Secondary Hard Disk Vanishes on AU update!

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Secondary HDD containing my back up file vanished on AU update!

It shows up as unallocated space in partition manger!

were *** appears fully functional on win 8.1 i have on the same pc and before anyone asks NO i dont have any os partition on the secondary HDD!

really bummed about this as most of my files are on the secondary HDD that i use frequently!

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Secondary HDD containing my back up file vanished on AU update!

It shows up as unallocated space in partition manger!

were *** appears fully functional on win 8.1 i have on the same pc and before anyone asks NO i dont have any os partition on the secondary HDD!

really bummed about this as most of my files are on the secondary HDD that i use frequently!
I had this problem with my external 2TB hard drive and wrote about it here. Windows doesn't recognize the drive and when I open the Disk Management the disk shows up as "unallocated" as if all data is gone. It was obviously a WTF moment but luckily in my case (I hope yours too), disk was still intact, it's just Windows fails to recognize it. Mine was external drive so it was easy to verify this by plugging it into another PC without AU. Mine was just a File History target drive so I just reformatted it to use it again.

Is your drive also Bitlocker enabled like mine was? I wonder if it's specific to Bitlocked drives...

There is a number of people reporting this issue in Feedback Hub. MS really should fix this before pushing AU to everyone. It's a scary bug and will cause a lot of grief.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Yup really gave an heart attack when i couldnt find it and on seeing unallocated feared the worst that it had been wiped, but it is intact on win 8.1 on the same system and works. Really dont want to wipe the drive just for win 10 to recognise! Hope there is a fix for this!

My drive wasnt bitlocker enabled i think!

Seriously this has given me second thought about these compulsory updates, in older versions of windows we could just wait it out a week or something before upgrading, but this hot push of updates and breaking stuff is really bad!

I mean imagine non tech people waking up and finding their whole drive missing, due to thi forced automatic updates!

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
+1 here ! After anniversary update my secondary drive, which I use for Photos/Music/Videos, not seen in FileManager, and DiskManagement shows this disk as existing but with unallocated space.
Do I understand it correct, that currently there's no fix recipe, other than reading "missing" disk on another system?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
+1 here ! After anniversary update my secondary drive, which I use for Photos/Music/Videos, not seen in FileManager, and DiskManagement shows this disk as existing but with unallocated space.
Do I understand it correct, that currently there's no fix recipe, other than reading "missing" disk on another system?
If you don't want to remove the drive, you could boot your PC to something like Parted Magic Live CD, save the data over to a new drive (external maybe). Then reboot to W10-AU and reformat the problematic drive and restore data.

You could also just roll back the AU (I assume you will get your drive back). But I wouldn't expect MS to release a fix soon because this problem was first reported several months back according to Feedback Hub.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There must be a commonality between these drives. I've read forum posts on many sites about this issue - mostly coming from Linux duel-booters - but don't see a common thread.

Could it be a specific formatting that was done with the drives? Were all the drives formatted to FAT32 or NTFS on a specific version of Windows (XP, Vista, or 7?) Were they factory formatted and never reformatted once connected?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No Linux in my case. These are big hard drives for Windows so most are probably on NTFS. Mine was Bitlocker enabled but it doesn't look like that's a common attribute either. Maybe MS should open a big thread on Microsoft answers.com requesting for user data like they did for the famous Wifi issue for W10M. But alas, that site is down and won't let me sign in. Maybe the servers are getting jammed from people running into various AU update issues.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine is dual booted but with win 8.1 thank god for it i can atleast access the back up drive and no its safe!

MS really should look into this, if this was reported in insider and then without fixing it they have force pushed an update breaking things! Its one thing to have little niggle but to make whole drive full of data disappear and to ignore it and release it forcefully in to the wild!

When you ask MS answer its the same old BS open control panel use trouble shoot... If M ha to lay off jobs i hope thee guy are first on the list, i mean cortana can do a better job answering these kind of preset answers!

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I will backup before I do the update. I think it is a good thing for everyone to do.

It is and i would think it for say my primary drive, but here the issue i primary disk were all the stuff happens isnt affected but rather the secondary back up one were its affected! People have even reported not just secondary drive but external HDD which is the most used for backup too having the same issue!

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine is a secondary drive, the people reporting external drives would mot likely wouldn't have connected it during back up either!

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Some cumulative update showed up for Win10. Wonder if it contains the fix. Nothing on it in aforementioned reddit thread so far. I wait till it's confirmed, because installing updates and rolling back is quite annoying.

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Nope jut got the cumulative update was really eager to see my drive back but nope it not fixed for me!

Others pls do share if it gets fixed with the update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes