Why does the "Tile" interface not rotate?

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I know this is probably a silly question, but here goes :)

Of ALL the ways to present a user interface that WAS designed to rotate and looks correct in Landscape mode, it MUST be the Windows Tile interface.
You have a screen full of squares and some rectangles, some of which animate.
Of all the UI's on a mobile device, this HAS to be the one more suitable to rotating itself around into landscape mode.
So you can jump out a landscape app, and the tiles are all rotated also.

Of course, you as a user would drag them around for you preferred landscape layout, the phone would simply remember the position of the tiles when it flipped the main UI screen between portrait and landscape.

Am I crazy for even thinking this?

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Not crazy, but I've never seen a need to use the start screen in landscape mode, apps then yes but not the start.

I guess if it was docked in landscape then I can see the advantage though.

Well, like you are watching a video in landscape mode, which of course it what a video is suited for, or looking at pics, and you want to change to something else that may be in landscape, you call up the homescreen, oh, its all the wrong way round, turn your phone up to portrait, launch the app, then turn it back to landscape again.

Just thought it may be nice, if the UI homescreen would present itself to you in landscape mode in that instance.
As I say, given it's just tiles, it would seem not THAT astonishingly difficult to come up with a way of this working.

That's all :)

Being totally new to windows phone myself, I did almost expect it to rotate. I did try to see if it would, but it doesn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans