through the Windows Insider programme (Slow or Fast)

If so, could you please tell me the stability, known bugs, performance, pros and cons, etc.

I'd like to update my device aswell.

Thank you in advance..

Yes. My Lumia 830 is on the latest .107 build. I had joined the Insider program for mobile back in November and since then I have never had to hard reset my phone except once that too not because of any recurring errors or crashes. Just simply, for no reason. Its very snappy and responsive. The problem, if any, lies with the apps, like Edge and Store. Edge often goes haywire resulting in malfunctioning webpages and sudden crashes. Sometimes even the keyboard crashes while in Edge. And the Store experiences frequent errors while installing/updating apps. Sometimes the updates don't show up unless you go to the app's page you know has an update.

Otherwise, it's more stable than it was ever before. And btw, I risked installing W10M on my primary phone, a decision I never regretted :smile:

If you are too curious to try it out, then it's a go ahead from me. Some might warn you to still not risk installing it on your primary phone but you see there are even reports that the OS's roll out has begun in Mid East and that build is even older than the current insider build on both the slow and fast rings. So, the probability of bricking your phone is ~0.01% in case the process is interrupted.

Last edited:

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes. My Lumia 830 is on the latest .107 build. I had joined the Insider program for mobile back in November and since then I have never had to hard reset my phone except once that too not because of any recurring errors or crashes. Just simply, for no reason. Its very snappy and responsive. The problem, if any, lies with the apps, like Edge and Store. Edge often goes haywire resulting in malfunctioning webpages and sudden crashes. Sometimes even the keyboard crashes while in Edge. And the Store experiences frequent errors while installing/updating apps. Sometimes the updates don't show up unless you go to the app's page you know has an update.

Otherwise, it's more stable than it was ever before. And btw, I risked installing W10M on my primary phone, a decision I never regretted :smile:

If you are too curious to try it out, then it's a go ahead from me. Some might warn you to still not risk installing it on your primary phone but you see there are even reports that the OS's roll out has begun in Mid East and that build is even older than the current insider build on both the slow and fast rings. So, the probability of bricking your phone is ~0.01% in case the process is interrupted.

Thank you so much for your in-depth reply. I really appreciate it. And yes, I want to use it on my primary device too.

Just want to also know, in the even of the phone getting bricked? How do I un-brick or reset it?
And .107 build is through Fast or Slow ring?

Thanks again. :)

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for your in-depth reply. I really appreciate it. And yes, I want to use it on my primary device too.

Just want to also know, in the even of the phone getting bricked? How do I un-brick or reset it?
And .107 build is through Fast or Slow ring?

Thanks again. :)

In case your phone gets bricked then you'll need to download the Windows Device Recovery Tool. Get it from this page:- https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...singleTopic%26topic%3DFA142987&token=wQ4m6PiO

When you first connect your phone to your PC via USB, the tool might most probably not recognize your phone. But it gives you the option to choose a phone yourself. After you select your phone from the provided list, the tool will search for the latest firmware available for your phone. If W10M is officially out then it'll give you that else it'll give you the latest WP8.1. It'll be a ~1.3-1.5 GB download. It'll take a bit of time. After downloading it'll ask for your confirmation and will start flashing your phone.

I recommend you to backup your apps and settings to cloud from Settings>Update and security>backup>more options. Also remove your SD card prior to flashing and copy all your documents and media files to your PC from your phone's internal storage. Make sure your phone is charged to at least 50%. Don't interrupt the process at any cost. After flashing is over, you may opt into the Insider program once again and upgrade to W10M.

But most probably, your phone won't get bricked while upgrading to W10M. Anyways, you asked so I answered. The latest build 10586.107 is available on both the Slow and Fast rings.

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
In case your phone gets bricked then you'll need to download the Windows Device Recovery Tool. Get it from this page:- FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - India

When you first connect your phone to your PC via USB, the tool might most probably not recognize your phone. But it gives you the option to choose a phone yourself. After you select your phone from the provided list, the tool will search for the latest firmware available for your phone. If W10M is officially out then it'll give you that else it'll give you the latest WP8.1. It'll be a ~1.3-1.5 GB download. It'll take a bit of time. After downloading it'll ask for your confirmation and will start flashing your phone.

I recommend you to backup your apps and settings to cloud from Settings>Update and security>backup>more options. Also remove your SD card prior to flashing and copy all your documents and media files to your PC from your phone's internal storage. Make sure your phone is charged to at least 50%. Don't interrupt the process at any cost. After flashing is over, you may opt into the Insider program once again and upgrade to W10M.

But most probably, your phone won't get bricked while upgrading to W10M. Anyways, you asked so I answered. The latest build 10586.107 is available on both the Slow and Fast rings.

Awesome. Once again, much appreciated for your detailed explanation. I understand the process very clearly now. Thank you! :)

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 830 back when the build number was 10586.36, if I'm not mistaken. I'm a fairly new user of W10M, been using it for a bit more than a month. Currently rocking the .107 build, and I enrolled in the Fast Ring Insider.

I rarely experience app crashes, though it does happen once in a while, like how it was back in WP8.1. The crashes affects both WP8.1 apps as well as W10M apps.

The only advice I can give you is this: HARD RESET AFTER UPDATE, NO RESTORING FROM BACK UP.

This will solve 99% of the bugginess in W10M. Honestly speaking, I haven't found any bugs throughout my usage. Battery life is on par, if not better than it was in WP8.1.

Performance is generally much better than WP8.1, but in regards to apps, those apps that are meant for WP8.1 like the Windows Central app, 6tag, etc. will have some performance issue like taking longer to launch and resume from background, and it crashes more often than the apps built for W10M (though as I said earlier, crashes rarely occurs. But 80% of the crashes I experienced are from WP8.1 apps).

All in all, it's been a smooth sail for me. Just remember my advice, and you'll be alright.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard