How is notification synchronization working for you?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the notification center text-message now, but if I try to click on them, it pulls up my Messaging app, which is still hosed (back to my 7/29 dated messages).
For me it's even worse: Clicking a text on my PC opens the store on the Skype+messaging page, where I can then click 'open' since it's already installed, sending me to a blank messaging app. Great user experience /s

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One more data point. Two text messages from 24 minutes ago just came in on my PC, right after a new WhatsApp message arrived on my phone. I wonder if there's some bug that gets messages stuck somehow.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
My main issue is with Messenger. Not all messages sync between devices, only certain ones.
It would be nice if all messages synced so no matter what device you are on you have access to all the messages.
For example, if I am on my Surface and I get a text message it should automatically be on both the surface and my 950xl.

Vredesbyrd

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
So figured id just give my experience with synced notifications, more data the better. I only use it for a handful of apps. Most important being sms on desktop through the action center. They were hit or miss towards the end of rs1 development. I only have one computer i use, an asus zenbook, so I didnt install any rs1 builds until the very end of development when they were said to be stable. I need it to run flawlessly for work, and for peace of mind. I am very ocd about having a perfectly running machine. Everything was working great besides notifications. Sometimes they would come through delayed, sometimes not at all. Often not dismissing properly. I like to do clean installs once "RTM" is released, even if Its just a few insider builds that were installed consecutively. 90% of my installed programs are portable so its no big deal. I opted to use the refresh tool because I found it does a better job at wiping everything nice and clean, more so than a reset. Its seems to be the closest to a true clean install in my experience.

Anyway, after the refresh all notifications are working flawlessly. This is between a lumia 640 running 14393.82 and a zenbook running the same. They come in almost instantly and dismiss properly as well. Now, it obviously should not take a fresh install to work properly. The general populace cannot be expected to take such measures. With the new W.A.A.S model, everything is riding on consecutive updates not mucking anything up. Since windows (and any major OS) is now in what is arguably a perpetual state of beta (peeps are all feature junkies nowadays!) it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I am of the more optimistic camp. Once a major update hits "rtm" , the cumulative updates will hopefully iron out any issues that remain. Rs1 does seem a lot more polished (under the hood and UI) than threshold. And now that OneCore is getting more mature, hopefully it is all up from here. Stability has to be number one!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
after the refresh all notifications are working flawlessly. This is between a lumia 640 running 14393.82 and a zenbook running the same. They come in almost instantly and dismiss properly as well.
Awesome. When you say they dismiss properly, do you mean 'dismissing on one device also dismisses it on the other'?

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Right now I'm having the issue where only the phone's notifications are going to the my laptop and there does seem to be some lag. Sometimes it is instant, like I had a facebook notification come to my laptop and sometimes there's lag. Like I'll hear my phone go off with someone replying to a comment of mine in WC, but the notification will not show up on my laptop right away. Hopefully these bugs will be sorted out soon! I'd rather not to a refresh on my laptop if I don't have to.

palmujukka

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Timing is the main issue for me too. The notification for a text message came instantly but the notification for a low battery warning came one hour later. It could be related to the battery saver thought.

Vredesbyrd

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Awesome. When you say they dismiss properly, do you mean 'dismissing on one device also dismisses it on the other'?

Correct. Though I obviously cannot guarantee that a reset/refresh will solve it for everyone. And I know thats overkill for such an issue. I just happened to plan on doing a clean install anyway. And to clarify, I refreshed my laptop, haven't had to do a hard reset on mobile for quite some time. Also, though it should't be related or matter. Phone is on release preview, i do not leave my laptop on any insider builds after 'rtm', its only on 14393.82 because ill install release preview cumulative updates via .cab sometimes.

Last edited:

wcshane

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity, would your phone carrier have any affect on the timing of messages? I know it should be instantaneous but thought that may play a part. I have the 950 on AT&T and get messages on both my desktop and phone from friends but I have gotten a couple of messages from AT&T and they do not show up on my computer. Also, message are only incoming, outgoing messages never arrive to recipient.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
No luck with my notifications with my Nexus. I always get two notifications and when I dismiss them on one, they stay on the other one. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Looked through settings and all and still no updated messages in the messaging app on the pc. Also cannot send messages from the messages app.
It shows messages from over a month ago and back but that is all.
I do get notifications on my pc from my phone so notifications seem to be working fine but not actual messaging.
I wish I could uninstall the messaging app and reinstall but it won't let me as it is part of the OS I suppose.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I get text message notifications on my PC but hitting the notification opens up Messaging with no result. I presume this has stopped working now. If so, why the actionable notification?

wcshane

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I just got one to work. The messaging app does not work for me, I can only type a message and select a contact but the "send" button remains grayed out and I cannot select it.

1 - Type into Cortana the word "Text".
2 - Under "Best Match" it should say "Text" followed by "Send a message"
3 - Add the number and message and hit send.

Mine worked almost instantly. I sent the message to my phone and it arrived within a few seconds. After it was sent, I got one confirmation saying it was sent followed by 2 more confirmations saying "Can't Send". Might be because I have a laptop that is turned off or because I have a Lumia 640 that it is trying to communicate with?

wcshane

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I think I have started to figure this out. I tried to respond from my phone to my computer but only my phone got the message. I then did the say process as above but using my phone and it worked.

So to me this only works if you are using Cortana to send the message, whether it is from your phone or computer.

Anybody else get it to work?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I get text message notifications on my PC but hitting the notification opens up Messaging with no result. I presume this has stopped working now. If so, why the actionable notification?

Yeah, isn't that uber-irritating? Why pop up the useless messaging app anyway?

What's even more interesting (IMHO) is if you very carefully single-click on the message, a box will appear under it, and you can reply in that text box. Of course the message never actually sends, but you can reply, hmm...

It's completely whacked right now, I can't imagine what a review of this must look like.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got one to work. The messaging app does not work for me, I can only type a message and select a contact but the "send" button remains grayed out and I cannot select it.

1 - Type into Cortana the word "Text".
2 - Under "Best Match" it should say "Text" followed by "Send a message"
3 - Add the number and message and hit send.

Mine worked almost instantly. I sent the message to my phone and it arrived within a few seconds. After it was sent, I got one confirmation saying it was sent followed by 2 more confirmations saying "Can't Send". Might be because I have a laptop that is turned off or because I have a Lumia 640 that it is trying to communicate with?

I tried this, after seeing it. No dice.

However, I can send via Outlook/hotmail, on the same machine to "1234567890@txt.att.net", takes maybe 1-1.5 seconds, basically instant. I can also use the AT&T Messaging app, which works, but it's terrible for following threads across multiple numbers, particularly MMS.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So, I have just noticed that if you catch the Test Message pop-up and type right in it you can send and it will send from your phone.
Nothing shows up in the messaging app though.

Edit: I do get a message that the action cannot be completed on my phone, but I have confirmed that the text message does go through.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I think I have started to figure this out. I tried to respond from my phone to my computer but only my phone got the message. I then did the say process as above but using my phone and it worked.

So to me this only works if you are using Cortana to send the message, whether it is from your phone or computer.

Anybody else get it to work?

It has worked for me to reply through the actionable notification on my laptop, but also the messaging app on the laptop itself is not usable (send button is greyed out) and only have my texts up the end of last month. I'm assuming since they're changing it to integrate sms within the UWP skype app, they have probably disabled the messaging app. Though if that's the case they should just get rid of it as an app.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I threw some SMS messages back and forth with a spare phone and the sync works with fairly decent speed. Being able to send text messages back through the PC without touching my phone is wonderful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon