Things missing vs other platforms that keeps me from coming back

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Exactly! You're just like me. I use my phone for work. I need my client/teammates apps and services to be available in my phone. I don't want to have to keep saying "Oh I'm sorry I'm on a Windows Phone we'll have to find another way to go".
I'm in the same camp. My company uses GuideBook for meetings. While everyone is posting pictures and voting in GuideBook, I have to use the mobile version. Hundreds of coworkers keep asking, why aren't you voting. "Well, I have a Windows phone..."

Also there is no app for:
LA Fitness
Strava
Chase Bank
Bank of America (yet)
Southwest Airlines
American Airlines
SportNgin (team sports organizational app)
TeamAp (other popular team app)

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I guess you must not use any apps that would be great with an update. Keeping the app up to date is the same thing as actually updating the app. An example is what Twitter added with Moments. In time, updates came out with Android, and iOS. That was a new feature so it was added.

Also, if there's an issue of crashing or having things break in the app, why would I not want an update? A book app I use everyday crashes on Windows Phone. It also fails to sync with other devices. On iOS, the same app was updated 2 times in the same month, to address issues with saving information. As far as I am concerned, updates are good.

I can agree that sometimes updates aren't as needed, but it's a LOT better to have a choice over not having one at all. The Waze app that everyone seems to talk about, used to be updated. Now that it isn't, I hear so many varied reports but only for the WM/WP version.

I don't have any major issues with my apps, they work for me and perform the tasks I expect them to. The updates that I have seen so far have not changed my experience whatsoever. Again, minor little tweaks here and there are hardly ever noticed and most are for slight improvements in efficiency under the hood.

I knew someone would jump my case and go overboard. I never said updates were not needed. If something is broken then it should be fixed. If a new feature is added to the service then update the app to include that. I said that. I also feel that apps should have a level of quality when released to the public as an official/stable version and when they are constantly updated after that release it shows the contrary. It looks sloppy and careless. That's all I was saying. It's just my opinion and I don't expect others to agree.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get this obsession with regular updates. Is it a thrill for the younger generations to see that notification? There's a huge difference between an app that needs attention and one that gets updated constantly. Not all updates are good - signifies that there were a lot of loose ends that needed to be addressed before being released. Keeping the app up to date (new features) is another issue all together.

Anyway... Facebook is working on an official universal app for Windows 10 - currently in closed beta. I would suspect that this app would be maintained with current features (they've already added the new mood options from what I've seen posted) and should be more on par with the other OS versions.

I feel that Twitter on Windows 10 needs a universal app to bring both mobile and desktop apps on the same page.

Instagram recently ported their iOS app over to Windows 10 and is currently available while in beta.

As Windows 10 gains momentum you will see more development for the OS. Developers will hopefully take advantage of the universal aspect and make these apps available on mobile as well. I believe that you will see more and more major companies and developers making apps for Windows 10 in the very near future.

When I talk about updates, I'm talking about apps that are not equal to their iOS/Android counterparts. For example, when a new feature arrives on Facebook that isn't added to the FB apps months later, that becomes a problem if you need or even just enjoy the feature.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
When I talk about updates, I'm talking about apps that are not equal to their iOS/Android counterparts. For example, when a new feature arrives on Facebook that isn't added to the FB apps months later, that becomes a problem if you need or even just enjoy the feature.

I.e. Spotify, and Discover Weekly. Nowhere to be found on the mobile app for WP, but it's there's on iOS and Android. I happen to find songs that I like and are new to me from it.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
In the current internet environment, I do see regular updates as important from a security point of view. Regardless of WM's distant third place status in the mobile market, security is important to build and maintain trust, particularly as WM has a large business presence, at least in the UK. Apps which deal with credentials, bank details or personal info need to be able to be patched in the event of an issue.

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
One statement on the app gap. I am not denying it is real, but I bet 95% of people only use basic apps 95% of the time: calendar, alarm, phone, messaging, email, browser, maps, weather, news, and camera would cover most of what I see being done on phones every day. Heck, if we had to most of us could exist just fine with nothing on a phone but the ability to make calls, texts, and emails--I bet that covers at least 75% of all smartphone usage I see.

Might be, but when it is time to choose a phone, people are not gonna choose 75% when they can get 100% of the apps available on iOS or Android. and that is the point. As long as all the services and apps are leaving instead of coming to WP, it isn't going to grow.
It doesn't matter what people need, what matters is what people think they want. This is exactly the mistake that Nokia made when Apple turned up with iPhone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Might be, but when it is time to choose a phone, people are not gonna choose 75% when they can get 100% of the apps available on iOS or Android. and that is the point. As long as all the services and apps are leaving instead of coming to WP, it isn't going to grow.
It doesn't matter what people need, what matters is what people think they want. This is exactly the mistake that Nokia made when Apple turned up with iPhone.

The other thing to point out it's not about how many apps people use, it's the potential to have the opportunity to use them.

To put it another way, there's millions of programs (x86) for Windows PC, but not many people have all them and most don't even know they exist. Most people use just email and internet. Doesn't mean that those other programs shouldn't be available for those who do use them.

That's probably the one thing most people don't understand about the 'app gap'. I may not use the millions of apps on Android but it's nice to know I have the choice and the opportunity to try them out for myself to see if I will use them or not.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The other thing to point out it's not about how many apps people use, it's the potential to have the opportunity to use them.

To put it another way, there's millions of programs (x86) for Windows PC, but not many people have all them and most don't even know they exist. Most people use just email and internet. Doesn't mean that those other programs shouldn't be available for those who do use them.

That's probably the one thing most people don't understand about the 'app gap'. I may not use the millions of apps on Android but it's nice to know I have the choice and the opportunity to try them out for myself to see if I will use them or not.
You're right. I am not a heavy app user myself but you know that if you come into a situation that does need an app ie a new smartwatch, fitness tracker etc or simply trying to print a photo at your local walmart etc. it's almost guaranteed there will be one for iOS and Android, but not your Windows Phone. Then the ones that are available will either lack functionality at best or simply not work at worst.

A phone is about convenience as you said. With Windows Phone it sometimes feels like you are denying yourself this. Of course the hardcore fans will say "well just go then" but many of us are hanging around because we do like the platform and are simply hoping that UWP does take off.

The trouble is, I am not seeing much resurgence in this respect. Some say well Windows 10 mobile hasn't been out long enough, but then again wasn't the idea that the much larger Windows 10 Desktop supposed to drive this? It already has over 200 million installations. How much larger does it have to get before this happens? If it depends on Windows 10 mobile, then doesn't that put us back where we started?

I agree with the OP, we should be able to discuss this. I think in the 'war' between the so called 'haters' and the hardcore fans, those in the middle ie us get caught in the crossfire.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I am reminded of a study I read that indicated why people were dissatisfied with various car brands. Those purchasing Hummers were most unhappy with the gas mileage they were getting--well, Duh! It's like someone purchasing a compact car and then complaining about the size of the trunk. Same thing around phones--buy the phone that performs best for what you want and need, not what any of us are telling you. I have used Android pretty extensively and I could be fairly happy with that OS, but I found Windows benefits outweighed the negatives--for me! iPhones probably have the best app ecosystem hands down, so if apps are very important to you head over there. For the stuff I do nearly every day Windows works better so I like what we have. Could it be better? Sure!

Sin_Co

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
While I appreciate the myriad of ways I can use my phone, at the end of the day, I need my phone to be a phone first and foremost, and WP has not let me down. I actually followed Nokia, and I liked what they did with Symbian. I've tried Android and I hate the words force close with a passion! And too many sheeple have iPhone, I'm not the following type.

roystreet

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You are definitely not alone. I bought a Lumia 900 on launch day and stayed with WP until it became obvious that there wouldn't be any WP flagships for a while. I spent a year with a Note 4 and iPhone 6+ and then got a Note 5 when it was released. About 6 weeks ago I decided to give W10M a try so I bought a 950, then a 1520 and also a M8. Today I am buying a iPhone 6s Plus and selling the 1520 and M8 (the 950 is already gone). Windows 10 Mobile and the available hardware to run it just isn't as good as iOS or Android. It's just as simple as that.

phlamethrower -- You will enjoy your new iPhone...I do. I don't know how many times I've said to myself, I'm glad I purchased the 6s Plus. My last Windows phone was 1520, nice phone. When I'm investing several hundreds dollars in a phone, I consider it a long-term investment into the whole ecosystem. I don't buy based purely on the phone, but everything together.

I was a long time supporter of Microsoft.

Well, I was willing to stick it out for awhile. My wife & I both had 920's & 1520's. App quality many times was lacking. And the amount of apps that WM didn't have started to get me concerned. Then, MS not really updating very often or very well, it got me more concerned. A company that has to keep telling it's users we will continue to support the ecosystem doesn't make you comfortable either - Why do they need to? Does Apple need to do that? Does Google have to do that? Also, accessories, like a good watch not being available & other devices is a problem. I use apps way more than the browser, you may not.

I love the specialized experience in apps rather than on the web. I enjoy that I don't usually have to find a work around because I don't have an app or the app that is available is clunky. The idea of having your phone also be your computer is awesome in concept...But it's really only going to valuable for a select view, maybe mostly business users. I'd rather have the experience of the Surface Pro 3, than my phone. I had both. Plus, the chances of a phone being damaged, lost, or stolen is much higher with my phone than my Surface...Because I bring it more places. I lost a lot of confidence in MS even on the PC OS side of things & their services.

I switched back to what I enjoyed before. Great support, hardware is reliable, apps almost always available, plenty of hardware to go with it...etc. Even, as we know, MS apps are generally better on the iPhone (and I've heard Andriod also).

Was it a Good overall business decision for Microsoft to provide their services & better apps on other platforms, Yes, I would say it is. Going to another OS; Andriod or iOS will allow you to enjoy a lot of the work Microsoft has put into in the last couple years. Enjoying the fruit of their labor is mostly found on other platforms.

I do see that WM is picking up more OEM's and that's a good sign for the future. I've always thought, choose what works for you, not because others say it's better. My wife missed the live tiles & I indeed do also. Once she started seeing more apps, even local stores were available for the iPhone, you then see it's reaffirming we made the right decision. I like the GUI on WM, but not enough to go back. Especially when you don't know if it will drastically change in the future. I will say iOS has a fairly fliud and consistent experience.

Last edited:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been on WM since HP iPaq,Dell Axim, HTC TyTN days. So I have seen functionality come and go 2-3 times over. Not sure many people will know what a Compact Flash Type II card is. Can't say I am missing any apps; my bank app is there, I have a voice app to control lights/security, I have my NAS app, and my occasional games are there to pass down time. So I have what I need. I can say that I support the products that support my platform, so kudos to Synology and the Isy994i/pro. That's just the way it is.

But to answer the question, I am not that big into TV but guess DIRECTV can afford to put some mustard on their app.

anon(8145610)

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
They're app deniers.
It doesn't matter what apps aren't available, they're fine using whatever is.
Or they're just as happy using some third party app because it essentially does the same thing. That's not the point! As though I'm going to put credit card info into a third party Starbucks app? Not likely. I like WP and I definitely see the potential but am deeply disappointed by the missed opportunities. In contrast, my main driver is an iPhone 6. My work phone is an iPhone 5S. But I use a 640 as my burner and have a half dozen over WP's sitting around. If there were more media apps on WP it might make a difference but right now, I need the apps only available on iOS and Android - and to be blunt, I cannot stand Android.

thelegendarcy

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been in the Windows Phone community since Lumia 800, then had the 8X and now 1520. I honestly kept thinking of buying an Android phone but when I weigh the apps that I want versus the apps that I need, it's always the wants that wins. That's the reason why I'm still on my Lumia 1520, besides it's a phone, I work in front of computer 5 days a week so maybe that's the reason why I don't bother the need banking apps, games, or whatsoever. I am not much of a user who plays a game on phone so not having CoC or whatsoever doesn't even bother me.

For me, the "app gap" is a two way problem, developers don't bother bringing apps to windows platform because there were only few windows phone users, and users don't want to go to windows (mobile) platform because the apps that they need were not available. But in my opinion, I think it's the MSFT that should make a move to bring developers first so they can keep current users from switching (or get more users), which they've already done with UWP. I agree that apps don't get updated as often as it gets in other platform. But I think this will change once W10M update for current WP8.1 becomes available. Besides, twitter is now available on W10M and instagram though still in beta gets updated since its public availability.

I would like to try 950XL as well since Continuum has the potential (because so far Office suite are the only apps I can see that I'd be using on it), Iris scanner is the one that I'd love to have on my phone. These two features are the most ignored by other users and heard some people saying it's not relevant at this moment. Maybe, because it's not the Apple that introduced it.

Let's just hope for the best and for continuum to improve in the next builds so we can fully say W10M is a PC in our Pockets.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As though I'm going to put credit card info into a third party Starbucks app?
This is a very good point that is often glossed over. There is a reason these companies don't like third party apps. As much as we might think Starbucks etc are being asses, they have to protect their liability and they can only reasonably do that in house.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have actually enjoyed reading this thread. A civil discussion is so refreshing compared to other threads. So... I'll toss my 2 cents on the pile.

First, I have never owned an iPhone or Android phone. My first smart phone was a Palm Pre. After that an HTC Trophy then all windows phones to my current 950XL. I bought the 950 XL for the hardware features, not the apps. The apps I need are all available and the hardware features are more important to me, like wireless charging, awesome camera, continuum, etc. But that's me and I know not everyone is like me. For most people, apps are the most important thing. Even though I'm satisfied with the app selection, I'm not satisfied with the lack of essential apps. True, I'll probably never use them but others want or need them so they should be available if Windows Mobile will survive. And since I love the interface and hardware, I have a vested interest in the platform surviving. So I'll push for apps whenever I can. I have written emails to encourage apps for windows. I even have downloaded a few apps and tried them just to support the app. Heck, I downloaded the Instagram app and created an account just to try it and haven't used it since.

I think MS is going in the right direction focusing more on enterprise. Continuum is cool and the potential of the HP Elite X3 is pretty amazing to think about. If businesses adopt the "one device for everything" philosophy it will increase the user base which should bring more app development which will bring more individual users to the table. isn't that how we wound up with a PC in every home? Time will tell but one thing is certain without a full selection of popular apps, windows phone will never be mainstream in places that are already dominated by Android and iPhone (which is pretty much everywhere isn't it?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon