TPM user password after W10 Anniversary Update - Where is it?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Whilst installing W10 I had boot issues that I resolved, but whilst fault finding another serious problem came up. I tried to reset the TPM lock and it asked for my TPM user password or file. Ok, new behaviour. So I tried, but neither the file nor the manually entered password was recognised. Yikes! So, I decrypted everything and cleared the TPM. Upon initializing it, W10 popped up with a message stating it had initialized the TPM and stored the user password away so I don't have to enter it for most things. OK, but if I want to reset the lock out or change the user password in TPM.MSC I need to provide it. What's more, if I have hardware failure and need to save the drive I can't access it in another PC without the user password. So, where has Windows saved the password file? I can't find it anywhere. Please help, as this is clearly a very risky situation. I need that TPM password file to back up ASAP. [Please note this is NOT the Bitlocker key or pin, this is about the TPM used through the TPM.MSC utility.]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon