Windows 10 can't activate after a clean installation?

Praj

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then did a clean installation using media creation tool.. After installation i can't activate it. It says that 'device doesn't have a digital entitlement or product key'. I tried to enter the product key that i got using produkey in Windows 10 but still out doesn't get activated and shows the same error

davede

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 can't Activated after a clean installation

I think you have to wait a bit more. Take a breath and try tomorrow.

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site

Probably it wasn't activated after the upgrade.
Since, version 1511, you can activate using a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 key. But, your key is already consumed in your 8.1 installation.
Also remember, you need to reinstall the same version of Windows 10 for it to get activated. For eg: if you had home edition of 8.1 and upgraded it, you need to reinstall Windows 10 Home, not Pro.

Your options -
1. Try convincing the support staff using the telephone activation system.
2. Clean install 8.1, upgrade it to 10. Confirm that it is activated. Then re-install Windows 10.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

You can use the W8 key built in to your device. The only requirement is that it needs to be activated in the original OS first. Let me guess, you bought a new W8 device cheap and upgraded it to W10 before activating W8? If so, you'll need to reinstall W8, activate it online, then you can clean install W10.

Praj

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Windows 8.1 was activated before upgrading. I used it for 3-4 months before upgrading and Windows 10 was also activated after upgrade but not now.

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site

Windows 8.1 was activated before upgrading. I used it for 3-4 months before upgrading and Windows 10 was also activated after upgrade but not now.

Might sound dumb, but did you change/replace your motherboard?
If not, you need to talk to MS's support rep to get it activated.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

This happened to me on one of my machines. I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows 10 had been activated and I used it for awhile. Later I did a clean reinstall. It would not activate. I finally just left it unactivated, and when I checked the status a few days later it was activated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon