Your Windows 10 Anniversary Review

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[TIP]Basic tip

If you're having any issues with your device, try a reset.

Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > This provides you with two options: 1. keep my files and 2. remove everything[/TIP]

[NOTE]Keep my files

Does just as its name describes. If you choose the setting you can reinstall Windows 10 without having to back up any of the pictures, videos, music and documents that you have stored on it. You absolutely should back up these things just in case, but you shouldn’t need to use that back up. Keep My Files requires a certain amount of free space on your device. As such, it may be unavailable to you if your device is stuffed with a lot of files. If you get an error message asking for more storage when you choose this option you’ll need to back up your files and choose the remove everything option. You could also delete any files that you aren’t using on your device and try the option again. This option will take longer than the other options.[/NOTE]

[NOTE]Remove Everything

Deletes every file, every setting from your device and gives you a blank copy of Windows 10 to work with. You’ll need to add any files you have backed up to your device again.[/NOTE]

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
My experience with my family's HP laptops was flawless. Since Microsoft is using their "wave" roll-out method, and, well, I just plain old wanted it. I followed the link to the Media Creator application posted by Windows Central. Only difference, I chose the Upgrade Now right at the top of the page, and that did the job.

First impressions - Very long installation. We all have top-end equipment, but it still took 1-2 hours to upgrade. After the upgrade process was complete, there were a few app updates, nothing major. Everything looked and felt great! The WiFi drop issues have been resolved, the systems are incredibly stable, and fast - MUCH faster. Overall, VERY impressed.

On a Side Note - I know that the Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Edition is near completion in a couple of weeks. But as I love what has been done so far, I went ahead and snagged the Insider Preview of 14393.5 (1607) for my AT&T locked Lumia 950 - flawless. I use my phone constantly for personal and business and I have had ZERO issues. Battery-life has improved, no WiFi drops, app problems, nothing...

Kudos to Microsoft, and kudos to Windows Central for all the hard work you have done to keep us informed, and deliver the best!

Last edited:

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The updated on the PC went Smooth, I triggered it remotely, and when I got home, it was pretty much ready to go.
My tablet is fussy, only 32Gb, so I had to use my SD card to hold the update, which doesn't always go well. Well, it went great as well. Let it go over night, and this AM it's just the finishing touches.

Nice update when it works as expected!

P4geD0wn

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I hate the new star menu. Is there a way to hide all apps view. I really dislike it.
I have my most used aplication pined to taskbar. And the apps that i use less frequently pinned in star menu. AND I REALLY DONT NEED APP APPS SHOWN IN MY FACE EVERY TIME I OPEN DAMN START MENU.

jigzaw

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
The upgrade went smoothly on my MSI notebook FX720 i52400m with Nvidia GT520M which had slight issues migrating to W10 from W7. On my AMD FX8310 desktop is another story, won't install the W10 anniversary update when everything went well before. No error reported first then failed to boot second time while the upgrade was running. Still have the patience to do the upgrade but my patience is running thin.
:angry:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So no way even with register?

So I looked around the Bingosphere for you and found this: How to move or remove apps in All Apps in the Windows 10 start menu - gHacks Tech News

Looks to be a major PITA doing it by hand. And looks like every App update throws it back into play and you have to repeat the process.

You really don't want any Apps there? Or just some of them? I get the impression if you remove them all from the All Apps view you are left with a blank panel still and will not reclaim the space...

P4geD0wn

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I want them to be hidden like before, since i used them every couple of months (if I forgot to use search). There really is no point in having them visable every time I open start menu. What I use all the time is pinned to taskbar, what I use less frequent is pinned to start menu, and what I don't need (whole folders for example) should be hidden. Seriously what was wrong with old start menu????????????!!!!!

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I want them to be hidden like before, since i used them every couple of months (if I forgot to use search). There really is no point in having them visable every time I open start menu. What I use all the time is pinned to taskbar, what I use less frequent is pinned to start menu, and what I don't need (whole folders for example) should be hidden. Seriously what was wrong with old start menu????????????!!!!!

Perhaps letting MS know might help. If enough complain they may change it back or have an option to select. I kind of like the change. I think the icon idea it's a good one but just have to get used to it is all. Personally my biggest problem with the AU is the lack of ability to disable the lock screen through the registry or group policy (I have pro). The option is there in group policy but does nothing. It is now limited to enterprise and education editions.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
How do i get the update and check if i got it?

You can check your version by going to System Information (use Cortana to search). AU version is 1607. Just do a search on the web (Bing or any other search engine of your liking) and search for how to get the anniversary update now if you don't have it and it doesn't show in automatic updates.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
For me the biggest change has been on my Surface Pro 3 and my wife's Surface Pro, rather than it sitting next to my desktop and acting like a mini desktop, the changes have allowed for a much improved tablet experience with my only issue being that the controls for changing to Start screen and all apps would have been better off being lower down so I don't have to take my finger all the way up to the top left of the screen.

So I am happy that I now have a device with a better tablet experience and at the swipe of my right hand I can revert to a desktop experience if needed.

On my desktop without a touch screen, I doubt I will use Ink very much, I do prefer the Skype UWP over the old desktop program (Left on but not now auto starting) for admin purposes.

I cannot say I was overwhelmed by the Xbox One update, in fact I preferred the way the top commands sprang out when you got to the store to reveal the games, apps, films and music, the new single page looks messy.

I await the update for my phone.

And I am still miffed at Microsoft about the one thing they took out and that is SMS messaging linked across devices and no time frame for making calls from my PC using my mobile, but this is the Skype department of MS we are talking about and I am convinced the only reason we got the UWP from them was because MS threatened them with the "New" apps (Now discontinued) and said if you don't pull your finger out we will go ahead and make a new version of Skype without you.

Edit: In counter to some I have to say I am impressed with Windows 10 and the anniversary update on all our devices, running fast and just one or two small hiccups that were soon sorted.

Last edited:

Clamdigger63

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have to a clean install. The things I have found so far
Everything Crawls and is so slow. From mouse movements to clicking on drop down menus etc. Software also
Edge is also slow and I can never shut it down. Close button will close every window/tab open except the last one. Web sites crash like crazy.
Quicken refuses to download transactions from by bank accounts. It says no internet connection available.
Groove keeps stopping (but probably not anything new).

Last edited:

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Same here, new Asus Lamborghini ended up in pc repairs, totally bricked after update. Was told by very knowledgeable young tech guy that they are inundated with bricked laptops/ pc's with the same problem. No way in to reboot. So complete new build back in windows 7. They are scathing about 10, as is pc world, It's designed for touch screen mobiles not pc. Think about it. None of us have a license key to reinstall, It's a digital entitlement, nothing else, Ms own the software on your machines, not you, nothings free in this world so bad idea all round. Ti stand over their work they recommended 7, so I'm happy. Can't believe how fast it is again, no WiFi issues, 28sec constant start up, quick to end, loads programmes like it should, simply flies, It's a top end machine and now behaving like one. So going back with the 4 other machines we have in the house to reload Windows 7, there will be no 10 in this house until we're all battered out of 7 kicking and screaming, no faith or trust in MS now whatever but at least you can still get the best platform they ever made. I doubt very much if Windows 10 will ever be right, pity because it does look really good. Too slow, buggy, inconsistent and now you have basically no control whatsoever of your own pc's. Let's see where this all goes, but in the meantime what's to stop them saying right, your years 'free trial' is up, let's get your money now if you want to continue? No guarantees is there? Don't forget, we have no license key, have a look.

Last edited:

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I will say that I to had the pc not boot up. Did a clean install, which I had intended on in September any way, and everything runs smoothly now. The problem was not really a surprise given the issues that plagued many back when W10 was first released and the update from a previous version. While I think W7 is a good OS, I'm moving on. There are nearly always problems at the beginning when MS releases a major version (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10) so I expect it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon